• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is this rust?

megapleb

Known Member
5/7/18
US
I picked up this gen, one of my favourite designs, and didn't examine the pictures closely enough. What's the mark around 2 o'clock? :(
f7f3c071fe1813a7b0c24ba03fb71edb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Cheesemonger

I'm Pretty Popular
23/11/13
That same type of discoloration is starting to show at the 3 o’clock marker as well. I am not sure if that is bleed through of something from the reverse of the dial (I don’t know what material the dial is made from). Could that possibly be from whatever glue was used to secure the markers to the top of the dial?

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
Angle of light coming through the crystal and hitting the H2 marker creating an illusion .. Look at all your maker tips … there's slight reflection on many, but the H2 marker was just the right angle to create a staining illusion. This is a perfect example of camera shots playing tricks on you. You'll find many people who think watches are flawed, and it's just a lighting and/or camera angle issue.

megapleb

Known Member
5/7/18
US
Angle of light coming through the crystal and hitting the H2 marker creating an illusion .. Look at all your maker tips … there's slight reflection on many, but the H2 marker was just the right angle to create a staining illusion. This is a perfect example of camera shots playing tricks on you. You'll find many people who think watches are flawed, and it's just a lighting and/or camera angle issue.

I wish you were right but unfortunately it's visible regardless of angle. It's definitely not the camera playing tricks on me, it's plainly visible to the naked eye.

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
I wish you were right but unfortunately it's visible regardless of angle. It's definitely not the camera playing tricks on me, it's plainly visible to the naked eye.

Those markers should be set ..no glue. Have you had it pressure tested?

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
Looks like tarnish. I imagine the post and the underside of the index marker are oxidizing.

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
If that's a gen Zenith, those markers are either white gold or stainless steel....no oxidation ..

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
We've all had watches that got condensation under the crystal. I've never seen a dial oxidize or any hardware on the dial oxidize. This would be a first, and on a reputable gen brand, I'm shocked. If I were the OP, I'd be pissed!

megapleb

Known Member
5/7/18
US
Those markers should be set ..no glue. Have you had it pressure tested?

No, I just got it two days ago and I'm trying to decide what to do. I'm sure I can send it to Zenith , but I think that will cost a lot. I'm hopeful I can find a good watch maker who will fix it for a reasonable sum.

megapleb

Known Member
5/7/18
US
We've all had watches that got condensation under the crystal. I've never seen a dial oxidize or any hardware on the dial oxidize. This would be a first, and on a reputable gen brand, I'm shocked. If I were the OP, I'd be pissed!

Indeed I am! Then again, I should have spotted the issue in the pictures before I bought.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Generally, yes. 12k is standard white gold - 50% gold, 50% silver, but it can range anywhere from 9k to 18k.

they dont use other metal like platinum or palladium ?