• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How do you chose which watch each day?

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
Usually I just grab a watch and put it on wrist based on how I feel in the morning. Sometimes I give some thought to what's going on that day and if the complications come in handy, I'll grab a watch that suits those needs (date/seconds/GMT or whatnot).

Sometimes I'll consider who I might see and wear or don't wear certain watches. Like I volunteer at a place that assists with people who struggle with mental illness and many of the people there are homeless. On those days, I generally avoid wearing Rolex. But generally the watch I wear is an afterthought.

But today I'm struggling to make a selection and I'm not sure what. I have a few new ones and wish I could wear them all. It's making me wonder what criteria people use when picking a watch for that day.

Is it about style, fashion, function, utility?

Determing factors? Influencing factors? Just curious. Any thoughts or contributions welcome. Please.

My dilemma today...
d9a972ef16412a67314f71b5763501be.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

jb3md

Renowned Member
11/8/19
I would agree with you - for me most of the times it’s a feeling - what looks and feels right on the wrist. I try to match it to the days dress as well - dress watch or sports for a suit, tool watch for dress down days. And if going gen shopping, wear a gen!

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: Hazing

jb3md

Renowned Member
11/8/19
I would agree with you - for me most of the times it’s a feeling - what looks and feels right on the wrist. I try to match it to the days dress as well - dress watch or sports for a suit, tool watch for dress down days. And if going gen shopping, wear a gen!

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I like to think it’s based on grabbing one at random - but actually, more often than not, I either spend a few minutes making up my mind which “random” one to grab, or I put one on, then change my mind and swap to another. So who knows what curious processes are at work...

Now I stop and think, it’s probably partly influenced by the wristie threads... I see a good one and think, “damn that look so cool - I’ll have to wear mine tomorrow”!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hazing

9/5/19
I like to think it’s based on grabbing one at random - but actually, more often than not, I either spend a few minutes making up my mind which “random” one to grab, or I put one on, then change my mind and swap to another. So who knows what curious processes are at work...

Now I stop and think, it’s probably partly influenced by the wristie threads... I see a good one and think, “damn that look so cool - I’ll have to wear mine tomorrow”!

Dude I didn’t even think of that but now that I’m reading it, I can’t tell you how many selections were influenced by the previous days posts. Much of it even happening completely subconsciously. I realize it only once I am posting those pics myself that day.

Reactions: p0pperini

Hazing

9/5/19

Yep. SAme. But for me, 90% of the time it’s more about mods and feel than clothes because I’m a casual dresser. But I am very conscious of what’s on my feet. If I’m weari; a new pair or sneakers or boots, I might be more inclined to select something that compliments that days selection.

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
Palm Beach
Interesting. I decide depending on what I feel when I see my watches. I do find myself stuck between two choices almost daily. When I stay at home, I swap watches almost every two hours.

m800

Known Member
9/6/19
Every watch I owned is assigned a number between 1 and 25. When I start my day, I launch an random number generator app I have on my phone. I have the app settings constrained to choose between the numbers 1 to 2,570. Once the app generates said number, I divide the generated number by the nearest whole integer square root of the current time in minutes following the hour (ex 12:46 yields 46). I take that result and multiply it to the closing price of the Nikkei index of the last closing day. I then take that number and extract the second and fifth digit, to combine them into a number between 0-100, divide that number by 4. That produces a number between 1 and 25, corresponding to a watch of the assigned number.

I then look at the watch I like most at the moment, and wear it for the day.

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
Every watch I owned is assigned a number between 1 and 25. When I start my day, I launch an random number generator app I have on my phone. I have the app settings constrained to choose between the numbers 1 to 2,570. Once the app generates said number, I divide the generated number by the nearest whole integer square root of the current time in minutes following the hour (ex 12:46 yields 46). I take that result and multiply it to the closing price of the Nikkei index of the last closing day. I then take that number and extract the second and fifth digit, to combine them into a number between 0-100, divide that number by 4. That produces a number between 1 and 25, corresponding to a watch of the assigned number.

I hope this is true. Although, I would use the S&P personally haha.

Sent from the RWI mobile app

Ruffa2019

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/10/19
I just open up the box and see what tickles my fancy. It needs to tie in with what I’m doing but usually dictates what I wear!!!

efajri

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
I have enough watches for 52 weeks so I wear each once a week in order of the earliest buy to the recent.

