• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

I see a lot of negative feedback about the Miyota 9015 movement. Is it really that noisy?

elconquistador

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
10/6/10
It only winds in one direction so the rotor spins very easily in the other direction.

In some applications it is mildly noisy in other it is intolerably noisy.

They keep great time but the sound makes them feel cheap and gives away that it in a replica, unless it is one of those horrible seven Friday watches that have a 9015 in the gen.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Love
Reactions: McDuck888

WatchThisWatch

Looking Around
10/2/21
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. But I also read people claiming that using a lubricant would mute the noise. Anyone with that experience can chime in?

Yes the Miyota movement can be a bit noisy but should it put you off the watch? I don't think it should, I have a few non rep watches with this movement and It's no big deal for me. As long as I'm not wearing the watch while I'm knocking one out, the neighbours are hardly going to bang on the wall.....:devil:

stockwatch

18/10/15
It’s very noisy. Got 2 pp both had same problem. If noise is going to bother you don’t get the pp at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Solid movement. Very reliable. Just need a drop of oil and it’ll be silent. You can even lube it yourself. Plenty of tutorials on the net

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
It's noisy but it's an ez fix, positive side of this movement = a real rock.

P..DR..D

- Pátrún Bródúil -
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
Was mildly concerned about this too, but have read its a relatively very easy fix (he says before he tries it of course) & as others have said, hopefully a very solid movement.

flyinhawaiian

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/12/20
USA
The 9015 is not the quietest thing compared to some higher end movements but in my opinion the whole rotor noise thing is a bit overblown. In normal use I don't notice it unless I shake it close to my ear in a quiet room.

I've yet to own a rep with a 9015 in it but I'm personally a big fan of my gens that use the movement. It's durable and reliable as hell and keeps better time than some of my swiss-made pieces that cost 5x as much.

jmatbastos

Horology Curious
16/10/17
Most of the bad reviews are about the A5612... it is a miyota 9015 replica movement but with a decorated rotor and a different and larger main plate used in Tudor BB and Pelagos replicas ...

Lev

2/3/17
I have a 2017 JF AP15400 and it has the Miyota 9015 in it, as does an IWC Portofino. It is noisy but I don't find it to be unbearable. Unless you are shaking around your arm or your ears are right next to it, you wont really notice it in my opinion. I wouldnt worry about it.

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
Palm Beach
Has never been an issue for me. I don't care that much either. Any movement without proper lubrication will have a horrible rotor noise. Best example is the ETA 7750.

Reactions: TESLA760

optical

Renowned Member
31/1/10
9015 is the best movement in reps unless your gonna go a swiss, I have many watches with this movement and even choose models because they have it. The Chinese movements are crap, or alteast come poorly lubricated so you wil need a service sooner rather than later. Every chinese movement I have had needed one within a couple of years, my miyota's have been solid.

The noise is not that bad an issue and people exaggerate, my 7750's are way louder and I don't hear anyone complaining about them. I would never pick an asian 2824 over a miyota 9015, but that's my personal preference, I value reliability above accuracy, but some people have to have that date change snap over at midnight or they might get called out

Temple

Watches, Weights & Protein shakes
Supporter
Certified
12/2/18
UK
The noise is not that bad an issue and people exaggerate, my 7750's are way louder and I don't hear anyone complaining about them. I would never pick an asian 2824 over a miyota 9015, but that's my personal preference, I value reliability above accuracy, but some people have to have that date change snap over at midnight or they might get called out
Answer to that is, get home before 11:30pm 💭

takamakatai

7/5/23
US
The one in my pelagos was very loud and when it wound up broken I could not find anyone to fix