• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tudor ranger 36mm DIY tips

muju79

Horology Curious
5/11/19
Hi all!
New to the forum, I've posted this request below in the "new members" section but I think there's higher chance of replies here...apologies in advance for the double post.

As per title, I'm looking to build for my dad a replica Ranger in 36mm from the scratch using parts available online.
I was thinking about the following:

1. Movement: 2824-2
2. Case: 36mm DJ smooth bezel from Raffles Dials
3. Dial: Ranger dial again from Raffles Dials
4. Bracelet: to be decided.

Some questions I hope somebody will kindly have the time to answer:

1. Any correction/suggestion to the above list?
2. Is Raffles dials a reliable source? How are his 36mm cases compared to, say, Ofrei 36mm case?
3. Will I need anything else to put together the watch, besides the parts listed above and the usual watchmaker tools?

Thank you in advance and have a great day.

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
Hi all!
New to the forum, I've posted this request below in the "new members" section but I think there's higher chance of replies here...apologies in advance for the double post.

As per title, I'm looking to build for my dad a replica Ranger in 36mm from the scratch using parts available online.
I was thinking about the following:

1. Movement: 2824-2
2. Case: 36mm DJ smooth bezel from Raffles Dials
3. Dial: Ranger dial again from Raffles Dials
4. Bracelet: to be decided.

Some questions I hope somebody will kindly have the time to answer:

1. Any correction/suggestion to the above list?
2. Is Raffles dials a reliable source? How are his 36mm cases compared to, say, Ofrei 36mm case?
3. Will I need anything else to put together the watch, besides the parts listed above and the usual watchmaker tools?

Thank you in advance and have a great day.

1. Movement should be fine as long as a datewheel overlay is not needed which I don’t think rangers do.
Be sure to get the H-4 pinion set so the hour hand is taller than the dial. The movement should come with a movement spacer ring.

2. Never used a raffles case but I don’t see why it wouldn’t be a good choice.

3. You will probably have to request a branded case set so you don’t end up with a sterile case, crown and case back.

I would recommend Yuki for the dial though. Raffles dials are... ok at best.

If you’re doing a vintage build, you will need lug holes so keep that in mins for your budget.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muju79

Horology Curious
5/11/19
Be sure to get the H-4 pinion set so the hour hand is taller than the dial.

Thank you very much! I didn't know about this detail. The ETA I have ordered is described as "Hand Height : HH2", I have contacted the seller to know if it is possible to have a HH4 instead.

Cheers!

muju79

Horology Curious
5/11/19
1. Movement should be fine as long as a datewheel overlay is not needed which I don’t think rangers do.
Be sure to get the H-4 pinion set so the hour hand is taller than the dial. The movement should come with a movement spacer ring.

OK...first big problem.

I'd asked the ETA2824 seller if he could send me a movement with a H4 and he said "yes possible".
And that's what he's done: he sent me a ETA2824 and all H4 components...not installed (insert sound of a huge facepalm here).

I can't install the H4 by myself without destroying the movement, quite sure about this.
My question is: just because you need to put a spacer ring between the 2824 date wheel and the dial, does this automatically means you need a taller pinion?
Can the dial be installed ignoring the spacer ring, or will this affect the date wheel movement?

If so what do I do now? Try to build with the standard H2 and hope that I can get away with it anyway (which is NEVER the case)?

Thank you in advance!

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Hi and welcome.

Get comfy cause this is gonna be a good read with lots of info for your project. Great choice on the watch. Its very cool and understated

I dont know how accurate you want to build this piece but some of us, myself included put in an effort to get it as 1:1 with gen as we can.

I recently completed a Tudor Ranger 90220 build This build is modeled after the 1980's reference that has the shield logo, and its own reference number ( compared to the rangers of previous years that shared the shame references as their oyster prince )

Specs:
Raffles case set 34mm with shield crown and flat tudor caseback.
AF Switzerland vintage domed crystal - had to modify the bezel to fit it - enlarge ID of bezel
Yuki dial shield no date 90220 ref.
raffles time hands set - proper spade hour hand
clone eta 2824 movement
cartel 19mm bracelet
I need to source a proper gen case set or caseback with hopes that it will fit the raffles case.

Okay on to your project.

