• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Can Anyone Pull Back the Curtain? Where do the new, gen parts come from?

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
From what I've heard authorized service centers need to go through some serious rigor to order replacement parts from Rolex. I assume it's similar with Richemont, AP, and Patek. So - it begs the question, where are the gen parts coming from???
- Falling off the back of the truck? EG. Stolen?
- Parting out watches (hard to believe that would be financially sensible with the resale prices)?
- Parting out stolen watches?
- Secret, high-quality European fakes no one knows about so they're sold as gen?
- Rolex (et al) are secretly selling parts to the black market?
- Unicorn fairies?
Seriously, does anyone actually know?

drummerkid1990

9/7/11
My bet would be similar to the AD in Chicago that just got caught moving watches straight from Rolex to the grey market. Do the same thing with parts.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: hanski

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
You know how many many many many ADs are known for selling desirable SS models to grey dealers for a kick back. (in fact there was just charges filed in Chicago for this). Well, many do the same with parts.

And it's allotted. Usually Rolex sends X per month. Actually, one guy I purchased some parts from was telling me, for instance, (with a set of hands for a 116610 because that is what I was buying at the time) that he got 30 sets every 21 days (with some exceptions). I am not sure if this is from a Rolex factory source or an AD source or a Rolex parts source. I don't know specifically how it goes.

I think this is how most new parts come about. And then yes, there is also the ability to buy extra parts that users/consumers get and I think this is how we see a lot of used parts.

While Rolex does try to lock them down, the parts are sent to dealers who can sell them or work on them and some get diverted for a bit of a premium.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: P..DR..D and hanski

P..DR..D

KING OF LINKS
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
You know how many many many many ADs are known for selling desirable SS models to grey dealers for a kick back. (in fact there was just charges filed in Chicago for this). Well, many do the same with parts.

And it's allotted. Usually Rolex sends X per month. Actually, one guy I purchased some parts from was telling me, for instance, (with a set of hands for a 116610 because that is what I was buying at the time) that he got 30 sets every 21 days (with some exceptions). I am not sure if this is from a Rolex factory source or an AD source or a Rolex parts source. I don't know specifically how it goes.

I think this is how most new parts come about. And then yes, there is also the ability to buy extra parts that users/consumers get and I think this is how we see a lot of used parts.

While Rolex does try to lock them down, the parts are sent to dealers who can sell them or work on them and some get diverted for a bit of a premium.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Very interesting, didnt know that at all, thank you.