• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The attack of the SuperFakes

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
For anybody who may be tempted to click and read - an example of the nonsense awaits you:

"Fakers make these pieces for pennies and can sell them for thousands, often duping first-time collectors and experienced resellers with their high-quality creations".

applestooranges

Known Member
18/7/18
I find it crazy how reputable watch sites still claim that the replica industry make use of child labour and whatnot. And if the fakers can really make these super reps for pennies, the real brands should start taking notes!

Reactions: nomana

efajri

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
I’d rather spend $12k on 24-30 good reps than 1-2 gens.

The most ridiculous claim I’ve heard about rep industry is that it is run by terrorists. Buying a rep = Funding terrorism. Yeah right...

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: johnlogan

Rush

I'm Pretty Popular
29/5/16
CONUS
I seriously doubt that these watchsmiths are leaving their industry because of high end reps. That's probably the author's point of view.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
GENs are nice, but REPs are unequivocally fun! My heart bleeds for the mega corporations with their reduced CMs. while I save 10% paying with Bitcoins.

Reactions: Rush and Mr Gatsby

SeabassofTerror

Looking Around
12/9/17
I have thought about this topic a lot and came to the conclusion, that what these think pieces are missing is that just like gen buyers, rep buyers can be categorized by mindset. Which is apparent in rep level choice.

Dhgate/canal st Buying it as a joke or novalty, or low income + low intelligence. First case the buyer knows it's not a replacement for a gen, and therefore wont effect a future decision to buy one, second is very unlikely to buy gen due to a lack of income potential or general lack of understanding value.

Regmariner/late model noob On a budget but understands value, cant fund a noob V9 904l but researches the best quality they can fund, or is test driving to buy a gen, either way I would say this demographic is the most likely to end up buying a gen at some point. Possessing a good understanding of value/quality and enough of an interest to do the legwork and research at this level will probably lead to the financial ability down the road.

Super rep >500
Individuals at this level have done so much research into reps that they have cultivated a deep value/quality understanding and either already own a gen, have decided to buy a gen, or inversely come to the conclusion that reps of this caliber are equivalent enough to gen to not warrant the excess expenditure,

In all of this, I think the mid tier are the only individuals being heavily influenced by reps, and I would hazard a guess that it is 50/50 encouraging/discouraging them to buy a gen.

Sent from the RWI App

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
I have thought about this topic a lot and came to the conclusion, that what these think pieces are missing is that just like gen buyers, rep buyers can be categorized by mindset. Which is apparent in rep level choice.

Dhgate/canal st Buying it as a joke or novalty, or low income + low intelligence. First case the buyer knows it's not a replacement for a gen, and therefore wont effect a future decision to buy one, second is very unlikely to buy gen due to a lack of income potential or general lack of understanding value.

Regmariner/late model noob On a budget but understands value, cant fund a noob V9 904l but researches the best quality they can fund, or is test driving to buy a gen, either way I would say this demographic is the most likely to end up buying a gen at some point. Possessing a good understanding of value/quality and enough of an interest to do the legwork and research at this level will probably lead to the financial ability down the road.

Super rep >500
Individuals at this level have done so much research into reps that they have cultivated a deep value/quality understanding and either already own a gen, have decided to buy a gen, or inversely come to the conclusion that reps of this caliber are equivalent enough to gen to not warrant the excess expenditure,

In all of this, I think the mid tier are the only individuals being heavily influenced by reps, and I would hazard a guess that it is 50/50 encouraging/discouraging them to buy a gen.

Sent from the RWI App

You're generalising, and that's never a good thing - it's like saying all members called Seabassofterror are guilty of generalising, when we all know perfectly well that's not true.

