• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Mac vs. Linux vs. Windows

DR3M3L

TECHMIN
Advisor
27/10/14
Which desktop operating system is your weapon of choice?

I currently use all three, but I do most of my usage on Windows 8.1 Enterprise or Arch Linux.

staten12

14/5/15
Why are you spamming all day today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

malevolent

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
19/1/15
Why are you spamming all day today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, this is a forum. Generally, in a forum, you post things.
I have nothing better to do, so I am posting.

redPandaWrangler

Renowned Member
6/7/15
Which desktop operating system is your weapon of choice?

I currently use all three, but I do most of my usage on Windows 8.1 Enterprise or Arch Linux.

Cool, I used to love trying new Linux OSes a few times a year. I used to like to play with Arch, Ubuntu, Fedora and a Elementary OS.

Recently I've become a Mac person - I really appreciate its scripting and automation tools. When I have light design work to do, I've got Win 10 running in parallels, and a Win 10 desktop for heavier lifting.

ds1101

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/4/15
UK
I run all 3 os's and i think they all have their strengths. OSX is good for its simple UI, It is intuitive and simple. Windows is a good all rounder and my main os. (not so keen on w8 but it did grow on me through my MCSA).

I run several windows and some Linux servers. Linux seems to be good for low resource needs but you need to be able to bang out commands like there is no tomorrow. Win servers are again just like working on a standard pc (unless you have core installed and you have to work in powershell) i do see the benefit in all 3. But is someone held a bullet to my head and told me to recommend an os to them it would likely be Windows 7! Its been out long enough to be very stable and well supported. And i think there are a good few years of support left in it!

21spike0

21/4/16
Windows has to be a persons workhorse. My personal pc is a mac I7 27" (Get me) which I hate to admit but I love for it's design and seemingly **** it I don't care about malware or viruses attitude. But I rum windows 10 in vmware for day to day work.
Windows just allows you to customise under the hood so much more than Mac. Plus anything you need is primarily built for windows first. Ubuntu is very user friendly really for a Linux version but struggles with drivers.

jcarter

RWIer
12/6/16
OSX hands down. Do lot of web dev, web app and server related works, I can fire up terminal and ssh root right away. I run several vms like kali for pen testing and I use Windows occasionally.

adamski777

1/1/17
If you're security conscious Linux has a smaller attack footprint versus the others.

As part of my Master's thesis I compared Windows 10 to Fedora 24, if you want raw performance for encoding/converting and better battery life (on a laptop) then use Windows.

For headless applications I use Linux around the house (high res audio streaming/playback etc). It just depends on what you need.

1Basileus

18/2/17
I'm not very techie when it comes to computers. I mostly use the PC, once in a while I get to tinker around with a Mac in hotel lobbies.