• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Busted Yachtmaster, how do I proceed?

patrck17

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/7/18
Hey so I have 10 reps so I am not a stranger to this but I just had a noob yachtmaster delivered via trustytime. I know not a TD so I won't say I am not getting what I deserve. But I am wondering what the typical etiquette is here. Can I expect service or should I just find a smith? The movement can't be in too bad of shape I shook it pretty hard and it started up again. But then did die.

CycleBuyer

15/7/13
I don't think it makes sense to ship something back to China. Have you thought about a local watchsmith, or someone from the site that'll have a look instead?

Reactions: PhilippPzy

patrck17

6/7/18
Hey just wanted to make an update here. TT recommended that I wind the crown and slap it against my palm. This did actually result in the movement starting. However after a single revolution it stops again near the same place. I guess I can try to find a good rep watchsmith around Dallas.

patrck17

6/7/18
SA3135, I just googled it, doesn't seem to have a great reputation.

Last edited:

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
I'd suggest you reach out to strodda. www.strodda.com or misiekiped. They are unfortunately not the best for repairability. Worst case you source a SH or VRF 3135 and swap it in.

LPGT56

27/10/19
TT has a 6-month warranty on the movement. I'd send it back.

patrck17

6/7/18
Yea thanks guys. I think it is going back. Seems the movement isn’t the easiest to service. Bummer it is a bad ass watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marty2020

19/12/19
SFO USA
Although it sucks that your new watch isn't working, sending it back to TT (China) is rarely worth the hassle i.m.o.
Any local 'smithy' should be able to open the watch and service the movement for you. At least give you an idea of the problem and if its worth saving.
Just thinking out loud here re replacement...but instead of going with a 3135, why not just go with the 'ol workhorse 2824 movement for your YM. It's easy to find, reliability is good, as is the price i.e. not expensive. Any watch-smith can get it for you easily. Or, you can purchase one yourself...
Now, you won't get those decorated rotors and bridges like the 3135, but it'll likely run better with increased reliability. And, if it malfunctions again 'down the road' refer back to my initial comment e.g. easy to find, not expensive.
To step out on a limb even further...if you determine that the movement is bad, they're really easy to replace unless you're 'all thumbs'.
Ummm...maybe I'm overthinking this, so I'll shut up for now.
Best wishes...

Last edited:

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Before sending it back, read up closely on the risks associated with this. You won't have any customs protection either way and the Chinese postal service isn't as good as the USA. I'd deal with it locally. Depending on what is wrong, it's possible that the dealer will source the parts and ship them or give you a credit for a future order.