• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Submariner 16610 Buying Guide

• Thread starter d4m.test
  • Start date
D

d4m.test

I write this guide with a very selfish reason. The sub has been rep'd so much but hasn't been to the standard the new models are rep'd, such as the PAM Ferrari's, Big Bang, etc. But maybe the dealers and factories see the demand is still strong, we might have a chance of getting a better sub than now. I think by raising our standards and awareness, we all wear better subs and hopefully get a 1:1 rep some day.

Generally speaking, the F520117 (the serial number on this particular sub) submariner (aka noobmariner/nymphomariner/beginmariner/etc.) is the best out-of-the-box sub rep, irregardless of price. The biggest complaint about it is its shallower rehaut, which IMHO is exaggerated. All in all some people are bothered by it. MBW/TW Best are supposedly the answer to those who demand a deeper rehaut at the expense of not getting the superior frontal of the F520117 sub. But they don't make the MBW like they used to. Sigh!! Both the current MBW and TW Best have its issue. So does the new Watchmaker9 so called 1:1 sub (which isn't covered in this review but in short, it ain't 1:1 quite yet). So there's no easy answer to "who has the best sub". This guide is to dig deep into each sub's strengths and weaknesses, what exactly the signatures of the sub are, how the various versions differ, what you should look at and look for when choosing a sub. You might regret reading this guide 'cause it trains your eyes to see the flaws which you didn't use to see.

Nitpicking
I'm going to point out the signatures of a sub with respect to the common rep flaws. Very nitpicky.

Rehaut
Depth
Everybody knows rehaut should be deep. The gen rehaut 2mm deep I was told. While you can't measure it in a pic, it's pretty easy to tell.
Gen rehaut, deep and almost cylindrical, only slightly conical:
BlackSubmariner46.jpg

submarinergreen28.jpg

Borrowed from By-Tor's Noobmariner review, this pic clearly shows the noobmariners' (offered by many dealers under different names) shorter rehaut.
ByTorNoob01.jpg

Rehaut being too conical is another flaw which can be found on Josh's/Ruby's/Angus'/Silix's/Sash's/Andrew's Ultimate. It looks like a wok:
conicalsub01.gif

conicalsub02.gif

Thickness
Last thing about rehaut. It's little known and talked about but it's an important Rolex signature. Rehaut has a thickness of a little less than the width of a black sub 6 o'clock indice. MBW, TW Best, and the noobmariners got that quite right.
Gen:
Sub_rehaut_thickness.jpg

Noobmariner vs a cn sub:
NoobVsCNSub1.jpg

MBW:
IMG_1666-1.jpg

Vipmariner's rehaut is deeper than the noobmariners' but not as deep as the gen's or the MBW's, a bit conical but not nearly as conical as the joshs and barely noticeable in real life, is about as thick as the joshs so not quite thick enough. The net is it has a bigger dial diameter than the real thing, the noobmariners, the joshs, the MBW, and the TW Best. When I put a noobmariner dial in the VIPmariner case, there's a bigger clearance from the minute markers to the rehaut. Check out my VIP-no-date-mariner. I take that rehaut over the noobmariners' for one more reason, thin crystal gasket (to be covered later):
IMG_1212.jpg

IMG_1208.jpg

MBW. Look at the deep (2.1mm, so 0.1mm deeper), thick, and cylindrical rehaut that is close to the gen's:
mbwlv08.jpg

MBW on the left, gen on the right
rehaut.jpg

River's TW Best has the same rehaut as the MBW. This pic from River was taken too close to the watch so the rehaut looks warped and therefore conical. But you can see the rehaut thickness pretty well here:
DSCN4960.jpg

And if you look back at Sash's, it doesn't have nearly enough rehaut thickness.

Crystal
Gasket
Crystal gasket should be thin. Look at the gen pics above. The weakest in this department is the noobmariners. Again borrowed from By-Tor, you see a thicker band of grey above the rehaut.
rehaut_nb.jpg

gen on the right
comparison_nb.jpg

Though not a major sub rep, WBK's is a good example of having a thick crystal gasket.
WBKLV001.jpg

All other reps have very decent, thin crystal gaskets.

Beveling
Gen's crystal is beveled like this. The entire portion above the insert should be beveled. The MBW and TW Best mimic the very well:
TTSubmariner17.jpg

The noobmariners are pretty good but still left part of it straight.
noob_crystal_bevel.jpg

The other reps fall short on the beveling entirely.
VIPmariner:
IMG_1315.jpg

the joshs:
IMG_1089.jpg

But you know what? I find if the the crystal sits high enough (1mm on the gen) above the insert, the bevel error isn't that noticeable. So look for crystal height first.

Height
The crystal should be 1mm above the insert. If you put a gen insert in a MBW or TW Best, the crystal sticks out a little more than the gen's. it because the gen insert is flatter than the MBW/TW Best stock insert. Most other reps don't have enough crystal above the insert. You want to mill the insert thinner.

