• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Something that has been bothering me for a while..

vicheny2k

Looking Around
26/3/20
Hi guys, new to the forum here, was gonna post this in the new members section but thought i'd do it here - would love to hear you guy's opinions and perspective regarding chronograph watches.

Watches such as the AP Royal Oak Chronograph Series (Royal Oak Chrono 26331ST SS OMF 1:1 Best Edition Blue/White Dial on Blue Leather Strap A7750 for example) are described in the detailed sections with 'Hours, minutes, sub-seconds and date display; chronograph. fake 3 & 9 o'clock are faux function'

Which means 2 out of the 3 sub-dials are pretty much stuck at stationary with no movement ever. Doesn't this very quickly tell any watch enthusiast and/or connoisseur that the watch is obviously a rep? It is so easy to notice and spot this point on these watches that 2 sub dials are non-functional and the little handles inside them are always pointing north upwards. I mean we do pay out hundreds of dollars for these types of watch and yet they can't make the effort of at least making a movement that supports the other 2 sub dials to make them 'work' too?

Your thoughts appreciated guys!

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Any person who's seen a royal oak chrono will know that you are wearing a rep not because of the 2 faux subdials, but because of the thickness of the watch, the 7750 is an incredibly thick movement, while the gen one is very slim

Spitfire63

Renowned Member
29/4/18
Your right and wrong at the same time, yes the non functioning subdials is an instant giveaway that the watch is a replica, however 99.9% of the time you wouldn't have the chronograph running so the 3 and 6 subdials would not be running and would be parked at the zero position anyway, so day to day on your wrist no one would or could tell that the watch is a rep purely based on the non functioning of the subdials. The Royal Oak that you quote for instance has a much bigger and instant visual giveaway and that's it's far too thick against the gen

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
Palm Beach
It isn't that easy, sadly. It takes a lot of time to develop movements that clone the real movements. Not until recently we got the Daytona 4130 clone, and it hasn't been that long since we began getting Rolex 31xx clones that still need a lot of fine tuning and improvements. Developing a clone is one thing, developing a reliable clone is another.

We've all been asking for the longest time for an Omega Speedmaster with a clone movement that in principle should be easy to clone.

But it isn't that easy.

It is what it is, we have what we have.

Reactions: rabl253

Ams55557

Renowned Member
16/3/18
Wouldn’t the 4130 be somewhat close to providing a platform for a 7753 or speedmaster though?

as for the ap, if you’ve seen one in person (took me 2 years to) you’d see instantly the size difference. 7750 based movements are relatively huge. The AP is teeny weeny. You wouldn’t guess that from the pictures on the internet, but 7mm or so on the wrist is obvious.

Last edited:

rabl253

Supporter
Certified
1/2/19
It is what it is, we have what we have.

That's true, until someone goes the TC route and starts manufacturing their own watches, haha

I've always wondered why 3d printing hasn't set off a renaissance around things like replica watches - it seems to me that with the advent of 3d printing, any shmuck with a couple thousand bucks should be able to start making watch cases, parts, etc. But maybe my understanding of the costs of 3d printing in metals like steel is off. I know services like shapeways can do it but of course, they'd nail you on the intellectual property. And the finishing might have to be redone by hand. Idk. It seems to me things like movement spacers and cases should be really easy to do with 3d printing. I suppose things like bezel inserts, hands, dials, couldn't just be 3d printed

Ams55557

Renowned Member
16/3/18
I’ve been trying to get 3D printing and cricut going for a while. First, layer deposition (most 3d printers) don’t nearly have the tolerances required for something nice as compared to even the cheapest of watches. Also they don’t to steal so cases would all suck.

I’ve made some bezels but have had the problem that the 3 printer doesn’t really do small text as well either.

as for the dial... go watch a video on how dials are made... there isn’t anything close you could do with a 3d printer.

as pointless as it is I’m trying though. Cricut has been useful for cutting out decals really precisely. And I’m getting not-horrible at designing 3d models and svg using grown up tools like fusion 3d. You have to have the car skillz for making spacers and movement holders. That would be nice.

I have a solid computer background, but suck at design and I have to say I’ve probably spent a 100s of hours trying to figure this out. I have no hope of getting good at it, but it has become part of the hobby. I wouldn’t suggest this aspect.

There are soooo many things to consider even outside of the printing. Paint materials, and techniques, finishing work on the plastic and paint etc etc. Even there you haven’t touched the details of the movement and lining everything up.

watch making truly takes perfection of dozens of crafts.

And I suck at them all.

But I’m ok with that.