Copterguy

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
14/3/17
Florida
Like, people who buy cubic zerconia jewelry as opposed to "Real" diamonds aren't gonna effect debeers either..I didn't bother reading the article either, but as summarized, waste of a read. The rep Industry makes us watch lovers happy I can sport a whole bunch of cool watches that I'll never find under the Christmas tree.

tkingjr

Watches & woodworking
Gold Patron
Certified
7/4/16
Northeast USA and Shenzhen, China
I agree with @johnlogan I have bought Breitling Gens for 30 years. Since I joined RWI I have more fun trying to buy the best quality Rep I can find. None of the Reps I buy are made for pennies. I have an H factory Super Avenger and a Gen of the exact same watch. I have to look at the serial number to tell which is my Gen.

Copterguy

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
14/3/17
Florida
I agree with @johnlogan I have bought Breitling Gens for 30 years. Since I joined RWI I have more fun trying to buy the best quality Rep I can find. None of the Reps I buy are made for pennies. I have an H factory Super Avenger and a Gen of the exact same watch. I have to look at the serial number to tell which is my Gen.

Same here! I'll keep my 2 Gen Breitlings for ever! All the others, Hamilton, Tissot etc I've got rid of. Reps you can swap them out until you find that one to get gen that will pass down to my next of kin.... For me anywayz

rj999

I'm Pretty Popular
20/10/13
UK
"watchmakers are slowly leaving the field, disheartened by consumers"
Erm, nothing to do with phones providing 100% accurate time continuously then? Watches are now, essentially, jewellery. I personally have no problem with that but it is probably not a majority view across the world.

Reactions: leo6929

WC800729

Known Member
Gold Patron
Certified
23/11/18
USA
"watchmakers are slowly leaving the field, disheartened by consumers"
Erm, nothing to do with phones providing 100% accurate time continuously then? Watches are now, essentially, jewellery.

Excellent point. Every single person is walking around with their heads down, eyes glued to their smart phone. There is a huge segment of the population, at least in the US that have never owned a watch, and most likely won’t until it becomes a social necessity. Meaning, way up the social ladder in their careers. I know many people in their 30’s who still do not and never have owned a watch. Watches have always played two functions, both utilitarian and as a symbol of status and quality of taste (that’s actually 3, but status and good tastes, in some other dimension are in parallel).

People are much more inclined to easily dole out $1,000.00+ for a new iPhone than ever consider purchasing a watch of any value. In addition there are loads of inexpensive functional quartz movement watches people purchase if they do need a watch on their wrist.

It has, in many respects become only jewelry that has a functional aspect to it. Most young people that do wear a watch, use it as a statement of their “independence’s”, as they do with a specific tattoo, which actually is the polar opposite of that individualism they were advertising. Others like myself use it as a functional tool and jewelry, and at least for myself, a statement of my understanding of quality design, reflected my profession as an architect.

I’m from a different generation that grew up with a watch on our wrist since we were kids. I have never worn a ring or any type of jewelry, but have always had a watch on my wrist. It is only human nature I would continue with that habit. Working my way up the ladder of quality watches.

So in my mind it is absolutely understandable that the higher end watch market will suffer. Do you think a 20 something year old person in a professional career wants to flash the next level in time keeping on their wrist while using an iPhone 4? I don’t think so.

We live in a time completely different than say 20, 30, or 50 years ago. We now have access to all the materialistic things our hearts desire on a monthly payment plan. This also diminishes the market share for luxury watches. I could break down my concept of the economics and market share further, but this post is already WAY TOO LONG!!!!! I won’t even go into the valid rationalization of rep’s vs gen’s and dollar value!

Just my observations and opinions on watches and society.
I’m not God, so I could be wrong.

Reactions: Rush and rj999

Wrestleantares

Known Member
19/9/18
Another thing - the internet has really opened up the market for microbrands. I know about tons more brands and have bought several affordables that I never would have even known about were it not for the internet.

WC800729

Known Member
Gold Patron
Certified
23/11/18
USA
Yes, I have seen some beautiful designs from microbrands. I had recently been on a site, where you could final all styles which were amazing looking and inexpensive.

Reactions: Animo Felonico

924er

Known Member
28/12/16
Or u can shake em and see which one has a loud rotor lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: BD_O