• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tom Ford replica suit.

Benjijm

Gold Patron
29/4/18
I don’t know if I speak for everyone but I quite enjoy wearing my watches with a nice suit. That being said I am developing a replica Tom Ford suit and the first prototype will be ready on Monday or Tuesday and I will post some pictures when it’s ready! In the future I want to try with other brands such as Hermes, Gucci, Giorgio Armani and many others, I would love to know what you all think and if you will be interested in a commodity like this?

Sent from the RWI App

Reactions: seba0112

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
I’m not a rep clothing fan but do like the large lapel Tom ford styles.

I thought about sending pictures of a Tom ford style suit to my tailor and asking him to make something similar (I like the fat lapels on Tom ford suits - don’t care for the labels tho).

A suit has to be cut right and well fitted - otherwise don’t bother wearing one. The fabric should hang well.

I can’t imagine bulk produced China factory rep suits being worth wearing but a bespoke suit made in the Tom ford style would be interesting. Keep us updated mate.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
I own about 16 TF suits and about 10+ blazers I will be interested to see what your prototype will looks like. Things which I will take notice will be,

1) milanese button hole on the lapel
2) all button holes have gimp lined so it is raised
3) a subtle rope shoulder
4) jacket is full canvas/half depending on the style you are copying
5) all exterior pockets are not angled, i.e flat
6) barchetta chest pocket
7) all buttons on the sleeve are workable and they should be 5 or 3 (unless is the new JB style which is 4) and the last button hole close to the cuff is longer than the others.
8) trousers has a curved line pocket when laid flat
9) raised back split on the trousers

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: stufuse

Benjijm

Gold Patron
29/4/18
I own about 16 TF suits and about 10+ blazers I will be interested to see what your prototype will looks like. Things which I will take notice will be,

1) milanese button hole on the lapel
2) all button holes have gimp lined so it is raised
3) a subtle rope shoulder
4) jacket is full canvas/half depending on the style you are copying
5) all exterior pockets are not angled, i.e flat
6) barchetta chest pocket
7) all buttons on the sleeve are workable and they should be 5 or 3 (unless is the new JB style which is 4) and the last button hole close to the cuff is longer than the others.
8) trousers has a curved line pocket when laid flat
9) raised back split on the trousers

I don’t think it will be that accurate but I will take note of these factors. Thank you!!

Sent from the RWI App

Reactions: oldsoulie

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
Wow. Aren’t they £3k a pop? I’d rather buy bespoke saville row London suits personally.

Suitsupply do some similar styles, great fabrics, excellent cut.
I bought most of them second hand or on sale. The guys at the TF boutique give me the first viewing before a pre sale so I can pick what I want and in my size.

Reactions: KSwatches

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
Suits are all about the fabric...
Agree... But if the colour is very standard like black, navy or grey it shouldn't be as pricey as some of the more expensive weave and pattern. I have a 100% silk TF it retailed for £3.6k 8 yrs ago.. I got it for £2.5k so that's the most expensive suit I ever own

AlphaProt

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
24/3/19
New Zealand
I recently got a suit one. Let’s call it “tom ford” style.

it featured peak lapels, 2 flap pockets on the right, side vent etc etc...
philwongnz doesn’t have all the minor details mentioned by you I think. But the overall look is nice and it is tailored to fit me. For a price of $600 for 100% wool 2 piece “Tom Ford” style. I am happy!

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
I recently got a suit one. Let’s call it “tom ford” style.

it featured peak lapels, 2 flap pockets on the right, side vent etc etc...
philwongnz doesn’t have all the minor details mentioned by you I think. But the overall look is nice and it is tailored to fit me. For a price of $600 for 100% wool 2 piece “Tom Ford” style. I am happy!

The "Tom Ford" style varies quite a bit now as the first cut/style (Windsor has been around for over a decade), have a look here for the style https://www.costumelimite.com/tom-ford-base-fit-overview-ultimate-guide/

To me the "classic TF" style is what Harvey wears in Suits, of which is the Windsor with large peak lapel and regular fit (semi slimmed for most brands luxury brands. e.g Zegna and Zegna actually makes TF suits). There are so many company's now which has similar style as what I have described (you only need to look on Instagram) and a lot of ex-TF staff actually now branched off to make their own suit brands as they simply copied the style block.

