• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Creating my own luxury watch. Where do I start?

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought about it, but I couldn't find a lot of useful threads about making a luxury watch.
I have an idea for a design and I want to make a real working luxury watch (high end materials and movement, high quality quality build, etc).
I know that from costs perspective I better buy me a nice gen of some kind, but I want something of my own.
My design is simple in terms of movement complications, just time and day/night indicator.
So where do I start?
In what format / software I need to create the model?
Where I can make a one time case, dial, hands, etc?
Where I can buy and modify a movement?

Reactions: VIV54

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
I really like your spirit.

i 'm not a watch maker so here are some thoughts;

On a piece of paper define everything about, why, what, how, measures, sketches, details etc.
Study the available movement complications from hq factories and choose the one that can support your needs.
Bazed on its' measures design your dial and hands in 2D software.
Same for case, bezel, back, crown in a plain 3D software this time.

(At this point we have to share that a "design" is not an one way path based on designer demands, is a continuous forth and back procedure
that need the basic machinery and watchsmith knowledge to be achieved. There are more than the pinions possitions on the movement.
How you get what you need in accomondation with the use that you like to have is a path that can drive you to your "special" features in the hart of your watch.)

When you have cover the above tasks you can search your local machinery shops to create the parts you need. Don't forget to make them compatible with saphire
crystals that you can source.

If you like to decorate your movement it's also the right time.

As you can see, you have to be a designer, a machinist and a watchsmith to run such an enormous (and beautiful) task.
If you manage to cover those three not forget; you did that to express your personal quality - culture and this is the 50% of "WHY"
in this project. If you achieve to express your culture throught this project, your watch will earn the "HQ" title instead of just "luxury".

Eat well, sleep enough :D

sinsir

I'm Pretty Popular
7/3/11
I wouldn't really consider this a one off thing to make it entirely from scratch even with know how and tools. Check out google for more answers. Now assembling a watch that is unique is another story.

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
you should have a work shop with watchsmeth tools

Yes, I've already in contact with two independent watch makers to evaluate costs and EE. If someone here has done it in the past, I would love to learn from their experience.

I wouldn't really consider this a one off thing to make it entirely from scratch even with know how and tools. Check out google for more answers. Now assembling a watch that is unique is another story.

Can you elaborate the difference that you do between creating a watch and assembling a watch. I'm not going to build a new movement, but i'm going to modify it a bit and create everything else from scratch (case, hands, dial, etc).

Thank you guys!

DaleM

I'm Pretty Popular
25/8/18
Central Florida
Something that stands out. If I had the skills I would try some new things with the wheels. Friction materials instead of teeth or make a pulley system to move the internals. The pulley threads could be made of carbon fiber or other durable materials.

Ultra-High Molecular Weight Polyethylene, a lightweight material that provides a higher degree of protection than Kevlar and Twaron.

A lot.of those materials can have colors.added and has the potential for each wheel having a unique pattern or the ability to digitally printing. Again, what makes your watch unique and cutting edge while respecting the art of watch making.

Reactions: csthe