Reactions: beanboy and rabl253

rabl253

Supporter
Certified
1/2/19
that's what the hobby is for! Personal growth :)

beanboy

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
30/3/20
I’ve been trying to get 3D printing and cricut going for a while. First, layer deposition (most 3d printers) don’t nearly have the tolerances required for something nice as compared to even the cheapest of watches. Also they don’t to steal so cases would all suck.

I’ve made some bezels but have had the problem that the 3 printer doesn’t really do small text as well either.

as for the dial... go watch a video on how dials are made... there isn’t anything close you could do with a 3d printer.

as pointless as it is I’m trying though. Cricut has been useful for cutting out decals really precisely. And I’m getting not-horrible at designing 3d models and svg using grown up tools like fusion 3d. You have to have the car skillz for making spacers and movement holders. That would be nice.

I have a solid computer background, but suck at design and I have to say I’ve probably spent a 100s of hours trying to figure this out. I have no hope of getting good at it, but it has become part of the hobby. I wouldn’t suggest this aspect.

There are soooo many things to consider even outside of the printing. Paint materials, and techniques, finishing work on the plastic and paint etc etc. Even there you haven’t touched the details of the movement and lining everything up.

watch making truly takes perfection of dozens of crafts.

And I suck at them all.

But I’m ok with that.

You're on point man, the finish of these watches are at a different level.

CaptainSplash

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/19
I've always wondered why 3d printing hasn't set off a renaissance around things like replica watches - it seems to me that with the advent of 3d printing, any shmuck with a couple thousand bucks should be able to start making watch cases, parts, etc.

Nano scale 3d printing is an emerging option right now, when it comes to the tolerances you need at the scale we like to scrutinise and critique. It is disrupting the already disruptive 3d printing world, with the tolerances and speed reaching commercial grade printers this last few months. As a side note, I ordered the new Tag Heuer cal.01, which has pretty obvious gap on the 9 o'clock SD. My solution will be to print a new dial with slightly increased SD diameters, with the help of a buddy that runs a 3d prototyping company with said nano scale printing capabilities (first one here in my neck of the woods). This particular printer has extremely exacting tolerances and does polymers, carbon, metals.... Their expected limitation is the resolution of the lasers they use for scanning :O, who would have thought! I'll circle back after that experience, and give my informed perspective.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Last edited:

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
Watches such as the AP Royal Oak Chronograph Series (Royal Oak Chrono 26331ST SS OMF 1:1 Best Edition Blue/White Dial on Blue Leather Strap A7750 for example) are described in the detailed sections with 'Hours, minutes, sub-seconds and date display; chronograph. fake 3 & 9 o'clock are faux function'

Which means 2 out of the 3 sub-dials are pretty much stuck at stationary with no movement ever. Doesn't this very quickly tell any watch enthusiast and/or connoisseur that the watch is obviously a rep?

Maybe my colleages and friends are different from yours, but no one ever grabbed my wrist and tried to start the chronograph of the watch I'm wearing against my will. Id rather have a close match to the original look and dimensions of the gen than a working chronograph. To be honest, I never really used any chronograph on a mechanical watch in real life.

[...] My solution will be to print a new dial with slightly increased SD diameters, with the help of a buddy that runs a 3d prototyping company with said nano scale printing capabilities (first one here in my neck of the woods). This particular printer has extremely exacting tolerances and does polymers, carbon, metals.... Their expected limitation is the resolution of the lasers they use for scanning :O, who would have thought! I'll circle back after that experience, and give my informed perspective.

Nice - let us know how this turns out and what cost is involved.

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
Hi guys, new to the forum here, was gonna post this in the new members section but thought i'd do it here - would love to hear you guy's opinions and perspective regarding chronograph watches.

Which means 2 out of the 3 sub-dials are pretty much stuck at stationary with no movement ever. Doesn't this very quickly tell any watch enthusiast and/or connoisseur that the watch is obviously a rep? It is so easy to notice and spot this point on these watches that 2 sub dials are non-functional and the little handles inside them are always pointing north upwards. I mean we do pay out hundreds of dollars for these types of watch and yet they can't make the effort of at least making a movement that supports the other 2 sub dials to make them 'work' too?

Your thoughts appreciated guys!

The 26331ST is an obvious rep without testing the chronograph . If you are hanging about with watch connoisseurs just looking at it will be enough .
Luckily i don't hang about with watch experts or people who are going to ask to check my watch and test the chronograph . Also 99.9 % of people you will meet haven't got a clue about watches including in my experience people who own high end Swiss watches . Finally i have a number of chronograph watches both gen and rep the sub dials may as well be faux because who the fuck uses a chronograph on a watch .:D

Last edited: