• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A2824-2 Movement Removal

forrestwhite

Known Member
1/10/09
Hi all -

I could really use some guidance by y’all experts out there.

I have an Omega 2254.50 (rep) with what I believe to be an A2824-2 movement.

I want to remove the movement so I can access under the crystal (as there’s dust in there).

I’ve successfully removed the crown, but the movement doesn’t want to drop out. Looking to get your thoughts on what I might be missing?

Here’s a shot of the movement:

4d3285452d62f6dd814240a3ec370fc9.jpg

Thanks for any help you can provide!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Well this is a new one on me, never seen a movement holder like this.

I always take the rotor off before doing anything else as it's just a nuisance and is always getting in the way.

Next I would remove the stem and the 2 screws connecting the movement to the movement holder. See if that allows the movement to come out. I suspect it will not, those screws are probably there to help keep the movement from rotating. The movement should have a strong friction fit with the holder since these 2 screws would not keep it from displacing toward the caseback.

Then I would see if the 4 screws holding the movement holder under the case lip are separate from the washer looking part under them. Or is the washer looking rim part of the screw head?

If the former is true, remove the screws and then extract the washers horizontally.

If the latter is true, it would appear that unscrewing the screws actually tightens the movement holder down. So you could try screwing the screws all down relieving the tension on the case lip and with the stem removed, see if the movement holder will rotate. If it will, rotate each screw head to the notch in the case lip at the tube and remove them all.

Be very gentle rotating the movement around in the case (pull the movement and holder away from the crystal as you rotate it or hold the watch face up) or the dial will be grinding on the rehaut lip.

I have no idea if this will work, just telling you how I would attack it having never seen this arrangement before. I have seen watches where you had to remove tbe crystal to get the movement out, hopefully this won't come to that.

forrestwhite

Known Member
1/10/09
Well this is a new one on me, never seen a movement holder like this.

I always take the rotor off before doing anything else as it's just a nuisance and is always getting in the way.

Next I would remove the stem and the 2 screws connecting the movement to the movement holder. See if that allows the movement to come out. I suspect it will not, those screws are probably there to help keep the movement from rotating. The movement should have a strong friction fit with the holder since these 2 screws would not keep it from displacing toward the caseback.

Then I would see if the 4 screws holding the movement holder under the case lip are separate from the washer looking part under them. Or is the washer looking rim part of the screw head?

If the former is true, remove the screws and then extract the washers horizontally.

If the latter is true, it would appear that unscrewing the screws actually tightens the movement holder down. So you could try screwing the screws all down relieving the tension on the case lip and with the stem removed, see if the movement holder will rotate. If it will, rotate each screw head to the notch in the case lip at the tube and remove them all.

Be very gentle rotating the movement around in the case (pull the movement and holder away from the crystal as you rotate it or hold the watch face up) or the dial will be grinding on the rehaut lip.

I have no idea if this will work, just telling you how I would attack it having never seen this arrangement before. I have seen watches where you had to remove tbe crystal to get the movement out, hopefully this won't come to that.

Thank you all! But particularly big thanks to KJ2020 for your detailed instructions. The trick was, as you described, to loosen the screws as much as possible to allow the dial to swivel and then rotate the movement so the screws were at the opening where the steps is and therefor could be removed. Many thanks!!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thank you all! But particularly big thanks to KJ2020 for your detailed instructions. The trick was, as you described, to loosen the screws as much as possible to allow the dial to swivel and then rotate the movement so the screws were at the opening where the steps is and therefor could be removed. Many thanks!!

You're welcome bro. We all learn from each others predicaments!

Reactions: forrestwhite