• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Canada shipping

Blueadrian

Renowned Member
24/7/19
UK
Hi I’ve just sold something to Canada, I need to ship it, obviously I’m not going to put replica watch, ha ha, but what I will do is list it as a repair. My question is about value if I fill in a value does anybody know if I send it to Vancouver whether there will be any tax to pay other end. If so I’ll customs stupid enough to realise if I put zero?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
The purchaser should be supplying this info - it doesn't seem logical to purchase an item without knowing if it's legal in your country, or what the costs of importing it are and then dump all that responsibility on the shipper.

Forget about writing 'gift', 'repair', 'return' etc - Customs are stupid but not that stupid, all they care about is the declared value - and if they open the package it's over, no matter what you write on the outside.

Blueadrian

Renowned Member
24/7/19
UK
The purchaser should be supplying this info - it doesn't seem logical to purchase an item without knowing if it's legal in your country, or what the costs of importing it are and then dump all that responsibility on the shipper.

Forget about writing 'gift', 'repair', 'return' etc - Customs are stupid but not that stupid, all they care about is the declared value - and if they open the package it's over, no matter what you write on the outside.

Ok. Got it. Thanks [mention]tripdog [/mention]

Love Rolex, Omega and Tudor.
Based in UK

shadys

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
8/6/20
I’m living in Canada and wondering the same. I thought putting down “repair” was the solution we all agreed to. If that’s not the case, then it’ll just be up to luck totally. Also I heard Canada is really loose on these items but that’s also what I heard not confirmed info

c_hall100

El Presidente
Gold Patron
Certified
14/2/20
UK
I just put clock for repair on all my customs forms from the U.K. to anywhere, declare a low value like £20 and I have been putting decoy notes in there regarding repairs etc

So far 100% success

c_hall100

El Presidente
Gold Patron
Certified
14/2/20
UK
Just send Royal Mail too mate tracked and signed no fancy delivery companies Max 2 weeks to most places in the world

Blueadrian

Renowned Member
24/7/19
UK
Sent DHL. Paid the extra. We sent something else to our daughter in Vancouver - a cushion, not a watch, my wife put £50 value and now daughter has got to pay 20% duty to get it.

RT8906

Renowned Member
11/4/20
Canada
I'm in Canada and have received many watches from all over. As long as it arrives via Canada Post (ship using EMS, USPS and the like) you'll be fine. Most watches show a $10 value and terms like 'Sport Timer' 'Toy Watch' 'Jewelry Box' gets me the package duty free. I used to use DHL et al but honestly, it's not that much faster, sometimes it's WAY slower. COVID has made things weird!