Like watches, the devil are in the details. Some TF hand finishes can not be simplified. For example I had my tailor to copy my TF suits from HK before. I personally spend 2 hours putting on a milanese button hole on the lapel, even an experience tailor will take an hr.

Benjijm

Gold Patron
29/4/18
Hi guys sorry been quite busy just waiting on the embroider to finish the label and all will be done, Tuesday was abit optimistic.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: philwongnz

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Suits are all about the fabric...

This guy is right, and its especially true of TF. OP you should go and check out the real thing as those italian weaves are amazing. Its so much more than color, cut and shape.

If you want designer clothes ripped off with cheap fabrics then go to Zara.

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
This guy is right, and its especially true of TF. OP you should go and check out the real thing as those italian weaves are amazing. Its so much more than color, cut and shape.

If you want designer clothes ripped off with cheap fabrics then go to Zara.
I actually had a Massimo Dutti suit which they had copied a lot of TF details,so much it even impressed my tailored. The fit definitely doesn't feel like a TF (even after some alterations), e.g arm holes are bit high enough and is not canvas. But I actually don't mind it. I managed to find some silk threads which matches to the existing button hole colour and put on a milanese button hole on the lapel.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
I actually had a Massimo Dutti suit which they had copied a lot of TF details,so much it even impressed my tailored. The fit definitely doesn't feel like a TF (even after some alterations), e.g arm holes are bit high enough and is not canvas. But I actually don't mind it. I managed to find some silk threads which matches to the existing button hole colour and put on a milanese button hole on the lapel.

You'll probably find that TF is inspired by MD - the latter is a fairly classical Italian style and always has been. TF is just a bit more 'glam'.

Main thing is you're happy with it.

TF key styles are broad shoulders, angled slightly downwards, bisected with prominent wide lapels angled up. The waist on the jacket should be pinched in, slightly higher than normal so your legs look longer, and the sleeves are fairly even all the way down. Get your stubble, fake tan and aviators on as well. I had a load of his stuff from when he was at Gucci, and YSL. When it was cool to wear a black / dark blue velvet dinner jacket with jeans. Looks odd now though!

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
I read an article a wee while back. After Tom Ford retired from the Gucci group, for the first time in a decade he has to buy clothes. He went to Savile Row and settle with Anderson and Sheppard, like all tailors at the Row they have their own house cut and TF found it very frustrating to get things made to his liking (e.g having wide lapels) of which A&D said no. This frustration actually was one of his driver to start a men's line. From what I read his Windsor cut is a "hybrid" of English and Italian of which it shows when there are shoulder padding used (not as heavy compared to normal English tailors like Gieves and Hawkes where they are more uniform and military) but enough to drape where it carries on with a soft rope shoulders and falls to the arms.

You were spot on with the Italian part where, but the waist was nipped it at the naval, not slightly higher like Richard James or Ozwald Boateng where like you said to elongate the wearers legs. I tried on Richard James before and it doesn't suit me, I'm not tall (5ft 10ish) but I work out 5 days a week where I have a triangle torso his slightly high button trick makes my body look weird, the proportion is like wearing a slightly longer Thom Browne suit.

TF instead had choose to elgonate the wearers legs by having high waisted trousers, I think is much more formal and also gives him the opportunity to have a higher seat of the trousers with a nice split back seam.

Haha, I own 4 TF Velvet jackets, I tend to wear them with a white V neck or shirt with semi slim blue or black raw denim jeans (Dior Homme) or light grey flannel TF trousers that came with my 3 piece.

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
Wow. Aren’t they £3k a pop? I’d rather buy bespoke saville row London suits personally.

Suitsupply do some similar styles, great fabrics, excellent cut.

I second suit supply, awesome suits for the money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
I second suit supply, awesome suits for the money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Me too. If anyone asks me with a budget where to get a decent suit, is suit supply. They are half canvas with decent materials, I recommended several people for their weddings already. For me I can't wear their stuff, it just doesn't fit me, their shoulders are a bit too narrow, so I have to size up to a 40R but have to take things in (waist, arm length, etc) of which it makes the proportion of the suit looks a bit strange and the alts ain't cheap. I fit a 38R TF Windsor (earlier season needs adjustments) without any alts.