I assume that you are wanting to build the 90550 which has the date complication ?
Raffles only offers the ranger date dial Its cool cause its the only dial with the small rose logo available Yuki offers the shield logo dial and has them with or without date. I prefered the simple and balanced dial layout of the no date dial The Yuki dials are more money but they include hands for eta

DO NOT GET A RED RANGER DIAL. - THEY ARE MYTHICAL! Some say that they were offered for a very short time but many claim that their fake and never existed in gen form. It is said that they were created to capitalize on the Red Submariner hype of the time period. Unless your Dad hangs out with watch nerds , nobody will notice or care.

Vintage Rangers are 34 mm you will need to use the Raffles tudor case set in 34 mm . this is a good case set . it has the drilled lugs .

The crystal is sapphire and the cyclops isn't 2.5 mag. I've seen others use it and its fine but if you want it to be as close as possible. you will need to swap the crystal to acrylic. Again, if this project is for your dad and he is not picky , he may prefer the sapphire crystal as its more scratch resistant.

The dial will not fit a 36 mm case , the dial opening is too large for the dial you must use a 34mm case set from raffles

I think the H2 movement you have should work. I rarely use the dial spacer ring in my builds and I do not have clearance issues. The spade hand does not make contact with the dial or the indices so you should be good.

The date should line up with with the window no problem and with the cyclops on the crystal . you should be good

You will need to source hands from raffles- time . similar name - different company and contact. they offer the proper handset for the ranger The Yuki hand set has flaws. The spade hour hand has lume all the way down the arm , where the gen only has lume about half way down.
the minute hand flairs out towards the tip. They should have a pencil style hand like the explorers.

Dont be fooled by the case size. yes 34mm look and feel small initially but they wear great and not that much different than a 36mm explorer. its light and easy to wear and I think looks good on my 7.5" wrist. The smaller the wrist , the better ..yes but I dont feel like I am wearing a ladies watch at all.

Greater men , accomplished amazing feats wearing smaller watches than this even! The man makes the watch.!

If you need any more info or help...drop me a line I would be happy to give you more advice or help you with the build if needed.

Good luck be sure to post pics of the project and let us know how your Dad likes it!!

Cheers

Reactions: notanalias

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Here is a ranger date that BabaNJ built sometime ago.
raffles case and dial raffles time hands .. I think it looks sharp , he did a great job.

IMG_20180715_143910.jpg

muju79

Horology Curious
5/11/19
Thanks!!!
I really appreciate the effort and sorry for the delay.
I've built mine using raffles case, bracelet and dial, the hands are from Yuki and are perfect.I've found all the rep parts to be of very high quality, actually, and it was a pleasant surprise.
For the movement: the standard H2 pinion worked well, no clearances issues since the dial is perfectly flat.
Overall it was very easy to assemble, it took me a little over one hour. I'm perfectly happy with it, i's a great watch and although it's a replica it is getting more wrist time than my other original pieces...go figure.
Cheers!

Reactions: 369mafia

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Thanks!!!
I really appreciate the effort and sorry for the delay.
I've built mine using raffles case, bracelet and dial, the hands are from Yuki and are perfect.I've found all the rep parts to be of very high quality, actually, and it was a pleasant surprise.
For the movement: the standard H2 pinion worked well, no clearances issues since the dial is perfectly flat.
Overall it was very easy to assemble, it took me a little over one hour. I'm perfectly happy with it, i's a great watch and although it's a replica it is getting more wrist time than my other original pieces...go figure.
Cheers!

would be great to see pics!!

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
It does look great..nice job..
the only criticism is the hour hand..it should not have lume going all the way up...it should stop half way...other than that it looks great even the date wheel looks proper..

How are you adjusting to the 34mm size....wears comfortable eh?

Reactions: muju79

An6

18/3/19
Germany
Hi and welcome.

Get comfy cause this is gonna be a good read with lots of info for your project. Great choice on the watch. Its very cool and understated

I dont know how accurate you want to build this piece but some of us, myself included put in an effort to get it as 1:1 with gen as we can.

I recently completed a Tudor Ranger 90220 build This build is modeled after the 1980's reference that has the shield logo, and its own reference number ( compared to the rangers of previous years that shared the shame references as their oyster prince )

Specs:
Raffles case set 34mm with shield crown and flat tudor caseback.
AF Switzerland vintage domed crystal - had to modify the bezel to fit it - enlarge ID of bezel
Yuki dial shield no date 90220 ref.
raffles time hands set - proper spade hour hand
clone eta 2824 movement
cartel 19mm bracelet
I need to source a proper gen case set or caseback with hopes that it will fit the raffles case.