Bezel
Teeth
Bezel teeth on the gen are long and sharp. That's a very significant signature. Sub's bezel teeth are not that pointy unlike the Seadweller. MBW has that down really well. MBW bezel is simply gorgeous. TW Best are ranked second, followed by the VIPmariner and joshs, and then the noobmariner which has the shortest teeth. Please look at pics above. TW Best's bezel teeth are nice and long but the factory decided to polish them a little extra. So they have slightly rounded edges, lost that sharp teeth look.
TW Best bezel teeth:
IMG_1277.jpg

Thickness
Gen's bezel is thicker on the bottom part than reps' except MBW's and TW Best's.
Gen:
Picture012.jpg

MBW:
ttkmbw04.jpg

TW Best:
IMG_1285_640.jpg

The noobmariners have thick bezels but they are thicker on the side instead of the bottom which still is a good look from a distance. The VIPmariner and the joshs both have thin bottoms.
Left is noob, right is a cn sub with bezel thickness like the VIPmariner and the joshs.
NoobVsHuisSub3.jpg

Insert
Insert Pearl
I put insert pearl in its own section because it's such an important signature of the sub. Most people don't know the construction of the insert pearl since it's so small. What makes up the look? So for the 1st time, insert pearl fully disclosed.
At an angle, the pearl seems to fill the ring edge to edge. But this spherical edge-to-edge thingie is just a shinny, clear cover.
IMG_1364.jpg

Under the cover, the real white pearl sit recessed inside the ring.
IMG_1360.jpg

This is why the pearl looks recessed but look at it from angle it's not.
This little known construction is what makes it look like it does.
IMG_1353.jpg

IMG_1343.jpg

It confuses the hell out of our rep makes. Or do they actually care? Some pearls are pretty funny-looking.
The Zit
IMG_1366.jpg

The Flat-top
twbestpearl.jpg

Some reps have decent pearls. Courtesy of Dukie:
subpearl1np5.jpg

Or this one:
joshpearl.jpg
Some not so good. This noobmariner has a zit:
noobpearl.jpg

Don't pick a sub rep by the pearl though. The pearl can be fixed but something like rehaut cannot. You can replace the pearl with a watchmaterial pearl which has the same construction as the gen but of course not perfect (pearl is slightly yellowy but at normal distnaces, it really looks like the gen. Check my VIP-no-date-mariner above too)
IMG_1361.jpg

Unfinished...long way to go

piratedzeus

I'm Pretty Popular
17/12/06
Sorry not the Review of the Week... this will get MUCH better!

Stick this threadthen ! Thank you very VERY much!

piratedzeus

I'm Pretty Popular
17/12/06
You don't mention the VIPmariner. Would prefer the VIP 28,.8kvpb with the old dial over a Noobmariner with 28.8k movement?

D

d4m.test

piratedzeus said:
You don't mention the VIPmariner. Would prefer the VIP 28,.8kvpb with the old dial over a Noobmariner with 28.8k movement?

Will cover VIPmariner, both versions

piratedzeus

I'm Pretty Popular
17/12/06
Great... this rep would be so great... but those not flat "A"s.. are baad

Sylar

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
17/1/07
Very nice review BK, looking forward for the VIP as I have two on the way. Your pictures are great.

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
Good work BK. Tim sent me a VIPmariner as a b-day present... so I'll probably review that too... and compare it to the Nooby. But hey... the more the merrier. ;)

piratedzeus

I'm Pretty Popular
17/12/06
By-Tor said:
Good work BK. Tim sent me a VIPmariner as a b-day present... so I'll probably review that too... and compare it to the Nooby. But hey... the more the merrier. ;)

Wow...! The more the reviews the better... if I had the opportunity I would do one too

jiro

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
10/12/06
this is great. should be a sticky when it's finished.

thanks bk. :D

brook0

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/4/07
Excellent work. These types of posts are the best! Point out the differences and the buyer can pick out what is the least offensive flaw.
Thank you sir, i appreciat the great effort you put into this lesson. :D

MZ

Known Member
23/2/07
Wow, thanks for putting that together bklm1234!

Great work!

I might even start thinking about getting a sub :D

Rollex

Renowned Member
3/3/07
Holly Crap BK!!

This Guide should have been made long long ago!

Glade you stepped in and did it cause your the man for the job!

Extremely well done and I cannot wait to learn more!!!

If you need any help or photo's, feel free to ask!

[smilie=notworthy.gif] [smilie=notworthy.gif] [smilie=notworthy.gif]

D

d4m.test

Insert pearl section added. Enjoy.

-bk

ken1

18/3/07
excellent guide. hopefully people will read this and stop posting "WHO has the BEST sub?!"

SD4K

Renowned Member
25/10/06
Great idea! Thank you very much.
Communityguides are just great!

Stick it! :D

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
Great Post BK! You have taken the Submariner to a whole new level. Like everyone says, this will make a great sticky and should be mandatory reading for all noobs.