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
It depends on the occasion and outfit of choice, if I feel like dressing up say wearing a velvet Tom Ford jacket or a full Tom Ford 3 piece with a turtle neck or a shirt I would wear an IWC 5007. Depending on what foot wear (brown boots/shoes) I would wear my white 5007 as is mounted with a gen brown OEM. Black I would wear my black 5007 which has a black rep croc.

Lately I have been wearing my V3 116500 LN as it goes with me wearing my white common projects at work with a shawl cardigan and jeans. Of course this could work with my vintage gen subs or my gen/rep PAMs

Sometimes I feel a bit more casual/athleisure, so my FC AP Diver is my go to pairing with a FOG oversized hoodie and some OW Jordans/prestos/blazers/Air Max/Yeezy, etc

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hazing

9/5/19
It depends on the occasion and outfit of choice, if I feel like dressing up say wearing a velvet Tom Ford jacket or a full Tom Ford 3 piece with a turtle neck or a shirt I would wear an IWC 5007. Depending on what foot wear (brown boots/shoes) I would wear my white 5007 as is mounted with a gen brown OEM. Black I would wear my black 5007 which has a black rep croc.

Lately I have been wearing my V3 116500 LN as it goes with me wearing my white common projects at work with a shawl cardigan and jeans. Of course this could work with my vintage gen subs or my gen/rep PAMs

Sometimes I feel a bit more casual/athleisure, so my FC AP Diver is my go to pairing with a FOG oversized hoodie and some OW Jordans/prestos/blazers/Air Max/Yeezy, etc

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
Velvet... Lol

I don't know why that cracked me up.

But I feel ya, brother. Yesterday I had to stop and swap watches. Because my hulk clashed with my Burberry scarf and Off--White belt.

And just for the hell of it (I posted this in the no wristies thread) - Wonder Woman with Pharrells BBC.
b0f67d1c3f0b36d8150ca8e268300958.jpg

Reactions: replikmaster

dtdomination

13/1/20
I first think about who I will be around (rep vs gen), then outfit (dress is usually gen) and try to match the feel of the outfit with the feel of the watch. Lastly, how important time telling will be throughout the day. Some watches are just too busy to get a good time reading with a quick glance. Lately, I've found myself reaching for a Panerai far too often. Sometimes I can't bring myself to leave a certain watch in the box!

gnoelkered

Known Member
4/6/19

I agree with the wear a gen while gen shopping part. Although when gen shopping, I don't wear a watch mostly. But the salesperson can tell because of the skin coloring on the watch wearing hand.

Reactions: Hoosier Watch Guy

CaptainSplash

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/19
Business or pleasure, blue suit or red jacket, blue Monday or TGIF.... so many factors. I have to say, I tend to think of the crowd I'm going to visit, too. Many collectors, most of them anoraks, so I'm careful with the reps in that setting.

Slightly off topic: Having said that, I have tested the "experts" too... once, while wearing my VFS PAM 616 and out gen strap shopping, I was showered with adoration and free cappuccinos by the Panerai salesman... I think attitude and the quality of the rep plays a big role :D. Same goes for my watch collecting mates, the right NWBIG rep is really, really hard to spot on the wrist of the confident wearer, IMHO :p.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Rpowell19

28/7/19
I agree with the wear a gen while gen shopping part. Although when gen shopping, I don't wear a watch mostly. But the salesperson can tell because of the skin coloring on the watch wearing hand.

Not necessarily while gen shopping, but I find it easier to pull off a rep if you’re dressed as if you could only conceivably be wearing a gen. sometime the watch makes the outfit, sometimes the outfit confirms the watch.

Sent from the RWI App

replikmaster

I'm Pretty Popular
19/1/11
Velvet... Lol

I don't know why that cracked me up.

But I feel ya, brother. Yesterday I had to stop and swap watches. Because my hulk clashed with my Burberry scarf and Off--White belt.

And just for the hell of it (I posted this in the no wristies thread) - Wonder Woman with Pharrells BBC.
b0f67d1c3f0b36d8150ca8e268300958.jpg

Amazing combo!! I have the watch and the blue strap is laying around. Will do it right now!!!

Enviado de meu SM-N975F usando o Tapatalk

Reactions: Hazing

BaraaM

8/8/17
World of tic tac
I have a gen Omega planet ocean, and a rep one,
have others breitling too.
In general I choose one depending on the clothes colors (:)