• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Anyone feel underwhelmed when finally get that Rolex gen?

ABC123

22/8/07
USA
Finally got a new Rolex gen piece after years of wearing higher quality rep pieces. I've a collection of big brand Swiss gen pieces so I know generally the quality vs reps. But the interesting thing is with the Rolex, the quality of the gen isn't that much better than a high end rep...

For example I can see and feel a huge difference in quality between my gen METAS Omega PO and a noob LV. But between the gen Rolex and the noob LV, not actually that much difference in feel. It's a little underwhelming. But I was prepared for it, I waited to on a Rolex gen because as a lot of us watch nerds, we see right through the marketing.

Anyone else felt this way or maybe felt opposite of this?

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
I actually believe/agree that Omega gens are a much better value for your money than Rolex. Held quite a number of gen Rollies in my hands over the years and never even thought about getting one. No AR, no glass backs with nice (anti-magnetic) movements, everything else only par with Omega. My 2 Cents, hardcore Rolex fans will probably kill me in a second...

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
No. Having worked on my share of genuine and replica movements, the Asian clones don't hold a candle to Swiss made. They might be able to mimic the aesthetics but the quality of materials and precision of parts isn't there.
This is very true for Rolex and my mind can feel the conceptual weight of a genuine movement.
It's also true for ETA based movements made/modified by brands like Omega and Breitling. Compared with Asian clones and even genuine Swiss made they has a, what the French call, je ne sais quoi. You can practically throw the parts at one another with them smoothly and securely falling in to place. And don't get me started on the screws. I just love screwing!
But back to your question, do I feel underwhelmed by genuine Rolexes? No.

Reactions: alonso

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
PS. I am underwhelmed by genuine Rolex DateJust and Oyster Perpetual case backs. They all feel so chincy.

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
It is underwhelming indeed from a quality perspective. If you don't mind wearing a rep and don't really care about the whole 'fake/counterfeit' buying/wearing thing. then there's no need to go gen, ever. The quality has become that good.

If you do wish to have a genuine timepiece on your wrist, to commemorate a certain moment in your life or just because - then there's no substitute.

Before I started in the "watch" game a few years ago I thought a rep could never substitute a gen feeling. That changed after I bought my first rep.

As I then started buying gens, I slowly stopped wearing my reps because I didn't get that same satisfaction out of them - knowing they were "just fakes". There are plenty of gens to be had at some very 'affordable' prices.

Today I'm still very interested in reps, I want to buy a few just to get impressed by the quality and test-run certain models to see if I would get the gen. I however wouldn't wear them outside of the house. They give me zero emotion, if anything a negative one.

Popklister

2/10/11
I'm owning both reps and gens most my gens are iwc, grand Seiko and smaller brands as nomos. I only own 4-5 digits gen rolex and all have been second hand pieces. They feel the same as a franken dj or sub.

I think gathering gen parts for a franken sometimes give you a stronger bond with a piece then a gen. It feels like I'm cheating the system. I get 95% of the feeling and look for 15% of the price.

But i'm thinking about buying a gen 216570 at retail (only rolex steel watch my ad can offer.) trying it on feels amazing but I'm not sure I'm willing to spend 9k on a steel rolex.

If rolex drop a non maxi case explorer will the value drop significant? No one knows. I'm 50/50. I could franken a explorer with gen dial, hands, crystal, bezel for what 1,5-2k.

No one I know will ever know the difference between a super franken and gen. So is a gen case + movement worth 7k USD? That 7k could do a lot more work at the stock market.

The only thing I fear is that if I pass away how will my family be able to sell my frankens on here or find a watch smith to service them. I have for real though about making a guide. ”For this Franken Datejust contact Domi at email xxxx and write: Service of franken dj with sh3135.” :p

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
Guess it depends how lucky you are with your rep.

I’m regards to quality reps are great and this last couple years the aesthetics they really come close but You still see posts here about things falling off stopping working etc etc.

