• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

EU to CONUS shipping concern

924er

Known Member
28/12/16
Hello guys!

I bought a nice franken DJ41 from a member in the EU who is shipping to watch to CONUS via DHL. He used international DHL express and declared it as a gift. contents is a watch case and strap worth $100 and wrapped the watch really well. I have head that shipping from EU to CONUS is pretty low risk for customs seizures.

The tracking on DHL tracking has stalled for 5 days at: "The shipment will be transported to the destination country/destination area and, from there, handed over to the delivery organization. (Homepage / online shipment tracking (USPS)"

USPS tracking shows that they are awaiting packing and stuck at "pre shipment". There was no mention of customs in the tracking yet. I was wondering if I should be concerned that the watch was seized given that it doest take 5 days for a flight from EU to CONUS. I have had shipments from china via DHL in the past that update fairly quickly, so just wanted to get some input because I did spend a pretty penny on this watch and its at my own risk

thanks!!

jb3md

Renowned Member
11/8/19
Would worry too much. Everything is slow right now, flights are fewer etc. have had many items shipped from EU without issue.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: Dave2302

924er

Known Member
28/12/16
Would worry too much. Everything is slow right now, flights are fewer etc. have had many items shipped from EU without issue.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

well im getting paranoid regardless because the more I wait the more I see ppl posting about custom seizures on RWI lol

yodog

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
2/9/11
In my parent's basement
If its DHL why is USPS doing the delivery? I think you are talking about regular registered international. Be prepared for a long wait.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
If its DHL why is USPS doing the delivery? I think you are talking about regular registered international. Be prepared for a long wait.

They do the same out my way , DHL hands it over to usps , and usps makes the actual door drop , maybe because i live in the country , i dont know

yodog

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
2/9/11
In my parent's basement
They do the same out my way , DHL hands it over to usps , and usps makes the actual door drop , maybe because i live in the country , i dont know
that seems plausible, but the handing off should happen in the delivery country towards the end of the journey. if you send by DHL it will be using the DHL logistics network. It shouldnt even show up on the usps tracking website.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
that seems plausible, but the handing off should happen in the delivery country towards the end of the journey. if you send by DHL it will be using the DHL logistics network. It shouldnt even show up on the usps tracking website.

True it gets handed off when it hits my town , then USPS tracking does pick it up , at that point

924er

Known Member
28/12/16
True it gets handed off when it hits my town , then USPS tracking does pick it up , at that point

I did some research, apparently when shipping DHL in germany, its not actual DHL. Its confusing but there are alot of similar complaints esp now (covid) of packages sitting in Germany for a month before it actually makes it to the hands of USPS. I dont know the difference between registered airmail and courier service. My main concern is custom seizures because this was a pricey purchase.

rangan

Renowned Member
8/4/12
I did some research, apparently when shipping DHL in germany, its not actual DHL. Its confusing but there are alot of similar complaints esp now (covid) of packages sitting in Germany for a month before it actually makes it to the hands of USPS. I dont know the difference between registered airmail and courier service. My main concern is custom seizures because this was a pricey purchase.

..........You're confusing and confusing the members as well.:picard:

I believe you live in Germany, and the German Post Office uses DHL as their partner for small shipments.
That's why you see the USPS.

I think you live in Germany and you've been shipping to the German post office, and you've been tracking on USPS and that's clear.
Whereas if you shipped directly with DHL, you would never have seen USPS tracking.

I think I was clear!

924er

Known Member
28/12/16
..........You're confusing and confusing the members as well.:picard:

I believe you live in Germany, and the German Post Office uses DHL as their partner for small shipments.
That's why you see the USPS.

I think you live in Germany and you've been shipping to the German post office, and you've been tracking on USPS and that's clear.
Whereas if you shipped directly with DHL, you would never have seen USPS tracking.

I think I was clear!

No actually I live in Los Angeles. The seller lives in germany and used DHL at a german post office, it then gets transferred to the hands of USPS then to my door. Its not DHL express all the way through like I hoped. Its gonna take a long while to get here

fnacci

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/5/12
I purchased from a member in Austria on Aug. 31. He shipped it on Sept. 2. On Sept. 4 tracking showed the package “handed over at airport.” On Sept. 25 the tracking still read the same. Yet, I received it in Atlanta that same day. The Austrian Postal Service tracking never updated. The USPS tracking never acknowledged taking possession of or moving it through the system here.

There apparently are so few commercial flights leaving Europe for the U.S. these days that packages bound for the states are just piling up in the airports over there. I wouldn’t get too worried about it just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

funkeymonkey

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
12/2/23
Austria
Are there any risks in regard of consequences concerning shipping a rep to CONUS if it gets seized by customs? Any risk of fines etc. if you travel to the US at any later point in time?

t.m.m

Known Member
Certified
10/11/23
Nuremberg, Germany
I had similar behavior for a delivery UK -> GER. For 6 days the message: "The shipment is being transported to the destination country/area" Then 4 days "Your item is currently at customs in the destination country", no further information. Days later the courier showed up at the door, wanted the customs fee and handed over the package...

Just wait...

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
Also, from my own learning here and experience, do not reply to anything from customs ............

It is usual in that instance that they return the parcel to sender, who can then make alternate shipping decisions.
if its open and seized the watch is lost.

flashu

Tequila Patron
Supporter
Certified
5/2/22
EU
The tracking on DHL tracking has stalled for 5 days at: "The shipment will be transported to the destination country/destination area and, from there, handed over to the delivery organization. (Homepage / online shipment tracking (USPS)"

You are over reacting, it happens to stay more at the hub or to wait another connection towards the destination country.
Have patience

Reactions: Dave2302 and t.m.m