• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Vacheron Overseas Over Lubricated

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
Ok, I bought a Vacheron Overseas from PureTime and it looked amazing. However, as noted by many some of the Miyota 9015 can be very noisy, others not. With this rep the movement was like a helicopter was landing when you walk and the inner mechanism spins around. I read all the forums and posts about the issue and how to fix it, so I bought some Mobius oil and a good set of watch tools and decided to take the plunge to fix it myself.

Needless to say, things were going fine until I got a little overzealous with the oil to say the least. Now the movement doesn't wind at all.....so it's incredibly quiet, mission accomplished! :p

Anyway, I took it to my local watch repair shop and he quoted me $850 to take the oil out. I paid $500 for the rep so no way can I justify spending $850 on a clean up. Another place quoted me $700. WTF it seems unreasonable to me these prices.

So I'm here posting about it so I can hopefully find someone that can clean the oil out for a whole lot cheaper. Or if anyone wants to buy a white dial VC Overseas for cheap I'll post it in the for sale section.

I am in the US, in the state of Virginia but I could ship anywhere in the US if someone has a guy that would do this for a more reasonable price. Not sure what's reasonable in the watch repair game but I wil thinking $100?

Appreciate any help!!

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
Yes I know I think they are insane asking $850 to do that.

sinsir

I'm Pretty Popular
7/3/11
Way way too high, I'd never go to either of those places again for anything. Plenty of people on here or call around for a service cost. I'm guessing those guys said the high cost because its s rep if you told them before the price quote. Another option is swap movements. They're cheap enough.

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
Can anyone recommend a member on this forum or a place I can send my watch to for cleaning the oil out?

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
Located in Virginia USA. I would not know how to put a new movement in the watch

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
Thanks freediver, but is BK a member here? Or a shop that could fix it?

danno7778

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
11/5/19
I would take it to another watchsmith, because those quotes are ridiculous. That's the price of a full gen service on a Rolex! It is not difficult for someone properly trained to clean and re-oil a quite basic movement such as a Miyota. Some of the guys who offer watch repair in the big malls may be able to help.

sinsir

I'm Pretty Popular
7/3/11
Don't bother with the malls. Those are battery swap guys and by the odd chance they do service it's farmed out. I'm guessing the quote is doing a full movement swap as he's assuming something else is wrong besides over oil. Still high but makes more sense.

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
I can't find anyone local to fix it for a reasonable price. I'm willing to ship it to someone but needs to be in US.

maxlex

Renowned Member
Supporter
27/12/15
The Netherlands
000f8ea9706733c61b029bb4e4fb2aac.jpg
here you are plm 80 dollars just swap the hands and done!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

sinsir

I'm Pretty Popular
7/3/11
Remove the movement, hands, dial, datewheel, rotor, crown, and stem. Reinstall. Also, Regulate, oil, check timegrapher, adjust, regrease the gaskets, and don't over oil this time around. A little goes a long way and be sure to use proper oils and grease for the job.