Okay on to your project.

I assume that you are wanting to build the 90550 which has the date complication ?
Raffles only offers the ranger date dial Its cool cause its the only dial with the small rose logo available Yuki offers the shield logo dial and has them with or without date. I prefered the simple and balanced dial layout of the no date dial The Yuki dials are more money but they include hands for eta

DO NOT GET A RED RANGER DIAL. - THEY ARE MYTHICAL! Some say that they were offered for a very short time but many claim that their fake and never existed in gen form. It is said that they were created to capitalize on the Red Submariner hype of the time period. Unless your Dad hangs out with watch nerds , nobody will notice or care.

Vintage Rangers are 34 mm you will need to use the Raffles tudor case set in 34 mm . this is a good case set . it has the drilled lugs .

The crystal is sapphire and the cyclops isn't 2.5 mag. I've seen others use it and its fine but if you want it to be as close as possible. you will need to swap the crystal to acrylic. Again, if this project is for your dad and he is not picky , he may prefer the sapphire crystal as its more scratch resistant.

The dial will not fit a 36 mm case , the dial opening is too large for the dial you must use a 34mm case set from raffles

I think the H2 movement you have should work. I rarely use the dial spacer ring in my builds and I do not have clearance issues. The spade hand does not make contact with the dial or the indices so you should be good.

The date should line up with with the window no problem and with the cyclops on the crystal . you should be good

You will need to source hands from raffles- time . similar name - different company and contact. they offer the proper handset for the ranger The Yuki hand set has flaws. The spade hour hand has lume all the way down the arm , where the gen only has lume about half way down.
the minute hand flairs out towards the tip. They should have a pencil style hand like the explorers.

Dont be fooled by the case size. yes 34mm look and feel small initially but they wear great and not that much different than a 36mm explorer. its light and easy to wear and I think looks good on my 7.5" wrist. The smaller the wrist , the better ..yes but I dont feel like I am wearing a ladies watch at all.

Greater men , accomplished amazing feats wearing smaller watches than this even! The man makes the watch.!

If you need any more info or help...drop me a line I would be happy to give you more advice or help you with the build if needed.

Good luck be sure to post pics of the project and let us know how your Dad likes it!!

Cheers

Great project

What is the lug to lug size of the 34 mm case. Is it like the gen around 41/42 mm oder is it larger?

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Great project

What is the lug to lug size of the 34 mm case. Is it like the gen around 41/42 mm oder is it larger?

Thanks! Its comfortable and just different enough from an explorer ...unique on its on.
lug to lug is 41.00 mm

An6

18/3/19
Germany
Thanks! Its comfortable and just different enough from an explorer ...unique on its on.
lug to lug is 41.00 mm

Thanks. For my first project I would like to get a 34mm raffles case. I terms of the dial he currently has dials with date, I prefer no date.
So maybe I go for the 36mm case.

QWERTY7888889

Known Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
8/6/15
Italy
Great job! Maybe i will try this build thanks for you affort! Very very importante for rookie like me

est4129

Supporter
15/9/18
I am collecting parts for a Ranger build and I just picked up a gen 34mm 7995 (Ranger or Oysterdate) case with the crown tube installed but no crown. Do these take a 5.3mm or 6mm crown? Who makes the best aftermarket crown - looked at gen and they are all either half busted or to much money, pushing 200 bucks for a NOS part.

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
I am collecting parts for a Ranger build and I just picked up a gen 34mm 7995 (Ranger or Oysterdate) case with the crown tube installed but no crown. Do these take a 5.3mm or 6mm crown? Who makes the best aftermarket crown - looked at gen and they are all either half busted or to much money, pushing 200 bucks for a NOS part.

the 34mm cases take a 5.3mm crown. Raffles dial offers the best affordable rep crowns

connery77

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
16/8/11
I'm building one of these 90220 models using the 34mm Raffles case. Does anybody know what kind and thickness the spring bars should be for accuracy's sake? Do you have to drill out the lug holes like we do on vintage sub builds?

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
I'm building one of these 90220 models using the 34mm Raffles case. Does anybody know what kind and thickness the spring bars should be for accuracy's sake? Do you have to drill out the lug holes like we do on vintage sub builds?

Raffles 34mm Tudor case has lugs already drilled through so you don't have to redrill it.
You should find 19mm double shoulder spring bars that fit in.