• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Organised crime

Jez_B

Horology Curious
18/4/21
Recently bought a Rolex OP from a TD. I thought of the high-fidelity replica industry as a fascinating example of ingenuity and entrepreneurship. Tough question: have I contributed to organised crime? A colleague seems to think so. Thanks.

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Recently bought a Rolex OP from a TD. I thought of the high-fidelity replica industry as a fascinating example of ingenuity and entrepreneurship. Tough question: have I contributed to organised crime? A colleague seems to think so. Thanks.

Tough question.

I guess the answer depends on too many things, but it could help if you compared it to other similar ones:

Is downloading copyrighted material, such as movies or pictures from the internet, contributing to organised crime?

elconquistador

Certified
10/6/10
The real criminals.
53bd6a2b4011aaf97e58beec10a8d746.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
7/10/15
Ireland
Every time you put olive oil in your fake luxury watch a puppy dies, or is it the other way around? Puppies don't fit in watches so it must be every time you put your puppy in olive oil a fake watch dies. Oh wait................................

It is bad any way so don't do it.

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Every time you put olive oil in your fake luxury watch a puppy dies, or is it the other way around? Puppies don't fit in watches so it must be every time you put your puppy in olive oil a fake watch dies. Oh wait................................

It is bad any way so don't do it.

What happens if you put a fake watch in a puppy? Does olive oil die?

No clue, but i'm pretty sure that the puppy wouldn't be that happy

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
7/10/15
Ireland
What happens if you put a fake watch in a puppy? Does olive oil die?

I think you have to put the olive oil in with the fake watch or the puppy won't be able to pass it. So technically I suppose the olive oi;l does die.

KushBandit

I'm Pretty Popular
13/8/18
Whisky-A-Go-Go

These illegal counterfeit watches are produced with a higher morality than a legal pair of Nike sneakers. Most kids couldn't build a nice watch.

Copyright infringement < Child labor

Ever purchased jewelry with natural diamonds? Those could be "blood diamonds" and you wouldn't know.

Ever paid taxes to a country that has killed innocent civilians due to collateral damage during a military operation?

Ever taken prescribed opiate pain killers derived from poppy plants grown in terrorist-controlled locations?

Ever eaten chocolate that used cacao harvested with slave labor?

Even if these watches contributed to organized crime, it's no worse than anything we all deal with on a daily basis. Ignorance is bliss though.

Ams55557

Renowned Member
16/3/18
I think there was an episode of The Good Life that covered this topic. Philosophically speaking, every modern decision we make has more and more negative unintended consequences. Since everything we do is interlinked, it is very easy to focus on “bad” things and not the indifferent or good.

do what you feel is within your own morals, seeking validation one way or the other from the internet is no way to be happy.

philiusmaximus

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
8/2/14
UK
Mate there's a bunch of Albanians washing cars down the end of my street. I can guarantee you the customers of this and the multitude of similar car washes over here are contributing far more to real organised crime each time they pay a fiver to have their car cleaned.

P..DR..D

- Pátrún Bródúil -
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
If it bugs you, you could maybe balance it out by making a donation to your church or a reputable charity each time you treat yourself to a watch.

This.

Or throw a few quid to RWI :thumbsup:

I jest of course, but as Ams55557 said, all our decisions have consequences, sometimes good, sometimes bad and sometimes completely unintended - what'll be will be as the song goes :eek:hwell:

You can only do what makes you feel right.

Ps I miss that show btw, that and The Sopranos.

Reactions: Jez_B