• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

RWI Whatsapp Group Chat?

Yankindeez

21/3/19
USA
I know we have the shoutbox, which is fine on desktop but not as mobile friendly (unless you're reloading often), but was wondering what your guys' thoughts are on creating a Whatsapp chat group for RWI. I think it'd be a great idea for member discussions, wrist shots, and even just shooting the shit.

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
7/10/15
Ireland
It would kind of defeat the idea of a forum in my opinion but I am old school. There are plenty of wristshot threads and rolling discussions on specific topics. What we really need is a working live feed. We are working on that.

Reactions: Messi and 1manband

Yankindeez

21/3/19
USA
It would kind of defeat the idea of a forum in my opinion but I am old school. There are plenty of wristshot threads and rolling discussions on specific topics. What we really need is a working live feed. We are working on that.

I see your point, but you'd probably only get 5% of the forum members who actually use it. It's also used for different purposes - it'd moreso replace the shoutbox over the forum itself

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
I know we have the shoutbox, which is fine on desktop but not as mobile friendly (unless you're reloading often), but was wondering what your guys' thoughts are on creating a Whatsapp chat group for RWI. I think it'd be a great idea for member discussions, wrist shots, and even just shooting the shit.

do you understand what would mean a wa group chat with say conservatively 100 guys from different timezones ? It would mean imho just a constant noise 24/7

Yankindeez

21/3/19
USA
do you understand what would mean a wa group chat with say conservatively 100 guys from different timezones ? It would mean imho just a constant noise 24/7

Probably, you mute notifications though so you won't get blown up. Just open it up when you feel like reading/chatting/looking at pics
​​​

Reactions: masterpiece777

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
Probably, you mute notifications though so you won't get blown up. Just open it up when you feel like reading/chatting/looking at pics
​​​

there was one such group I was in.. you can't just jump in and post your wristie or tell everyone you are selling such and such. You just look stupid and opportunistic imho.
You lose the thread of talks etc..it's a mess. A forum is much better for that

Reactions: C Master and DD60

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Creating a What'sApp group will defeat the purpose of this forum, you are, of course, free to create one with friends you've made here, but everything that would happen on a what'sApp group would not be covered by the staff, hence backdoor dealing, scams and all.

I'm not old school but I'm with C Master on that one (well on pretty much everything else too ;) )

The Shoutbox is supposed to refresh on mobile the same way as on desktop, meaning as long as you are on the page, you'll see what's happening.
What you would like to have is some sort of push notification every time a message is posted in the shoutbox right ?

That would require a lot of custom work on the actual shoutbox plugin and would put quite the load on the server

Reactions: C Master and DD60

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
7/10/15
Ireland
sort of push notification every time a message is posted in the shoutbox right ?

We had it at one stage on xenfora and we got so many complaints it was turned it off.

What we need is a live feed. This latest activity crap is a load of *********. I like it when someone posts and you get the thread title and the first sentence posted by each individual. Makes life so much easier as a member and as a moderator.

Reactions: No0b and Nivka

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
What we need is a live feed. This latest activity crap is a load of *********. I like it when someone posts and you get the thread title and the first sentence posted by each individual. Makes life so much easier as a member and as a moderator.

I'll see what I can do for the live feed ;)

Reactions: Nivka and C Master