• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Anyone feel underwhelmed when finally get that Rolex gen?

eleventibillion

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
21/9/20
NorCal
+Subscribed to this one, definitely would love to hear more about your journey here with replica's. Please keep us updated :)

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
AP 15400OR rose gold black dial on black strap, the one made by J5 v5 is definitely NWBIG

AP 15500 gray or black dial made by ZF is definitely NWBIG. avoid blue dial it’s not gen like.

AP 25th anniversary royal oak offshore beast blue dial made by JF is definitely NWBIG

AP carbon offshore all black made by JF is NWBIG

There are others.

The RG looks good for a short time and then it unfortunately starts to fade. They plating is way too thin. I guess it depends how frequently it's worn and how your skin moisture is, but I've seen a lot of those second hand reps in the market place that look straight up terrible.

Don't you collect gen Rolex's as well? These should be doing well in today's market. I guess with your history you should also have a pretty good purchasing history to get most, if not all, of the hotter models relatively quickly?

dc2_bb6_cu2

Renowned Member
18/6/17
I’ve owned 8 modern Rolex SS models. Still own 6. Own about a dozen reps, various makers/versions. The reps I’ve owned (ARF/VSF/Noob/ZF) have gotten me mostly content for everyday wear. The gens come out for special occasions and the office.

However, there is no comparison to gen PM watches. I’m keeping a few of the SS gens due to sentimental value, and the rest am in the process of selling for a profit, to fund PM purchases. No rep can match the presence of a PM gen, including oyster flex models.

So it depends on what rep you’re talking about, but as far as Rolex goes, yes - your typical sub date/no date will be an underwhelming experience given VSF/ZZF quality these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: stufuse

Diplomatico

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/8/16
EU
There’s nothing like wearing that franken that you sourced parts for during a long stretch of time. Gen Rolex is meh in comparison.

McPwn

21/9/20
I think all the AD waitlist BS and shortage of gens is definitely helping drive people to reps... unfortunately for the brand(s) most of those are probably the true watch fans/hobbyists who like the designs/history and get tired of all the crap. And some of those probably completely satisfied with the rep and just pocket the $$ that would have been spent on the gen.

Theres definitely still a gap between rep and gen, for example, a clone 3135/3235 won't be as good as a gen movement for sure.. And the use of PM like white gold on the dial and hands are definitely different from SS on reps.

Last edited:
Reactions: rj999

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
How do you feel when you realize that your rep is just good as your gen? lol

jb3md

Renowned Member
11/8/19
There’s nothing like wearing that franken that you sourced parts for during a long stretch of time. Gen Rolex is meh in comparison.

Totally agree - something about the hunt / collection process.

I have a gen 114060 and a Franken 116610 (gen dial/dw/hands/insert) - something about the Franken that just has more appeal. Still like having the gen for posterity purposes and for visiting the AD, but for the day to day I wear the Franken much more frequently.

Have to say however that I spent better than a year trying to put together a nice Batman rep but couldn’t get past the insert issue - finally sourced a 126710blnr and it does have that gen charm for me, maybe because I couldn’t quite get the rep right

Sent from the RWI App

Fontaine

Known Member
Gold Patron
13/10/18

I disagree. I enjoy my 126655 in a way that I simply simply can't with any of my Rolex reps; the weight and feeling on the wrist, for a start, cannot be matched - I would never even consider a gold plated/wrapped rep as no matter how good it looked, it just won't feel the same when worn (unless some-one has made a YM case in 18k gold!).

Last edited:

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
I disagree. I enjoy my 126655 in a way that I simply simply can't with any of my Rolex reps; the weight and feeling on the wrist, for a start, cannot be matched - I would never even consider a gold plated/wrapped rep as no matter how good it looked, it just won't feel the same when worn (unless some-one has made a YM case in 18k gold!).

mmh i guess the feeling is subjective, since i can't stand the fact that my 116519 is totally unbalanced because of the weight of the gold, while my 116519 rep is perfectly balanced since it's SS.

Last edited:

Fontaine

Known Member
Gold Patron
13/10/18
mmh i guess it's subjective, since i can't stand the fact that my 116519 is totally unbalanced because of the weight of the gold, while my 116519 rep is perfectly balanced since it's SS.

You've just proved my point with your statement - objectively, NOT subjectively, gold (whether white, rose or yellow) feels different to steel. Ultimately I am not underwhelmed by owning a gen as I know reps of that particular watch don't feel the same. Whether or not one likes how gold feels is indeed subjective but that wasn't what I was talking about.

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Whether or not one likes how gold feels is indeed subjective but that wasn't what I was talking about.

Yeah, but that's what I was talking about though lol

The fact that the metals are different is objective while the feeling of it is subjective. I was specifically talking about how the objective difference in metals makes the gold watch more unbalanced on a leather / rubber strap and i subjectively feel uncomfortable wearing it.

That's subjective. And that's how i feel lol. My 116519 rep is much more comfortable because the head of the watch is not that top heavy like my WG one.

ZlRtOJ.jpg

ZlRrzo.jpg

Last edited:

Fontaine

Known Member
Gold Patron
13/10/18
Yeah, but that's what I was talking about though lol

The fact that the metals are different is objective while the feeling of it is subjective. I was specifically talking about how the objective difference in metals makes the gold watch more unbalanced on a leather / rubber strap and i subjectively feel uncomfortable wearing it.

