• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Going to a gen watch collectors' event soon: I don't have any gen watches right now, only reps

rek00001

Known Member
24/4/13
Hi all, here's an interesting situation (I think). So I found out about a gen watch collectors' event happening in Chicago on November 19th, sponsored by Worn&Wound and Oak & Oscar (Chicago based watch makers). I registered for the event, looking forward to it.

Here's my dilemna, at this time I hown about 30 rep watches, all carefully chosen. I don't have any gens though, believe it or not. As per the rule of "don't take your rep into an AD, I'm not going to wear a rep to this event.

So, I need to purchase a gen watch ASAP to wear to the event, and I'd like to keep it under $500.00, ok I'll go a bit higher if necessary. What should I get - a micro brand watch, maybe a Seiko Mini Turtle, or what else?

Advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
I would check the bay for a vintage omega or something else as it has a bit more to offer than just „i‘m a gen watch with an automatic movement“ which basically all microbrands combine while cutting some corners (design wise, quality wise or image wise etc.) compared to their price (not all but a majority IMO).

otherwise i would rather wear nothing as awkward as it sounds than buying a „cheap“ gen watch just to don‘t wear a rep.

pretty interesting situation though - indeed ;)

Last edited:

rek00001

Known Member
24/4/13
Thanks for reply, Bionone. The vintage route does sound intriguing, I'll check into it. I have about 9 days to get something. I hear you but I don't want to show up with a naked wrist.

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
Second the vintage Omega thought. There are some cool bumper models out there. I just did a “Swiss watch” search on eBay capped at $500 and found some very cool Zenith’s, Hamilton’s, Omegas, Breitlings, and pocket watch conversions.

The biggest thing with going vintage (other than the condition of the mechanicals and dial) is the size — It’s tough to get over 38MM. If that doesn’t matter to you, this will be a much easier exercise.

Good luck and let us know what you pick! Should be a fun event — get as many stories from the old timers as you can. There can be great relationships built at these types of deals ...

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

The Alchemy Index

Put Some Respect On My Name
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/6/15
I’d just buy a Seiko (SKX, SRP, SARB etc) and call it good

Will be respected and last you forever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rek00001

Known Member
24/4/13
Thanks much or replies guys, looking into the eBay vintage thing now, although it's a jungle out there lol, and I have a time limit.

Right now I'm thinking a Seiko Mini Turtle on jubilee bracelet may be my fall back option, I love vintage inspired cushion cases.

CurioLeo

GPsy King
Gold Patron
Certified
22/8/18
Australia
Pick up a vintage Seiko chrono or a King Seiko, throw it on a strap that elevates it and you might evrn surprise yourself and actually enjoy the watch for a few years. Some mediocre low end modern Seiko, Citizen or some microbrand for under $500 isn't going to do much for you at a convention. Try a Seiko 6139-6022 pulsations as an example

Last edited:

LOOKINGFORADEAL

Known Member
2/11/17
Just wear a super rep Tudor or something and enjoy yourself. You’ll be fine.

rabl253

Supporter
Certified
1/2/19
Just borrow a watch from a friend or go without anything on your wrist.

Literally nobody will notice or care or say anything of it.

RobU6263Daytona

Known Member
6/6/17
I would say that if you wear something along the lines of a Sub or GMT that isn't out of the ordinary, no one is going to take a loop to your watch and have a "closer look" due to it being too common. Less popular brands may be okay too, as long as they don't draw too much attention. Think about it, there are more than likely going to be hundreds of other people there all wearing nice watches. Don't stand out.
If you do wear something out of the ordinary or vintage, you'll likely have an issue. Again, these are people that are watch fanatics and they will notice what you're wearing.

As others have said, vintage Seiko's are a great buy. Stay away from eBay however. Check out www.watchrecon.com. 100% you're buying the seller.

rek00001

Known Member
24/4/13
Thanks for all the replies guys.

I'm going to wear my replica vintage gold PN Daytona (gen value $130,000) go big or go home.

I'm kidding. But can you imagine the responses? I/m borrowing a nice Omega Speedy from a good friend, all set.

Reactions: Raddave

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Thanks for all the replies guys.

I'm going to wear my replica vintage gold PN Daytona (gen value $130,000) go big or go home.

I'm kidding. But can you imagine the responses? I/m borrowing a nice Omega Speedy from a good friend, all set.

Post a wristie !

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
I like to browse the boutiques and want a gen for exactly that reason. I can't imagine not wearing a watch. And I know, it's an expensive propulsion, just to buy a watch that I can wear when I go shopping. So I understand the dilemmas. I have some older rolex models but I feel like those are too small. It is tough.

This is the very definition of first world problems. Good problems to have - in the grand scheme of things.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

jb3md

Renowned Member
11/8/19
Whatever you do don’t rock a nautilus or Pepsi gmt! Gen Speedy is great bet. But I’m sure a “lower” end rep wouldn’t draw much attention. People don’t look that closely as long as it’s something modest-ish

FearOfGod

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/12/19
SEVENTH HEAVEN
If I were you, I would skip the event and save up the $500 and go for the 31st piece.

It’s a two different world.

Either he’s dead or my watch has stopped.

QWERTY7888889

Known Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
8/6/15
Italy
You should buy a gen iconic entry level!
there is no excuse to start a gen collection.
rep are not intresting like the gen one.NEVER ;)

riderocket

18/9/18
Borrow your father's watch. Boom you have an instant conversation piece. Even more so if it's a quartz.

Option b) rock the hell out of an F-91. Problem is you may end up being not the only one.