• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What I don't understand about the rep industry illegal status

Cheeps

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Patron
Certified
24/11/18
Gen brands companies don’t care about rep market as they know rep market is NOT competing with themes because they know that at least 95% of people buying gen will not buy rep, but if you but a rep buyer could buy a gen.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but wtf?

Reps are literally destroying the sales of many many luxurious brands, not only watches but also clothes. How would that not compete with the gen market? I do own for example a superfranken Daytona, I could afford the gen one, but why would I. Why would I deal with a shitty waitlist or pay a ~20% premium to get it from somewhere else than the AD, when I can just franken my watch so much that it looks real for half of the AD price?

Additionally, if reps are getting better and better, why would I not do something smart with the money (invest it) while still living a nice lifestyle?

nyriyadh

Known Member
9/4/12
I don't think that is 100% correct. I for example, spend over 8K$ a year on reps, I could buy a nice gen once a year (or two) with the same money. But I have the alternative to buy and try multiple watches and styles for the same amount using reps...

That’s what I’m saying
On the other hand, frequent gen buyers mostly will NOT buy a rep even win reps is 1:1 to gen.

Sent from the RWI App

nyriyadh

Known Member
9/4/12
I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but wtf?

Reps are literally destroying the sales of many many luxurious brands, not only watches but also clothes. How would that not compete with the gen market? I do own for example a superfranken Daytona, I could afford the gen one, but why would I. Why would I deal with a shitty waitlist or pay a ~20% premium to get it from somewhere else than the AD, when I can just franken my watch so much that it looks real for half of the AD price?

Additionally, if reps are getting better and better, why would I not do something smart with the money (invest it) while still living a nice lifestyle?

many people can but slot of things...
I for example have the money to buy a Rolls Royce BUT i will not for the same reason you don’t but the Daytona

The value of money differs from person to another.. so as less much money you have as more important money value will be for you and the vice verse.

win I or you will have 10s of millions we will not buy smart, we will buy what we like what ever the price is.

Sent from the RWI App

Last edited:
Reactions: csthe

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
TDs charging 50%-100% fee on reps to cover their cost of doing (illegal) business.

Ah, you do realise that is the normal retail markup for almost anything, yes? Everything I sell in my day to day business is at 80 to 150 percent over wholesale.

hey want to stop all IP violations in China because they understand that for the long term it will hurt them.

LOL, no they don't. They just want to be seen to be doing so. Big difference.

China can not afford to stop IP violations, 90% of goods made in china violate someone's IP rights. For example every small petrol engine on every pump, genset, mower or whatever violates the IP of either Brigs & Stratton or Honda. Every chainsaw almost without exception is a copy of a Stihl and the list goes on and on ad infinitum. Their shipbuilding infringes patents, tractors, cars, electronics almost every damn thing. If they stopped all this industry would collapse overnight. China doesn't give a rats ass beyond image which is why they have a crackdown every now and again. Individual raids are usually because someone forgot that months brown paper bag or screwed someone's sister and dumped her.

Thing is when they do crack down the penalties can be quite high, for example several people from a maker of fake bags were put up against a wall and shot a couple of years ago. Guess they didn't make the right payments to the right people . . .

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
Ah, you do realise that is the normal retail markup for almost anything, yes? Everything I sell in my day to day business is at 80 to 150 percent over wholesale.

LOL, no they don't. They just want to be seen to be doing so. Big difference.

China can not afford to stop IP violations, 90% of goods made in china violate someone's IP rights. For example every small petrol engine on every pump, genset, mower or whatever violates the IP of either Brigs & Stratton or Honda. Every chainsaw almost without exception is a copy of a Stihl and the list goes on and on ad infinitum. Their shipbuilding infringes patents, tractors, cars, electronics almost every damn thing. If they stopped all this industry would collapse overnight. China doesn't give a rats ass beyond image which is why they have a crackdown every now and again. Individual raids are usually because someone forgot that months brown paper bag or screwed someone's sister and dumped her.

Thing is when they do crack down the penalties can be quite high, for example several people from a maker of fake bags were put up against a wall and shot a couple of years ago. Guess they didn't make the right payments to the right people . . .