That's subjective. And that's how i feel lol. My 116519 rep is much more comfortable because the head of the watch is not that top heavy like my WG one.

You quoted me in my original post regarding weight and objective facts do not care about subjective feelings. You can make it about feelings if you like but digressing from my point doesn't answer it. All you're doing is diverting.

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
You quoted me in my original post regarding weight and objective facts do not care about subjective feelings. You can make it about feelings if you like but digressing from my point doesn't answer it. All you're doing is diverting.

As you wish my friend :)

dc2_bb6_cu2

Renowned Member
18/6/17
Finally got a new Rolex gen piece after years of wearing higher quality rep pieces. I've a collection of big brand Swiss gen pieces so I know generally the quality vs reps. But the interesting thing is with the Rolex, the quality of the gen isn't that much better than a high end rep...

Yep. As good as reps are these days, gen steel subs (and some other models) are NWBIG. Gen steel Rolex are underwhelming indeed, in a world of VSF, ZF, and ZZF reps.

I’m slowly selling off my SS Rolex gens to fund PM purchased. That’s where reps can’t come close. 126618LB is my next, can’t wait ????

t3steve

Known Member
19/5/19
California, United States
If you really want a good laugh take a look at the Rolexforums.com, you have never seen so many allegedly well off people begging for the chance to be bent over by a AD.
" I put my name on the list when will they call me?", " How many watches and jewelry do I have to buy that I don't want before they let me buy the watch that I do want?"

Popklister

2/10/11
I want to add that I helped a friend source a op 114300 arf and he was really happy with it.

The only thing he did not like was that one lug were not resessed correct. Nothing major but not a perfect selfit.

Now he bought a used gen 116000 and it has rehault that's not aligned it is a little bit to the left at 12. The bracelet is not perfect recessed, one side is to high.

So gen might hold value but the amount of time we put on qc and small details thinking the gens are 100% perfect is overdoing it.

Don't forget the gen double 9 airkings. Worse qc then zzf

e6d7df0e8f966506f231af9fe6158d8a.jpg

Reactions: stufuse and rabl253

Noobylover

Known Member
28/2/21
Finally got a new Rolex gen piece after years of wearing higher quality rep pieces. I've a collection of big brand Swiss gen pieces so I know generally the quality vs reps. But the interesting thing is with the Rolex, the quality of the gen isn't that much better than a high end rep...

For example I can see and feel a huge difference in quality between my gen METAS Omega PO and a noob LV. But between the gen Rolex and the noob LV, not actually that much difference in feel. It's a little underwhelming. But I was prepared for it, I waited to on a Rolex gen because as a lot of us watch nerds, we see right through the marketing.

Anyone else felt this way or maybe felt opposite of this?

Interesting question! I purchased my first genuine Rolex 116610 October 2018 from bobs watches for 8500. I have wanted a submariner since I was a teenager. When I got the watch I was super pumped!!!! But Within a month I was underwhelmed. I actually wondered at one point if the preowned watch I received was 100% real or a Franken. So I decided to order a high-end replica. I ordered the Noob V7 James Cameron DSSD. Let me tell you, everything about that watch compared to the genuine screamed fake. The feel of the bracelet compared to the genuine was not even comparable. At that point I was ecstatic about my gen purchase and loved every moment of that watch on my arm until the day I sold it last month. My genuine had a special place in my heart, I felt like I would pass that thing down to my great grand children. The most overwhelming part of owning a genuine is knowing that the beast will live for 100 years or more.

Sent from the RWI App

Reactions: HomeRye and Essray

BlackIceBob

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/1/14
Interesting question! I purchased my first genuine Rolex 116610 October 2018 from bobs watches for 8500. I have wanted a submariner since I was a teenager. When I got the watch I was super pumped!!!! But Within a month I was underwhelmed. I actually wondered at one point if the preowned watch I received was 100% real or a Franken. So I decided to order a high-end replica. I ordered the Noob V7 James Cameron DSSD. Let me tell you, everything about that watch compared to the genuine screamed fake. The feel of the bracelet compared to the genuine was not even comparable. At that point I was ecstatic about my gen purchase and loved every moment of that watch on my arm until the day I sold it last month. My genuine had a special place in my heart, I felt like I would pass that thing down to my great grand children. The most overwhelming part of owning a genuine is knowing that the beast will live for 100 years or more.

Sent from the RWI App

Why did you sell it?

Noobylover

Known Member
28/2/21
Why did you sell it?

Didn't realize you asked WHY, not where... sorry. I bought it in my late thirtys when I was working as a national director of government affairs in DC for a pharma company (I'm an attorney). I quit and started my own law practice (pay cut) and when the pandemic hit I saw the prices of subs really jump (I paid about 8 and the same models are going for about 11.5-12k). Then last year I rented a little beach house in southern mexico for a couple months and had my backpack and iphone forcefully taken from me in broad daylight, but they didn't bother asking for my watch. After that I quit traveling with it and no longer wore it on motorcycle rides because if something were to happen (and I lived through it) my watch would likely be ruined as well. Gave me enough justification to sell it but now I'm looking for a suitable replacement (the vsf 116610 replacement project is already hitting the $1000 marker so I'll still be ticked if it were to get stolen or ruined).

Watchpayer.com
I sent them some detailed pics, they sent me an offer, I accepted, the sent me prepaid/insured label, I was paid within 48 hours.

Last edited: