• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A newbie - A question regarding the rotation of your collection

DNAMCS

Horology Curious
21/10/18
Hey everyone,

I joined some time ago and have spent weeks reading through data, reviews, purchase stories and can say this is an extremely interesting hobby.

I was wondering how many of you have gens in your collection and if you do, ho often are you rotating your pieces and do you find that by owning a gen it takes away from the suspicion of your rep pieces ?

Cheers & Be Well !

Essray

Renowned Member
22/5/16
Wisconsin USA
I have both gens, obnoxious high dollar reps and avg priced reps. I’m of three minds.

1. You have gens. Only wear gens and marvel at the original design and engineering that created them.
2. You have great reps. Ditch the gens and save tons of cash. The retro engineering that took place to replicate high dollar watches is a thing of beauty.
3. Enjoy both and feel confident because variety is the spice of life.

I honestly wear my reps more often. And it is situation specific. I know it doesn’t help your question. But I know I’m not the only one who flips and flops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DNAMCS

Horology Curious
21/10/18
Thanks Essray ! I originally joined this forum as I was in the process of considering a lifetime milestone of buying my very first Rolex and as a highly pragmatic individual I wanted to determine if buying a rep would be the same. I think the short answer after combing through tonnes of data in this forum is no.. its not. So, I finally got to pull the trigger this year and placed my order from an AD and I am awaiting delivery of my Gen 126600 ( ETA is approx April - May time frame).

I am thinking to add a few reps to my rotation.. because I feel that my Gen is the centerpiece of my collection and the others are simply to compliment. I wanted to garner others opinions... I am also curious if the hobbyists within RWI attest to a rep being a rep when they are questioned.. or do they contest because the average individual or non horology enthusiast would be hard pressed to detect otherwise.

Cheers & Be Well !

zeb358

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/1/19
I have Gen's but would not feel comfortable spending say over £5k on a single piece, hence when a super franken rep would satisfy me just as much. For example, I recently bought a super franken Rolex GMT master 16700 which in its Gen form is currently around £8-10k! My franken version has all gen parts save for the movement and case and I still feel I am having a very similar experience as if I were to wear the full on Gen of this example. Also, I recently acquired the Tudor BlackBerry 58 for which I've been wanting the Gen version and been on the damn AD waiting list for the last 6 months. Life's too short...so I went ahead and got the rep for a fraction of the price of a gen. And I'm probably achieving around 80% of the experience if I had the same thing as a gen on my wrist! So I appreciate both channels to obtain watches I like and don't have a problem owning both Gen's and reps. Right now I've got 5 Gen's vs 5 reps of which one is a super franken a franken a modded one and two straight up reps as is.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk