• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Clean Factory No-Date Submariner Review w/ Macro Shots

teh_ham

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/6/21
I'll keep this review brief.

Fortunately, the no-date submariners' best feature is indeed the no-date, with the lack of one, means for rep purposes, there is less to get wrong and less to scrutinize - the date wheel and cyclops are easy tells IMO. Although, what drew me to it was the clean aesthetic and timeless design - the original 'Bond' watch. It looks absolutely fantastic on a NATO or leather strap.

I took a walk down to my local jewelers to try on gen, just so I had something to mentally compare it to, but all things considered, you really don't need to compare this watch, it simply just gets it right.
  • The bezel is silky smooth, satisfying click action, with just a tiny bit of play.
  • The bezel insert is fantastic, sharp font, nicely coated platinum, and has a beautiful glossy black finish.
  • The dial is perfect, deep black, nice sharp text, well finished and correctly aligned hour markers.
  • The crystal is excellent - sitting as it should.
  • The hands are very good and very gen like.
  • The lume is great, very sensitive to light, and long-lasting. It's hard to comment on this one, as I've held very few reps and even fewer gens, but compared to my other divers watches the lume is acceptable.
  • Movement is keeping excellent time - no issues here.
  • Adjusting the hands is typical for a rep movement, a bit of play from the second hand, a little bit tight, and a not-so-friendly screw down. Doesn't bother me - but thought I would mention it.
  • Finishing is very good - I'll let the photos do the talking.
Any questions, feel free to ask or drop me a DM.

H S

Smuggler
Patron
Certified
10/6/21
USA
Nice review. Thank you. Had I not recently purchased the ZZF V3 version, this piece would have probably been my next acquisition.

I concur with your sentiment regarding the "no-date" feature. One less thing to scrutinize and I like having a different "look" compared to my other reps. That's probably why I've been wearing it exclusively the past 4 days. lol

Reactions: P..DR..D

ChronoKitsune

Known Member
11/10/21
Down Under
I concur with your sentiment regarding the "no-date" feature. One less thing to scrutinize

Aaaaand that's exactly why I decided to pay $105 for a U1 no date instead of $400 - $500 for a high tier sub.

I had just dropped $550 on a clean GMT and I was feeling the sub... but my wallet wasn't. I looked into the medium tier reps and found that all of the date wheels and Cyclops's looked kinda bad so I had a genius idea... buy a no date sub! I think the no date, medium tier rep is the best value for money rep that someone can buy while looking relatively close to the real thing.

shyreplover

Renowned Member
12/6/06
That looks nice.
I agree with the sentiment that buying a no date subc would eliminate the problems with dw and cyclops.
I'm not up to date with the current state of no date subc, but what I gathered here is that the no date subc all have the wrong case as the case they are using is the date case. Is it also true for this Clean fac version?

Last edited:

efk95

Supporter
Certified
16/5/21
Bahrain
If you’re new to the rep scene, or have been out and planning to get back, I think this is one watch that will tell you how great reps have become over time!

Appreciate your review and shots sir.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: Hesekiel

teh_ham

18/6/21
That looks nice.
I agree with the sentiment that buying a no date subc would eliminate the problems with dw and cyclops.
I'm not up to date with the current state of no date subc, but what I gathered here is that the no date subc all have the wrong case as the case they are using is the date case. Is it also true for this Clean fac version?

This isn’t something I considered - there is no visible difference from my eyes.

Anything specific that is different between the date and no-date case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teh_ham

18/6/21
teh_ham Thanks for the review and photos.

May I ask which camera was used to capture these amazing shots?

The camera is my Nikon D500 and the lens is a really cheap Sigma EX 50mm 2.8, I don’t do macro photography, but this lens is a little gem for things like this

shyreplover

Renowned Member
12/6/06
This isn’t something I considered - there is no visible difference from my eyes.

Anything specific that is different between the date and no-date case?

The crown guard on the no date subc is slimmer.

J_rwi

21/2/21
Canada
The camera is my Nikon D500 and the lens is a really cheap Sigma EX 50mm 2.8, I don’t do macro photography, but this lens is a little gem for things like this

I don't do much macros either but I think I can add a lens like that gem to my Nikon D5600. Thanks for inspiration.

Last edited:

mrln

Supporter
25/11/20
EU
thank you for this thread. i was actually as good as cured, what a no date concerns. but after your photos the desire is now greater again. great job! :thumbup:

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
Really nice watch, mate. Great shots of this beauty! Those CF hands look awesome in the last picture...

Last edited:

RoloDexie

19/4/22
New Hampshire
I'll keep this review brief.

Fortunately, the no-date submariners' best feature is indeed the no-date, with the lack of one, means for rep purposes, there is less to get wrong and less to scrutinize - the date wheel and cyclops are easy tells IMO. Although, what drew me to it was the clean aesthetic and timeless design - the original 'Bond' watch. It looks absolutely fantastic on a NATO or leather strap.

I took a walk down to my local jewelers to try on gen, just so I had something to mentally compare it to, but all things considered, you really don't need to compare this watch, it simply just gets it right.
  • The bezel is silky smooth, satisfying click action, with just a tiny bit of play.
  • The bezel insert is fantastic, sharp font, nicely coated platinum, and has a beautiful glossy black finish.
  • The dial is perfect, deep black, nice sharp text, well finished and correctly aligned hour markers.
  • The crystal is excellent - sitting as it should.
  • The hands are very good and very gen like.
  • The lume is great, very sensitive to light, and long-lasting. It's hard to comment on this one, as I've held very few reps and even fewer gens, but compared to my other divers watches the lume is acceptable.
  • Movement is keeping excellent time - no issues here.
  • Adjusting the hands is typical for a rep movement, a bit of play from the second hand, a little bit tight, and a not-so-friendly screw down. Doesn't bother me - but thought I would mention it.
  • Finishing is very good - I'll let the photos do the talking.
Any questions, feel free to ask or drop me a DM.
Very nice, indeed. I purchased ($488.) the "Submariner 114060, No Date, Black Ceramic, 904L Steel, ARF 1:1, Best Edition on SS Bracelet, SA3130" from ChazingTime. The oyster bracelet was a 5 out of 10 (clasp was incorrect and center links were brushed and not polished). The Crystal lacked the "etched" logo. It was a beautiful watch though...but I sold it. I want another, but better.

Reactions: gkardag

gkardag

7/8/19
Very nice, indeed. I purchased ($488.) the "Submariner 114060, No Date, Black Ceramic, 904L Steel, ARF 1:1, Best Edition on SS Bracelet, SA3130" from ChazingTime. The oyster bracelet was a 5 out of 10 (clasp was incorrect and center links were brushed and not polished). The Crystal lacked the "etched" logo. It was a beautiful watch though...but I sold it. I want another, but better.
Having the same issue the casp closing is not ok :(
The insert is also stiff don't know yours