• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Anyone feel underwhelmed when finally get that Rolex gen?

Noobylover

Known Member
28/2/21
I can't say that I felt underwhelmed when I finally got my Rolex Datejust Watch 16200, but I was not so happy as I expected to be. I paid for it with my credit card and had to give this money back in a month. But it so happened that the quarantine began and I had to stay home. My wife lost her job. So, we had to run into additional debt. I started experiencing stress because of this situation. Fortunately, my friend suggested me working together. Also, CBD oil that helped me calm down and sleep better. In short, I wanted that watch much, but every time I look at it, it reminds me how unwisely I spend money on it.

It will only go up in value. Hold it for 3 years and sell it on chrono24 or ebay. Also check out watchbuyer.com You will make a profit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Horace Derwent

Known Member
17/6/10
I actually believe/agree that Omega gens are a much better value for your money than Rolex. Held quite a number of gen Rollies in my hands over the years and never even thought about getting one. No AR, no glass backs with nice (anti-magnetic) movements, everything else only par with Omega. My 2 Cents, hardcore Rolex fans will probably kill me in a second...

Quote every single word.

An Omega Constellation is light years above any Rolex , just to name a specific model.

JJMan

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/3/21
Technology has made replica's easier and better. This drives the prices down for the Genuine product.

CaptainObvious

Horology Curious
28/3/21
I don't have any gens but I was planning to go the gen way. The only reason I chose not to was when I was about to pull the trigger on a Tudor Black Bay 58 I was trying on several of them and while they were an AD for Tudor they where also an AD for Rolex so I tried on many of the Rolex and Tudor models and I was shocked of how cheap they felt. I Have a Parnis datejust and a Parnis GMT that I bought to have as a "Try run" to see if I wanted these models in Rolex. I liked the Parnis watches but thought they would never reach the Rolex quality. When I tried the Rolex Datejust and the GMT I was so underwhelmed. They didn't feel anything special. They didn't feel much better than my Parnis watches. I couldn't justify spending the money on something that didn't feel premium. Especially when I paid around $100 for almost equivalent watches. The only difference was that it didn't say "Rolex" on the dial. So now I'll try the reps just for the fun of it.

Reactions: CanadianJungle

Ams55557

Renowned Member
16/3/18
Not a brag, I swear... I went on a gen buying spree...Tudor and Cartier in one sitting. Wasn’t planning on it...just said f’it. I view it as a transfer from my savings to my watch box minus anywhere from $1000-$1500 or maaaybe plus $200 over the next few years.

Honestly, it’s a bit underwhelming as a difference. They are very nice watches and I don’t regret it at all. But...I have 20-30 top quality reps and a few gens. This incremental purchase gets me nothing.

MarkMarky

Renowned Member
30/6/13
USA
I don't have any gens but I was planning to go the gen way. The only reason I chose not to was when I was about to pull the trigger on a Tudor Black Bay 58 I was trying on several of them and while they were an AD for Tudor they where also an AD for Rolex so I tried on many of the Rolex and Tudor models and I was shocked of how cheap they felt. I Have a Parnis datejust and a Parnis GMT that I bought to have as a "Try run" to see if I wanted these models in Rolex. I liked the Parnis watches but thought they would never reach the Rolex quality. When I tried the Rolex Datejust and the GMT I was so underwhelmed. They didn't feel anything special. They didn't feel much better than my Parnis watches. I couldn't justify spending the money on something that didn't feel premium. Especially when I paid around $100 for almost equivalent watches. The only difference was that it didn't say "Rolex" on the dial. So now I'll try the reps just for the fun of it.
Wow, this is extreme. If you didn't find difference between Parnis watches and Rolex watches, I would think blame is in your judgmental not Rolex watches. I'm sure 99% will never say that IMO. High quality reps- yes but Parnis - no way man.

In hindsight, you really don't need any Rolex gen and you save lot of money in that sense!

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Horology Curious
28/3/21
Wow, this is extreme. If you didn't find difference between Parnis watches and Rolex watches, I would think blame is in your judgmental not Rolex watches. I'm sure 99% will never say that IMO. High quality reps- yes but Parnis - no way man.

In hindsight, you really don't need any Rolex gen and you save lot of money in that sense!

I don't know if you've handled a Parnis datejust but the quality is pretty amazing. It's way better than expected and while it may not be 100% as Rolex quality it up around 95%-98%. Then if you look at the price, the Rolex costs literally 100 times more. When I saw that I was put off on spending so much money for something that didn't deliver. The Rolex just didn't reach the quality everybody was talking about. Now who is twisting reality here? Me or Rolex owners? I would say it's the Rolex owners. When you say that I'm being judgemental you might be right. I kind of look at it with open eyes unlike someone that actually has paid for the watch. If I paid for a watch that costs $10 000 and then see a $100 watch with very similar quality I too would deny it and claim that a cheap chinese watch couldn't reach that level of quality. But remember. Parnis watches are probably made in better factories that our reps so it's no surprise that they can reach that level of quality when the reps have a very good quality.