The Rolex diver reps I’ve had are nice but there’s no substitute for the genuine ones they are more refined in every way. Nothing sticks, grinds, is loose poorly installed.

The Gens I’ve handled always have that something more, but like you say is it worth 6k more for that extra refinement.

From a watchmakers point of view I could see that there no comparison and I guess that’s why many purists think reps are pieces of shit in that regard/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McDuck888

🌞
22/2/17
UK
The only thing I fear is that if I pass away how will my family be able to sell my frankens on here or find a watch smith to service them. I have for real though about making a guide. ”For this Franken Datejust contact Domi at email xxxx and write: Service of franken dj with sh3135.” :p
To be honest, i thought about buying a folder last week for me write down details of what is genuine within each watch and what the aftermarket parts are for the same reason - Lol! I’ve so few watches but somehow that was important in my mind too :eek:P

ABC123

22/8/07
USA
Yeah totally agree, there is no discussion/comparison if talking about internals or materials used.

Reactions: Kcar34

Ealocin

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/8/12
I have a “ basic” Gen DateJust with oyster band. When comparing to a high level Rep presidential I do feel like the Gen isn’t as “special” as The Pres. (at least visually)

W47chl0v3r

PM for 5402 inquiries
Supporter
Certified
29/8/19
I'm owning both reps and gens most my gens are iwc, grand Seiko and smaller brands as nomos. I only own 4-5 digits gen rolex and all have been second hand pieces. They feel the same as a franken dj or sub.

I think gathering gen parts for a franken sometimes give you a stronger bond with a piece then a gen. It feels like I'm cheating the system. I get 95% of the feeling and look for 15% of the price.

But i'm thinking about buying a gen 216570 at retail (only rolex steel watch my ad can offer.) trying it on feels amazing but I'm not sure I'm willing to spend 9k on a steel rolex.

If rolex drop a non maxi case explorer will the value drop significant? No one knows. I'm 50/50. I could franken a explorer with gen dial, hands, crystal, bezel for what 1,5-2k.

No one I know will ever know the difference between a super franken and gen. So is a gen case + movement worth 7k USD? That 7k could do a lot more work at the stock market.

Write a will with who you give the frankens to.

Reactions: Stuessi

nanners13

23/9/20
Coming from owning a rep of the one Rolex I would buy gen (money permitting) I feel like it'd be worth it just for the piece of mind in the movement itself. Sure the a2836 has been ticking away faithfully but knowing a movement with more attention and thought put into it would in my mind make up the overpriced purchase price.

c_hall100

El Presidente
Gold Patron
Certified
14/2/20
UK
Finally got a new Rolex gen piece after years of wearing higher quality rep pieces. I've a collection of big brand Swiss gen pieces so I know generally the quality vs reps. But the interesting thing is with the Rolex, the quality of the gen isn't that much better than a high end rep...

For example I can see and feel a huge difference in quality between my gen METAS Omega PO and a noob LV. But between the gen Rolex and the noob LV, not actually that much difference in feel. It's a little underwhelming. But I was prepared for it, I waited to on a Rolex gen because as a lot of us watch nerds, we see right through the marketing.

Yep completely agree after 20 odd years of spending daft money on the “real deal” I gave up, not because I couldn’t afford it but because I found high end reps..... I still have gens but they aren’t that much better in terms of feel. The only difference is “you” have far more trust and faith in the real ones

Sent from my iPhone 11 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Akilles

Dreich9999

6/7/12

Yes
Its not worth forking out £1000’s when a few hundred gets you a superb sub with super reliable movement!

I learned the hard way!!

