• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The best Dress Watch for you?

WATCH HACKER

I'm Pretty Popular
MULTI ACCOUNT
24/4/19
Currently in South Hampton
I see you've seen the wrist shots ;-)

Honestly, that Calatrava is one of a kind, ZF has done a terrific job. I'm already regretting selling it, I'll probably buy one again in less than a year, haha.

Yeah I've seen it and it's awesome. I already tell my TD to get it for me hahah =)

Breguet La Tradition 7057 or the Konstantin Chaykin Joker if you prefer something different (two opposite stly of dress watches but each one nice in it’s details)

Hoho the first one is nice but I think it's complicated and the 2nd one is cool but I'm not going to wear it on my wedding =D hehehe because I'm looking for a watch that will suits my suit well =D

PlastikMan

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
3/8/17
This is what I love about this forum... the intricacies related to this hobby. For me a dress watch is more about simplicity, classic look, indiscretion and ‘uncomplications’, no dates, no calendars, 2 hands preferably, 3 the most on a black leather strap.
My picks are:

Cartier Tank Solo
JLC Reverso Tribute 1931
Glashütte Senator Sixties

I would say the Calatrava falls into this category but for some reason I find this watch really boring and I just don’t like it!

Following this rather classic look into a sportier but still, arguably, dress category, I’d pick the Cartier Santos 35mm (no date) and the Rolex DateJust 36mm (I don’t like the Celini, find it boring too lol).

I love the 3 hands of the likes of the Royal Oak, Nautilus and the VC Overseas but I don’t label these as dress watches but rather luxury sports

Last edited:

WATCH HACKER

I'm Pretty Popular
MULTI ACCOUNT
24/4/19
This is what I love about this forum... the intricacies related to this hobby. For me a dress watch is more about simplicity, classic look, indiscretion and ‘uncomplications’, no dates, no calendars, 2 hands preferably, 3 the most on a black leather strap.
My picks are:

Cartier Tank Solo
JLC Reverso Tribute 1931
Glashütte Senator Sixties

I would say the Calatrava falls into this category but for some reason I find this watch really boring and I just don’t like it!

Following this rather classic look into a sportier but still, arguably, dress category, I’d pick the Cartier Santos 35mm (no date) and the Rolex DateJust 36mm (I don’t like the Celini, find it boring too lol).

I love the 3 hands of the likes of the Royal Oak, Nautilus and the VC Overseas but I don’t label these as dress watches but rather luxury sports

Hello =) Now come to think of it Calatrava is lil bit boring as you said. hmmmmmm yeah I agree with you, like 70/30 hehehe.

In the AP Royal Oak you mean the 15400?

PlastikMan

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
3/8/17
Hello =) Now come to think of it Calatrava is lil bit boring as you said. hmmmmmm yeah I agree with you, like 70/30 hehehe.

In the AP Royal Oak you mean the 15400?

Yep the 15400 which is on my to get list together with two other to get my 20 watch box completed.

The 15400 is a holy grail for me.

PlastikMan

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
3/8/17
I'm in business with my TD for a JF AP RoyalOak RG 15400 White Dial with Black Leather Strap. I think it will suit as a dress watch as well ????

Oh that’s beautiful... you’re brave going RG I couldn’t pull that off :)

It is a classy watch nevertheless... for me would be too large as I like them to fall under the cuff. Share pics when you receive yours.

On another off topic note, I received today my Santos and my Navitimer at home.. haven’t seen them yet... I’m like a kids before Christmas hahaha

Last edited:
Reactions: WATCH HACKER

WATCH HACKER

I'm Pretty Popular
MULTI ACCOUNT
24/4/19
Oh that’s beautiful... you’re brave going RG I couldn’t pull that off :)

It is a classy watch nevertheless... for me would be too large as I like them to fall under the cuff. Share pics when you receive yours.

On another off topic note, I received today my Santos and my Navitimer at home.. haven’t seen them yet... I’m like a kids before Christmas hahaha

Yeah I'll post a pic here hehe. Anyway is it okay if you share your's as well? I'm curious bout that Santos =D

WATCH HACKER

I'm Pretty Popular
MULTI ACCOUNT
24/4/19
Hey guys, before I place my payment with my TD, suddenly I think that a Nautilus SS with White Dial on a brown or black leather strap will look good as well as a dress watch. Have you seen one before in real life? I keep on searching here in the forums but everybody has the usual SS bracelet.

Any thoughts?

TaizDhaar

Known Member
30/5/17
1269c7ee7fac067da298ba60834362b7.jpg

Something I found on the net.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PlastikMan

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
3/8/17
1269c7ee7fac067da298ba60834362b7.jpg

Something I found on the net.

I’m a purist... I think a divers have no presence on a suit unless you’re James Bond and will free dive out of the boardroom from the 9th floor onto the swimming pool whilst drinking a shaken not stirred on the way down hahaha

Last edited:

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
I’m a purist... I think a divers have no presence on a suit unless you’re James Bond and will free dive out of the boardroom from the 9th floor onto the swimming pool whilst drinking a shaken not stirred on the way down hahaha

This!