Reactions: CanadianJungle

HomeRye

Animal magnetism
Certified
7/4/20
Scotland
I don't know if you've handled a Parnis datejust but the quality is pretty amazing. It's way better than expected and while it may not be 100% as Rolex quality it up around 95%-98%. Then if you look at the price, the Rolex costs literally 100 times more. When I saw that I was put off on spending so much money for something that didn't deliver. The Rolex just didn't reach the quality everybody was talking about. Now who is twisting reality here? Me or Rolex owners? I would say it's the Rolex owners. When you say that I'm being judgemental you might be right. I kind of look at it with open eyes unlike someone that actually has paid for the watch. If I paid for a watch that costs $10 000 and then see a $100 watch with very similar quality I too would deny it and claim that a cheap chinese watch couldn't reach that level of quality. But remember. Parnis watches are probably made in better factories that our reps so it's no surprise that they can reach that level of quality when the reps have a very good quality.

But you are assessing it through your eyes on what is acceptable or comparable quality. I've handled Parnis sub homages before plus other sub £150 watches along the same lines and they are not 95%-98% the same quality in my assessment as a Rolex (or comparable brand) - but they are probably 70% of the quality - which for the price/value angle compared to a Rolex is excellent.

It's also a bit like good wines, the more attuned and experienced you get, then your palette gets more refined and discerning. Most people won't notice the difference and are happy with a £5 bottle from Tesco that looks the same. As long as everyone is happy then what's not to like :)

CaptainObvious

Horology Curious
28/3/21
But you are assessing it through your eyes on what is acceptable or comparable quality. I've handled Parnis sub homages before plus other sub £150 watches along the same lines and they are not 95%-98% the same quality in my assessment as a Rolex (or comparable brand) - but they are probably 70% of the quality - which for the price/value angle compared to a Rolex is excellent.

It's also a bit like good wines, the more attuned and experienced you get, then your palette gets more refined and discerning. Most people won't notice the difference and are happy with a £5 bottle from Tesco that looks the same. As long as everyone is happy then what's not to like :)

No I agree with you about the sub Parnis! I have a GMT Parnis and it's not the same quality. It's maybe 70%. But the Parnis Datejust is another level, this one is really well made and that's the one I was comparing to when I was at the AD.

You're completely right! What I also noticed is how my price acceptance have increased. Before I used to think $300 was an expensive watch. After a while a $3 000 watch was a bargain and now I'm looking at $10 000 watches and think it's an acceptable price. In reality all of them should have pretty much the same value if they are made out of SS. The movements don't impress me either. If I want an accurate watch I go with a quartz.

HomeRye

Animal magnetism
Certified
7/4/20
Scotland
Not sure about them costing the same because they are made out of SS - the quality of the finishing and the acceptable tolerances varies hugely, regardless of the shared material.

One of the watches I currently enjoy wearing the most is a £200 quartz Scurfa diver one (blue). Love how that looks and feels on my wrist, built like a tank and I like the fact it didn't cost much. I've got a vintage gen Rolex datejust that I love but I can equally see myself being content long term with decent quality reps with some fun, lower priced, micro brand gens thrown into the mix.

papabear244

Renowned Member
17/11/20
Underwhelmed isn’t what I feel. Anxiety is the word I’m looking for. People usually have anxieties when wearing a rep due to the fear of being call out but my anxieties come from fear of wear and tear from wearing my Gen. Everytime my Gen bangs into something, the pain... oh the pain. I love my Gen but I can never feel as carefree and comfortable as I do with my Reps. I love the wear and tear on my reps but I’ll never feel that way with a Gen.

So no I don’t feel underwhelmed by my Gen, it makes me appreciate the engineering in finer details of the watch due to the knowledge I’ve gained through reps and all the flaws that comes with it.

I think owning both the gen and the rep covers the two anxieties. You get the feeling of being a proud owner of the gen, but you wear the rep without the fear of damaging it. For what you paid for the gen, the rep should come for free! (Only in a multiverse would that happen)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swink6112

Known Member
15/7/20
Depends on the rep factories and versions I guess. If you compare the older noob subs with gen then you'd be a moron to not know the difference. Fast forward to today's VSF era and buying gen now seems like an idiotic idea. So I say buy gen as an investment. And buy reps to wear and enjoy. Win win in my book.