Keep your cash and but reps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OmegaRules

Renowned Member
25/6/15
56ca123ea7514ff00a4f747fbcdbf742.jpg

I tend to agree with others. I enjoy finally owning a gen submariner no date and it makes you feel good to own and wear a gen but honestly, I wear my 116610 BK sub a lot more and have actually kept my BK on for over 3 months straight now with a silicone bracelet I put on it. I shower with it, hot tub with it and no issues. I don’t have to worry about it although it’s near,y as precious to me as my gen. Has a Swiss ETA and with BK’s additional touch making it a great sub to wear.
My gen is now in its box with cert and gaining value like a savings account with the prices on these going up lately but I will still get it out and wear it for some wrist time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
56ca123ea7514ff00a4f747fbcdbf742.jpg

I tend to agree with others. I enjoy finally owning a gen submariner no date and it makes you feel good to own and wear a gen but honestly, I wear my 116610 BK sub a lot more and have actually kept my BK on for over 3 months straight now with a silicone bracelet I put on it. I shower with it, hot tub with it and no issues. I don’t have to worry about it although it’s near,y as precious to me as my gen. Has a Swiss ETA and with BK’s additional touch making it a great sub to wear.
My gen is now in its box with cert and gaining value like a savings account with the prices on these going up lately but I will still get it out and wear it for some wrist time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That’s my favourite 5 digit sub. if I could spend the money now I’d buy one too.

2 liner no date. Lovely!

OmegaRules

Renowned Member
25/6/15
That’s my favourite 5 digit sub. if I could spend the money now I’d buy one too.

2 liner no date. Lovely!

Thank you. I’m glad to own one of these 14060 no dates. This one is a 1999 model

Reactions: stufuse

PorscheRacer

2/4/18
Bicester - UK
I have a Gen ceramic GMT and Gen ceramic Sub, both black bezel, and other Gen stuff such as Breitling SuperOcean etc.

Since buying them a few years ago, I’ve also bought and sold quite a few higher end reps, as well as some £100 ‘AAA’ reps.

I now have a Noob V10 rep of my GMT and a ZZF V3 rep of my Sub. Both black bezel, same as the Gens.

I pretty much only wear my reps or my SuperOcean now.

The reps feel the same, keep perfect time, and even look the same, even when compared really closely side by side with the Gens, you really can’t tell. Sure, some of you who sit there with magnifying glasses looking for tiny imperfections would tell, but I can hardly see any differences.

With the Reps, I’m wearing £400 on my wrist when I go out instead of £12,000.

I’m pleased I bought my Gens but only because they’ve gone from being around £5000 each when I bought them in 2016 and 2017, to £10,000-£12,000 each, so financially they have made me money.

But they spend most of their life in a drawer in their boxes.

Would I buy a real GMT or Sub now? No I wouldn’t.

The reps are too good and the Rolex Gens have gone silly in price and simply aren’t worth it.

For everyday use I wear the rep GMT or rep Sub.

When I go on holiday, or skiing, walking, or something like that I wear my gen SuperOcean in the knowledge I can jump in the sea, the pool, or whatever, and at a value of £2500, I don’t care if it gets lost or stolen or broken on holiday.

But I rarely wear my gen Rolex models as their value is just too high to be knocked about and scratched on my wrist every day, and I do like to wear a watch everyday.

As for reliability, I’ve honestly found Reps to be amazing for reliability. I’ve even had £100 AAA replicas keep to within 2 mins per month for months on end.

Last edited:

supe12sta12z

Known Member
6/3/14
Underwhelmed isn’t what I feel. Anxiety is the word I’m looking for. People usually have anxieties when wearing a rep due to the fear of being call out but my anxieties come from fear of wear and tear from wearing my Gen. Everytime my Gen bangs into something, the pain... oh the pain. I love my Gen but I can never feel as carefree and comfortable as I do with my Reps. I love the wear and tear on my reps but I’ll never feel that way with a Gen.

So no I don’t feel underwhelmed by my Gen, it makes me appreciate the engineering in finer details of the watch due to the knowledge I’ve gained through reps and all the flaws that comes with it.

Reactions: Katarsis