• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Help put a smile on a old man

Pete915

Horology Curious
30/4/19
My grandfather turns 80 next month and he’s never had much money all his life but it’s been his dream to own a Rolex.

A couple of months ago I bought my first Rep (Noob V5 116613) before I really started looking into Reps. I showed him it and his face lit up and he said to me I am very lucky to have it. It’s something he’s always wanted but never been able to afford. I didn’t have the heart to tell him it was a rep. But Iv decided to surprise him with his own for his 80th.
Iv been looking for a watch for him, at first I was just going to buy him a blue submariner like mine but he’s never been a flashy type of person, then I thought maybe a yacht master but again I feel like I am picking watches that I would wear and not a 80 year old. Maybe a Datejust or black sub?

Is there any older aged members on here that could help recommend a watch for him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pete915

Horology Curious
30/4/19
Get the ARF OP Grape 114300.

Get rid of the bracelet and put it on a brown ostrich leg strap.
Or: https://www.abpconcept.paris/collec...montre-alligator-crocodile-bordeaux-burgundee

Don’t be deceived by how the watch looks in pics. It’s absolutely breathtaking and classy in the flesh. Especially the leather strap changes it’s character.

Wearing mine right now.

Thanks for replying, I’m looking at the blue Datejust 41 smooth bezel. But the models Iv seen the blue doesn’t quite look right.

Spitfire63

Renowned Member
29/4/18
Thanks for replying, I’m looking at the blue Datejust 41 smooth bezel. But the models Iv seen the blue doesn’t quite look right.

I think that would be a great choice, not being funny but do you think your 80yr old grandad will be bothered if the blue is slightly off, he will be pleased to bits

Troklo

23/12/15
I would probably get him a Date Just or an Oyster Perpetual both super classy and not flashy at all.

Pete915

Horology Curious
30/4/19
I think that would be a great choice, not being funny but do you think your 80yr old grandad will be bothered if the blue is slightly off, he will be pleased to bits

Your probably right I don’t think he would to be fair. Iv messaged a TD and they have come back with some options for me one being a Datejust 41 and one being a Datejust II 41, now I can’t see any difference between them apart from the movement. I thought the Datejust 41 was the DJ II. Iv read some brilliant reviews of the noob version but I think maybe the ARF has a better strap?

Thanks for your help guys it’s much appreciated

maxlex

Renowned Member
Supporter
27/12/15
The Netherlands
I have another point of few
You tell us he has always dreamt of owing a Rolex
So he must have been looking in the Rolex shop windows looking at the models quite often
So mabey an idea to buy him a Vintage lets say a Daytona or Sub
I myself am quite old so I guess he would go for that
But who am I
Good luck

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Pete915

Horology Curious
30/4/19
I have another point of few
You tell us he has always dreamt of owing a Rolex
So he must have been looking in the Rolex shop windows looking at the models quite often
So mabey an idea to buy him a Vintage lets say a Daytona or Sub
I myself am quite old so I guess he would go for that
But who am I
Good luck

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I was originally thinking of a sub for him, he really liked mine but I can’t imagine him wearing a blue bimetal sub so i was just going for a black 116610 sub. If I had the money I would get him a gen but simply can’t afford it.

centrum

27/7/14
Yeah. I think vintage 80s Rolex would surprise him a lot, because he dreamed of having a Rolex when he was a lot younger.

danno7778

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
11/5/19
I would go with the Oyster Perpetual. It's low key, with its brushed bracelet, and has a good range of dial colours.

Redfoot

Banned
3/4/19
California
If you end up getting him a rep and not telling him it isn't gen just make sure he doesn't send it back to Rolex when it needs a service :D

Reactions: maxlex

KeepOnTrucking

Banned
13/5/19
East Coast
I'm sure he will love it, make sure you prepare him beforehand for a surprise, you don't want to make his heart skip a beat!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Big Baz

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/1/17
I'm with RedFoot ...

If I'm understanding correctly, I might guess that gifting a rep. watch without declaring the 'rep' bit , is fraught with risk.

Reps are a bit of fun but are a compromise in every sense of the word. Fake tells abound (right up to the highest grade reps) .... that's unlikely to bother an 80 year old casual observer. More troublesome might be the dodgy movements, poor time-keeping , hit and miss water resistance, bracelets that fall to bits and it just goes on.

It might work if the OP is willing and able to conduct a thorough QC check once they receive the rep. watch. They may end up with egg on the face though if the rep. watch fails soon after the old guy straps it on his wrist :(

If your budget can swing to circa $3k, I say skip reps for gifting and seek out a gen. vintage OP Date, Air King or similar. Just saying .

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Its very thoughtful of you! I enjoy gifting watches too but your case is specail! Get him a noob rose gold day-date 40mm with silver/white dial roman numerals. 41 could be a touch too large being his age he's used to a smaller size back in his time,

good luck on your hunt!