Diving in the sea? take a diver watch.
Driving a race? take a racing watch.
Flying an airplane? take a pilot watch.

For a formal event? take a dress watch.
Simple...

TaizDhaar

Known Member
30/5/17
Well all respect to every ones opinion but I believe you want a dress watch to go with the suit at your wedding. Correct me if I am wrong.

Just wear whatever makes you happy. 99% guest won’t even bother what’s on your wrist. Just wear something which will make you smile and glow while glancing at your wrist and believe me you will be glancing at your wrist a lot. It could be any watch you like.

sinsir

I'm Pretty Popular
7/3/11
A little late to the party. The 15400 works great as a dress watch. Traditionally it should be on a strap with a suit but works well on the bracelet too. It really is a dressy watch. Too much for casual for me.

Cartier Santos is a great dress watch. It follows the rules. No date, 2 hander, and on leather.

Another one I wear with a suit for a little fun but at home is a Franck Muller crazy hour.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Id like to start by saying to me thin is the key with dress watches. If it catches your cuff its annoying as hell. A lot have been covered but heres a few ive had over the years and a couple i want to get. Also as a warning i bloody love a tourbillon...

A.lange sohne

Pretty much the king of dress watches. Cant remember a single watch in the ad i wouldn’t of worn with a suit. But they are extremely complicated so the good reps, worth buying are few and far between. The mkf here is great value.

VFL6PG.jpg

https://www.intime04.co/a-lange-soh...rkers-sec6-on-black-leather-strap-a74789.html

If you like them more complicated the tourbillon is a great rep but hard to get these days.

VFL1gD.jpg

Ap

Cant say i think ap are really dress watches but they’re bloody good looking! Got to get them on the bracelet though, it makes the watch for me. Had the tourbillon at one point but its fairly close to a royal oak offshore in thickness so i had to get rid of it.

VFHHNK.jpg

VFHaKR.jpg

Breguet

As has been mentioned the 7057 is a sexy little thing. I had this tourbillon before, like the unique dial layout. There has also been a few recent releases by mkf on puretime that look to be a bit thinner (9mm) which could be worth considering

https://puretimewatch.io/classique-...al-on-brown-leather-strap-miyota-9015-v2.html

VFHADQ.jpg

Jlc

Jlc make a few nice dress watches. The master series with seconds at 6 as below is a nice choice. Also as has been mentioned the real moonphase is a great rep in terms of real function.

VFHdBL.jpg

Patek phillipe

Cant go wrong with a patek. The caltrava is great for the purists, very simple. For something a bit different see below. I like the nautilus on a leather strap, nice and thin. I also have the 5071 below, really nice watch with a great looking movement but depends if you can live with a chrono and a few extra mm in thickness, but it does wear well.

VFHXye.jpg

VFHL4d.jpg

Roger dubuis

I love roger dubuis. If you ever get a chance to go to an ad i highly recommend it. Some of the newer pieces are a bit strange but the Excalibur is my grail so i would be a bit biased. The single tourbillon by bbr is a great rep:

https://puretimewatch.io/excalibur-...-on-brown-leather-strap-a2136-tourbillon.html

At only 10mm its the thinnest rep tourbillon ive seen and wears great with a suit.

VFHtPZ.jpg

VFHmeA.jpg

If you’ve got the money and dont mind the thickness, first ever rep double tourbillon. Pretty cool.

https://puretimewatch.io/watch-bran...-white-dial-on-black-croco-leather-strap.html

Vacheron constantine

Again cant go far wrong with a vacheron constantine. The top one is very similar to the patek 5071 mentioned above. Middle is a new patrimony which is nice and thin. Bottom is a £250k gen i tried at the ad which is gorgeous!

VFHqU2.jpg

VFH3HT.png

VFHrYg.jpg

I guess it comes down to what you like. But definitely try to keep it thin if you can. Hope this is useful!

sn95

Renowned Member
29/7/18
A little late to the party. The 15400 works great as a dress watch. Traditionally it should be on a strap with a suit but works well on the bracelet too. It really is a dressy watch. Too much for casual for me.

Cartier Santos is a great dress watch. It follows the rules. No date, 2 hander, and on leather.

Another one I wear with a suit for a little fun but at home is a Franck Muller crazy hour.

Cartier is the way to go

WATCH HACKER

I'm Pretty Popular
MULTI ACCOUNT
24/4/19
Well all respect to every ones opinion but I believe you want a dress watch to go with the suit at your wedding. Correct me if I am wrong.

Just wear whatever makes you happy. 99% guest won’t even bother what’s on your wrist. Just wear something which will make you smile and glow while glancing at your wrist and believe me you will be glancing at your wrist a lot. It could be any watch you like.

Yes you're right, hehehe. I just want to know what other's will choose =)

Hehehe Ican't see myself wearing a Frank Muller, it looks so big and I'm not into that elongated design hehe.

Id like to start by saying to me thin is the key with dress watches. If it catches your cuff its annoying as hell. A lot have been covered but heres a few ive had over the years and a couple i want to get. Also as a warning i bloody love a tourbillon...

Thank you for your time and effort to list down the thoughts on your mind =) Such great choices =)