• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Watch Servicing pre delivery through TD and Water Resistance Experience

Chronofrigger

Just one more watch, for sure this time.
9/6/19
United States
While I don't plan on diving or swimming with my watches, I am hoping to mitigate risks. I had an Omega Seamaster 300m go through caked on blood and dirt and subsequent washing this past month and it came out just fine. I did not have the service done, but if I had what level of water resistance can I expect?

Can you share your experience with watch servicing by TDs for increased water resistance?
  1. When and what service did you get done?
  2. What type of servicing you would recommend based on your experience?
  3. What rate did you pay for the service?
  4. Any tips on what to ask TDs to get the best outcomes.
  5. Also any US or TX based watch service recommendation would be great
Thanks

freediver

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/17
i service and waterproof all my reps, at least the ones i intend to keep

Chinese movements mostly come dry and dirty

I use interaktiv but he is in Europe so look for a conus forum watchsmith

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
I have asked a few different dealers about servicing the watch before they ship it out and also asked about waterproofing. Each time I have, each dealer I asked told me “the watch you’re gett8ng comes waterproofed from the factory and there wouldn’t be any benefit to the service here” so you should be all set, for the most part, with showering and surface/pool swimming right out of the box.

When you get it, grease the seals and you should be fine. Or if it makes you feel better, once you get it, send it off to someone for service. Some trusted dealers here even test to make sure the watch is waterproof to 5 bar and send the test results along with the other QC pics.

Reactions: Chronofrigger

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Don't waste your money on TD 'servicing' and 'waterproofing.

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
Haha! Polar opposite responses on 'the to service or not to service' question. Can you see the noob in me confused?

vs

So any word on how much it costs? local vs China.

Not really. I had asked a dealer if they do anything extra to waterproof the watches to which the dealer told me... the reply you see above. That is what my answer is in relation to.

Reps have been well documented as arriving pretty dirty so service upon receipt is never a bad idea.