• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF Aquanaut 5167 black dial or JF Royal Oak 15400ST V5 what would you choose???

Lizandro

16/4/19
San Juan, Puerto Rico, USA
I got to choose one but to me is a very hard choice to make, so I need you're help to see what is preferable and what you guys gotta say about which one is better.

theREALgoat

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
14/8/14
The Aquanaut makes better for a daily beater, the Royal Oak is a lot more flashy and wears large and has a greater wrist presence. So it's really how you want to wear it.

Reactions: Lizandro

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17
Bought the RO 15400 early last year, after six months sold it to get the Aquanaut. The RO is beautiful to look at but you'll be afraid to scratch that gorgeus bracelet, the Aquanaut you'll actually wear everyday.

Downside (or upside, depending on what type of person you are) is that the RO gets noticed A LOT (received many compliments from watch and non-watch people) while the Aquanaut flies under the radar and will only get recognized by watch people.

Lizandro

16/4/19
Really know what you’re saying I have the ppf 5711 white dial and I when to a symphonic gala and during the interlude I got a lot of compliments the was so flashy it was crazy that it reflected the light in the room I felt like everyone was looking no at me at the Nautilus but because the PPF has a longer crown them the gen I was worried a watch guy would come at to me and noticed the crown but at end old went great the night and alot of great compliments.

Reidgrrr

Looking Around
11/5/19
Which one do you think is a better rep? I’m in love with both the 15400 v5 and the ZF 5167A but I do not know which one to go with. I’m aware that the AP V5 is the closest looking rep, but the thickness totally destroys that. I do like the way the 5167A looks better, though I am not knowledgeable about Patek. In your opinion, putting personal taste aside, which one is closest to gen? Also, where do you see the flaws in the 5167a? I do not know very much about it so I want to know what to keep my eyes out for! Thank you for your responses!

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17
Which one do you think is a better rep? I’m in love with both the 15400 v5 and the ZF 5167A but I do not know which one to go with. I’m aware that the AP V5 is the closest looking rep, but the thickness totally destroys that. I do like the way the 5167A looks better, though I am not knowledgeable about Patek. In your opinion, putting personal taste aside, which one is closest to gen? Also, where do you see the flaws in the 5167a? I do not know very much about it so I want to know what to keep my eyes out for! Thank you for your responses!

For me the ZF 5167a is the better rep hands down. It's super thin (it's 8.5 vs 8.3 of gen), has an amazing dial and even the movement decoration looks far better and more realistic. It also uses the Miyota 9015 but they managed to invert the regulator on the balance wheel so that it looks closer to gen. Also the quality of the rubber strap is great.

On the other side the RO 15400 is thicker (10.5 vs 9.8 of gen), has an obvious fake deco plate and the sharp edges of the bracelet are a dead giveaway.

Main problem on the first batch of the ZF 5167a was the date wheel which was left justified for same dates, but this was solved in later batches.

Reidgrrr

Looking Around
11/5/19
For me the ZF 5167a is the better rep hands down. It's super thin (it's 8.5 vs 8.3 of gen), has an amazing dial and even the movement decoration looks far better and more realistic. It also uses the Miyota 9015 but they managed to invert the regulator on the balance wheel so that it looks closer to gen. Also the quality of the rubber strap is great.

On the other side the RO 15400 is thicker (10.5 vs 9.8 of gen), has an obvious fake deco plate and the sharp edges of the bracelet are a dead giveaway.

Main problem on the first batch of the ZF 5167a was the date wheel which was left justified for same dates, but this was solved in later batches.

Also the lines extend past the 5 and the 1 which is not gen like. Apparently, the GEN is also 8.1mm not 8.3 like pure time and other td’s suggest. I am now leaning towards the KMF 5167a, it doesn’t have sun burst issues, bracelet is FAR BETTER, and it is thinner. The only issue presented to me now is the Absolutley tiny date wheel, although I’ve heard it is easy to replace. We will see!

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17
Also the lines extend past the 5 and the 1 which is not gen like. Apparently, the GEN is also 8.1mm not 8.3 like pure time and other td’s suggest. I am now leaning towards the KMF 5167a, it doesn’t have sun burst issues, bracelet is FAR BETTER, and it is thinner. The only issue presented to me now is the Absolutley tiny date wheel, although I’ve heard it is easy to replace. We will see!

Lines extending past 5 and 1 are indeed gen like, as several gens have been spotted online with this feature. Regarding thickness most reputable online dealers (e.g. Watchbox) have it at either 8.3 or 8.5. Finally the ZF has a far better sunburst effect than KMF. Rubber strap on ZF is great, well printed, and comfortable. I'll give you that the clasp of the KMF appears to better than the ZF.

Reidgrrr

Looking Around
11/5/19
Lines extending past 5 and 1 are indeed gen like, as several gens have been spotted online with this feature. Regarding thickness most reputable online dealers (e.g. Watchbox) have it at either 8.3 or 8.5. Finally the ZF has a far better sunburst effect than KMF. Rubber strap on ZF is great, well printed, and comfortable. I'll give you that the clasp of the KMF appears to better than the ZF.

According to Patek Philippe, it is 8.1mm. Do you have any images of a GEN with the lines extending past 1 and 5?

I will be in China in the upcoming weeks, so I will be meeting with some dealers. I will compare the gray KMF and ZF to really see what passes the most as GEN. For the KMF, although the sunburst may not be as good as KF, I feel like it won’t be that noticeable. I feel like the way to get the best possible watch is to buy KMF and mod it, that is my opinion.

Anyone that has pictures of either of these watches, please provide them that would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: Lizandro

Lizandro

16/4/19
I decided to go for the JF AP V5 white dial and happy with that choice but obviously I do want the aquanaut but I saw the confirmation for the green aquanaut 5168 but the factory the is producing it is still a given.

Swiss Maiden

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/9/19
I decided to go for the JF AP V5 white dial and happy with that choice but obviously I do want the aquanaut but I saw the confirmation for the green aquanaut 5168 but the factory the is producing it is still a given.

Post some pics bro!