• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Help: Legal concerns relating watchmaker

Frederic Chopin

Known Member
4/8/18
Hey guys,
I‘ve been on this forum since August 2018, and I already got a pretty decent collection: a Noob 41 Datejust, a noob v7 sub ln and a hulk v5.
Neither the Datejust nor the V7 are serviced and I‘m thinking of doing a servicing.

I found a very skilled watchmaker in my city and he seems to know what he does.
But I‘m scared of the following situation:
Let‘s say the watchsmith says that he‘s ok with working on a rep and I‘d give it to him.
But let‘s say I‘d head back a couple of days later and he wouldn’t hand it out, bc it is an illegal good.

Could it theoretically be that he begins to start legal action? Or wouldn’t the police mind me having a rep, because I already bought it.

Thanks

Cicero

RWI Legal Advisor
Global Moderator
Certified
12/3/15
Hey guys,
I‘ve been on this forum since August 2018, and I already got a pretty decent collection: a Noob 41 Datejust, a noob v7 sub ln and a hulk v5.
Neither the Datejust nor the V7 are serviced and I‘m thinking of doing a servicing.

I found a very skilled watchmaker in my city and he seems to know what he does.
But I‘m scared of the following situation:
Let‘s say the watchsmith says that he‘s ok with working on a rep and I‘d give it to him.
But let‘s say I‘d head back a couple of days later and he wouldn’t hand it out, bc it is an illegal good.

Could it theoretically be that he begins to start legal action? Or wouldn’t the police mind me having a rep, because I already bought it.

Thanks

You are overthinking this. I’m not sure what the law is in Austria (your location) but I don’t think your watchsmith will have any interest in confiscating your watch or reporting you to authorities. As previously suggested, he just wants to make some money and I imagine you will not pay him until the work is complete. If he is uncomfortable working on a rep he will let you know up front.

efajri

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
You can always say that your awesome Asian friend gave you the watch when he visited you. It is rude to reject a gift.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: nalomb

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
He could report you to your local police or moral enforcement department and have you questioned, arrested or deported, all depending on where you reside and what your residency status is.

Or he could threaten all the above and keep the piece for himself.

Or, more realistically, a bunch of parts will break while dis-assembling, and you will have a nice bill for replacement parts and long wait till you get it back after service, and the watch will not be working any better than before.