• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My new watch is not working! What do I do?

ahw676

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/11/08
Owing to the large number of threads we are seeing from new members who are not certain what to do when their watch orders are not what they were hoping for, this thread is being stickied to try to clear up the confusion.

Although it may seem that resolutions are usually reached, regardless of the way it's handled, haphazard handling of problems is, in fact, damaging to the membership as a whole. Most people don't make the kind of comprehensive research they ideally should prior to choosing a dealer. Moreover, for the highly publicized threads, many won't take the time to read all fifteen pages of responses before the real story and conclusion come out. As a result, dealers get unfairly penalized. Worse, the occasional ill-advised chargeback threat causes dealers to change (in most cases to limit) the payment methods they accept.

We realize that most buyers who encounter a problem are not trying to cause problems. They simply want their watch fixed/replaced and returned to them. But they aren't aware of the best way to go about this and are reaching out for advice. Even though it might seem intimidating, please reach out to a staff member, rather than splashing it all over the forum. In many cases, the problem is a misunderstanding, possibly due to language barriers, and can be quickly and quietly resolved.

My watch is broken/DOA/not the right one/etc.! Now what?

Answer: the order of operations should be this:

A) contact the trusted dealer FIRST and make note of whether he prefers to be contacted by email or PM. Let him know what the problem is. Be aware that they are likely to be fielding piles of emails in a language that's not their first. Also be sensitive to the fact that they may live in a different time zone than you, have a different holiday schedule from you, and dealers sleep too (a grouchy, sleep-deprived dealer is not likely to be an understanding one). You may get an answer in a few hours or a few days, so be patient and WAIT. Do not bombard the dealer with emails every few hours if you're not getting a response. And for heaven's sake, be polite and respectful. These dealers are not morally obligated to help you, and there is not an official BBB of rep watch culture (outside of this board), so if you get yourself blacklisted, you have only yourself to blame. Also remember that English is not the first language of most of our dealers, nor for their staff, so don't be surprised or scornful if you get a response that suggests that they did not understand your question. Be patient and try again. Most of us on staff communicate with the dealers in English too, and polite persistence typically does get the message across.

B) if you don't get a response or you feel that the response is not satisfactory, contact a mod or admin to intervene on your behalf. They can at least let you know whether you are being reasonable. Before you say "well, I don't want to bother them for THIS", please note that this is highly preferable to posting it in the open forum, inviting all sorts of responses that the staff will eventually have to moderate because you're either getting flamed or you've incited a riot.

C) do not, under any circumstance, start by doing a chargeback or even threatening one. This will not help your cause, and it will also cause problems for everyone else. Moreover, it restricts the ability of the staff to help you, and if you freeze up the seller's accounts, then everyone is at a standstill. You will not get satisfaction and the rest of the board will flame you off the planet.

D) if there's a possibility that you will need to return your watch, remember to save all of the links you may have removed; without them, there's no likelihood that you can exchange, and you are restricted to only repair. Also, if you choose to wear the watch, remember that any signs of use will also limit your claims.

RWI is here to assist and educate every single member interested in buying rep watches, from your first purchase on. So please buy with confidence and enjoy this hobby. :)

avenger007

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
21/2/09
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Perhaps now we can put away the pitchforks and torches and handle things a bit more civilly.

Eh.....probably not. :nah:

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
I would add something that I mentioned before. Contact them right away. Don't wait a week.

sg1

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
4/11/09
throw it in the bin

niehfangkangch

Looking Around
20/7/12
your gen is a fake before they presume your fake is a gen
g.gif

wenchingyu0612

Looking Around
16/8/12
Thank you! Perhaps now we can put away the pitchforks and torches and handle things a bit more civilly.
g.gif

brokeddog

Horology Curious
15/7/13
I have a problem that has nothing to do with this forum ( I don't think ). It's related to a purchase I made on my own 6 mos. ago. I had never heard of RWI then. Do I use this thread to give me guidance for repair or unknown( to me ) situations.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State

PaCoalCracker

17/10/16
I have a problem that has nothing to do with this forum ( I don't think ). It's related to a purchase I made on my own 6 mos. ago. I had never heard of RWI then. Do I use this thread to give me guidance for repair or unknown( to me ) situations.
I think if you went to the repair threads, yoh may find someone who can fix, rapair it . . . . ..

Sent from the RWI mobile app