• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Anyone Stopped by cops or airport security for wearing a rep?

ViperGTS

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
1/1/10
never been stopped, never had an issue...have been complimented a few times.

taximan31

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/5/16
Sounds like your watchmaker went overboard on the tritium lume. I'd get your junk checked out too if you keep your hands in your pockets.

Serious. True story. On close examination it was the stainless steel case that was showing readings high enough to set of the belt detectors.

Sent from the RWI App

PlastikMan

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
3/8/17
I got stopped last month at Gatwick airport... 3 supervisors came close to me and were discussing something on the screen.... I was called to the side into a room for questioning and waited 15 min starring at a white wall....
A guy comes in and asks me whether I’ve been to the beach... I said that if he’d let me go that I would actually go to a beach yes. Travelling to Thailand...
He didn’t find it funny and left the room...
15 min after another guys walks in and asked whether I have been in contact with chemicals.... I said sorry sir but you ought to be more specific I mean chemicals? Sure I usually use them to clean the house when my wife is upset.

after close inspection, turns out my canal street Daytona detected chemicals used for bombs at their sensors. Never buy from a non-TD

Michael1988

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/2/17
i cant tell what is real and what is BS in this thread, but I've never removed my watch when moving through airport security.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
i cant tell what is real and what is BS in this thread, but I've never removed my watch when moving through airport security.

LoL. Bottom line is don't be stupid and don't try and bring a couple dozen watches with you. What on your wrist and one or two in the Carry on bag and no one will question you as that would be considered common than normal. taking dozens and hiding them in random places throughout your luggage would be cause for alarm and put you on their radar, not because they would know they're replicas but just because something is very suspicious and off. if you're really worried you can always register the serial number and model watch with your customs office at the airport before you leave your country then you would have record of what you had before you left. and to answer the question before someone asks, no customs would not run the serial number and verify if it's real or fake. They could care less about it. The paperwork is filed with the other thousands of pieces of paper they get every day and you'll get your copy which is your proof that you had them before you left you're not trying to import them. Same as advised for you to do for any other expensive item when traveling overseas.

Rolemars

Renowned Member
13/1/19
EU
I had a good laugh reading this topic. :D At the same time, got a bit scared for high end reps, some people seem to be actually be in trouble.
As for me, I traveled with a ridiculously cheap fake submariner (20 USD) and no one ever stopped me. Just took it off along with belt, jacket etc and it went through the carpet as usual. No one bat an eyelid.

Toscana

I'm Pretty Popular
Gold Patron
Certified
27/8/16
A friend of mine have some problem weeks ago in casablanca Marocco airport . He was wearing a rose gold hublot rep.
He solve pay some euro to custom Police.

Inviato dal mio SM-N950F utilizzando Tapatalk

alessandri

I'm Pretty Popular
28/10/15
A friend of mine have some problem weeks ago in casablanca Marocco airport . He was wearing a rose gold hublot rep.
He solve pay some euro to custom Police.

My right ankle showed something on the body scanner in Germany. Landed in DC, for a layover. Same ankle showed something on the body scanner departing DC. I commented to the TSA lady that this was the second time my ankle had been flagged by the scanner. She leaned really close to me and whispered, “we don’t really trust these machines.” She patted my ankle and said have a nice flight.
I cannot imagine any airline security giving a fuck what watch you are wearing.

Less

30/9/18
DE
Hmm, people are making fun of this question but I think it is legit.

My parents used to bring me one or two watches from Shenzhen from time to time. The thing is that it is actually the other way around. Custom officers may think it is a real one so they can charge you import fee.

Once my parents brought me a AAA Sea Dweller. My mom told me that they spend some time inspecting it and that they weren't sure. After my mom told them that a Gen would never be this rough blabla (my mom thinks she can feel reps...) they let it go.

See, because of their (custom) unawareness it can be more expensive than expected. I simply wouldn't risk it or having/knowing proof that it is a rep.

Toscana

I'm Pretty Popular
Gold Patron
Certified
27/8/16
Its a serious risk that frequent flyer has,
Security control in a airport means also custom control and until they not have interested in counterfelt items all go with green but situation can change. Se hope no but the risk is heavy.
Until now in italy you can t have this type of problem. Custom office in airport looking only for not declare cash money, especially in Rome and Bologna and Florence airport ( mi weekly esperience)

Seefeld

Proud supporter
Supporter
Certified
22/10/18
A very closed friend has been arrested for a fake montblanc (it was a present, he even didn't know it wasn't genuine), his lawyer informed him that he had a lot of cases of people with rep watches caught at the airports and also that there are special corps trained to find reps.