So it is all just for a show?

charmandad

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/2/19
I dont think that reps should be listed together with drugs sort of stuff. Inmost countries if you are found buying a rep you won't be fined or sent to jail.

efajri

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
I dont think that reps should be listed together with drugs sort of stuff. Inmost countries if you are found buying a rep you won't be fined or sent to jail.

I agree, but here in USA almost every illegal thing is purposely connected to terrorism and/or drug cartel by the government. Renting a pussay for an hour can be accused of supporting terrorism.

Reactions: csthe

centrum

27/7/14
Reason why the rep watches are still widely available on the Internet:
Because the Chinese government is letting them to do so in order to bring foreign currency from overseas and help the Chinese people get economically stable.

Guys, I hope you all know what you are participating into when you are enjoying this hobby. For me, it is a guilty pleasure to buy rep watches, because I am supporting the Chinese government with my own money. This is why I am trying to stack up on reps that I want and hopefully get out of the game.. The rep watch game is more addictive than smoking pot.

Reactions: OldNavitimer

13stepper

10/3/19
You’re assuming that every buyer of a rep could buy the gen.

I bet 99% of rep consumers can’t afford a gen so what’s the point in going after the factories.

The rep manufactures aren’t taking much business away when the consumers aren’t and probably never will be gen consumers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ecal

MULTI ACCOUNT
13/4/13
I have a question. When a TD factory/website gets raided, do the authority get access to buyer's details like CC info and delivery address? Will the Chinese authority release/share these info with my local/country authority?

josmcg

13/3/18
Gen brands companies don’t care about rep market as they know rep market is NOT competing with themes because they know that at least 95% of people buying gen will not buy rep, but if you but a rep buyer could buy a gen.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

They absolutely do care about the rep industry. Rolex only wants their watches being worn. They are a status symbol and that status disappears when people look at a guys watch and aren’t sure it is what it appears to be. Aka a rep. Wearing a gold day date to an event attracts attention. Not so much when several of you have them. The rest all being reps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

k04s4

3/4/11
The gen companies are going to care more about the rep world now then they did in the past since the watches are much closer, like repped movements. So many pieces are close enough to fool dealers (on the wrist at least) besides the Pam 111. Rolex didn't care as much when the canal street pieces were spelled wrong and just made everyone want the gen more. It was more advertising than anything. When you can't tell why buy the gen, that's why Richard Mille isn't as worried since his pieces are insane complex the reps would cost $5k if even possible.

Illegal activity is allowed or ignored depending on how much people are paid off. The cartels have a saying plata or plomo (silver or lead) and in most countries, most take the silver. Places that have high taxes tend to care more about the rep watch world since they see the missing revenue from the sales of a 10 or 15k Euro piece. Any illegal activity could fund terror since you could be selling reps on eBay to fund your terror activities. Drugs pass on the largest payoff since a kilo costs hundreds in the jungle and worth $100k cut on the street. I heard once it's like selling a bic pen for a $1000.00 you have plenty to pay off enough people along the way, Police, Customs, Judges and various political officials. The arms trade gives up the governments control over the people, every country in history who has had gun confiscation also has either had a genocide or Repressive Regimes or both.

The TD are going to be allowed to operate until all reps are really 100% 1:1 in my opinion.

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
Td may not experience much danger of being shot but legal fees can still be significant. Or even the prospect of losing all their stock or investment in the business.

I think it is more along the lines of white collar crime vs gangs. You can't compare Marth Stuart to the bloods and crips.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
I have a question. When a TD factory/website gets raided, do the authority get access to buyer's details like CC info and delivery address? Will the Chinese authority release/share these info with my local/country authority?
Considering the tds really never get my info (other than address) there isn't much chance for them to get it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

VitZan

Known Member
23/4/19
Italy
This is why I am trying to stack up on reps that I want and hopefully get out of the game.. The rep watch game is more addictive than smoking pot.

Well said.
Detox is the key.

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

Wstn33

5/7/22
United States
And its a BIG different in drugs/weapons vs replica watches.. haha come on brother.. :)

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
100% correct... if I may add, replica watches do not harm communities and neighborhoods like drugs (and weapons) do. A watch, no matter the brand (but especially Rolex and other high ends) is simply vanity and status that feeds people's EGOS, nothing more.