• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Which watches are actually worth buying in genuine?

Repwatcher01

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/8/18
Rolex Datejust 41 is still worth buying in gen as there really isn't a convincing rep out there.

Also, most skeletons. There are very few convincing rep skeletons. I'm looking at getting a Heuer 01, as I'm pretty confident since they never nailed the hbb unico that the gen Heuer 01 is rep proof.

And there are some very nice sub $2k gems out there from Citizen, seiko, victorinox, junghans etc that will never be rep'd but are totally worth owning.

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/7/11
Most Rolex's. Too many flaws on all the current reps.

evilpenguin

I'm Pretty Popular
17/2/15
Bb blue eta. The Gen is pretty cheap and the rep is awful.

3e264de03a9f23e2055eaf4a10a39639.jpg

8373adf40c65d23c11efb0a83e20a67e.jpg

DeCrow

Known Member
6/9/16
If
(a) I like a replica
(b) It doesn't cost too much (I think many are expensive for something that basically has no market value)
(c) The difference in price with the gen is larger than, say 3,000 EUR
it is worth buying it for me

mui.richard

Renowned Member
16/10/14
Any Grand Seiko or sports model Rolex.

Grand Seiko because no rep will ever touch the gen in finishing and workmanship.
Any Rolex sports model because you can almost sell it for what you paid for after enjoying it for a few years.
485cbf26fac618387f8d468efc38ec70.jpg
01f2cff307b6c28c2b2fc4e89004ac41.jpg
e52baea351e220fa53bcc69b22e72b9a.jpg

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk

JoeyT

11/8/14
Ok personally I would only buy genuine precious metal Rolex models and that's simply because there are no well known solid gold reps. seems like Rolex quality recently and some of the high end replicas are getting closer now in terms of quality and aesthetics then they have ever been. the gap is narrow and unless buying for investment purposes, I don't exactly see the advantage of paying the premium.

vcappp

I'm Pretty Popular
20/6/18
BVLGARI OCTO Finissimo Automatic.

5.5mm thick watch. impossible to be replicated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deathminder

21/11/17
Germany
IMHO Rolex is only worth buying rep at this point. The new repped movements seal the deal. Rolex is no longer the only manufacturer of Rolex watches.

Panerai is also NWBIG. Just check the super rep list. It's mostly PAM.

​​​​​​Very hard for rep factories to match the ultra fine finishes of Patek, the super complicated RMs, the thinness of Patek or AP.

On the other hand at this point we're talking some serious coin, especially for something like a RM or a super complication patek. You might run into someone with a gen AP, probably not a gen Patel, and most definitely not a gen RM.

And what about the skydweller ?
I dont think they will be able to replicate the movement functions in the near futute

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
Seems like we fall in our own "trap". What is repped or what can't be repped etc..

We need to define the "values" to define what it is "worth". What are we talk about?
Are we talking about saving money?
Are we talking about robustness?
Are we talking about design and what makes us feel better?
Are we talking about what we think that other people appreciates?

As you can see there are a lot of parameters that we need to define, other way we will just talking expressing each other taste perpetually...

Since i don't want to break your balls, concerning myself, what makes me feel happy and doesn't exist in rep, this time of my life
i will bought Alexander's Shorokhoff, Visitor, Denissov, Meccaniche Veneziane.

Reactions: mech500

Nivka

10/4/15
Australia
116610LN

i know noob and ARF make excellent reps, but for a model I know so well, the slightest imperfections leave me dissatisfied. I have owned a few super reps (Tc v7x, pam111, bk v7, franken 116234) and none of them come anywhere close to the fit, finish or attention to detail of my R factory sub. When I wear it, I stop throughout the day and am arrested multiple times just for a fraction of a moment when I catch a glimpse of the black hole, the bevel on the cyclops, the embossed date font, the perfectly aligned dwo from 1-31, the perfect uniformly recessed sel, the radiance and uniformity of the platinum insert engravings in any light, the butter when I adjust the glide lock, the perfect thread when I unscrew the crown, wind the movement, unlock or secure the clasp, the 3D hands, the shine of the hour marker surround, the crispness of the dial print, the sharp precision of the hands, the intensity of the lume, the polish of the rehaut, the laser engraved matrix, the flare and angle of the lugs, the clarity of the crystal, the angle of the CG, etc.

NWBIG? Depends on your perspective

Reactions: Drifter

RepJelly

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/7/18
116610LN

i know noob and ARF make excellent reps, but for a model I know so well, the slightest imperfections leave me dissatisfied. I have owned a few super reps (Tc v7x, pam111, bk v7, franken 116234) and none of them come anywhere close to the fit, finish or attention to detail of my R factory sub. When I wear it, I stop throughout the day and am arrested multiple times just for a fraction of a moment when I catch a glimpse of the black hole, the bevel on the cyclops, the embossed date font, the perfectly aligned dwo from 1-31, the perfect uniformly recessed sel, the radiance and uniformity of the platinum insert engravings in any light, the butter when I adjust the glide lock, the perfect thread when I unscrew the crown, wind the movement, unlock or secure the clasp, the 3D hands, the shine of the hour marker surround, the crispness of the dial print, the sharp precision of the hands, the intensity of the lume, the polish of the rehaut, the laser engraved matrix, the flare and angle of the lugs, the clarity of the crystal, the angle of the CG, etc.

NWBIG? Depends on your perspective

Yeah that's nice and all but is it worth an $8500 premium over the rep? Not to me.

I'd rather have an AP or a Patek gen. I have two AP ROO 42mm reps. While very nice, they are not even close to the fit, finish, or, most importantly, THINNESS of the Gen. Don't even get me started on the pretend complications in the Patek reps or the 40% more thickness of the Royal Oak. This Noob 4130 Daytona I have on my wrist... yeah, completely NWBIG.

lezec

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/4/18
Sydney
Breitling have very nice designs but the problem for me is the sizes (enormous) on my skinny wrist.

Tusubasa

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
8/9/18
U.K.
Breitling have very nice designs but the problem for me is the sizes (enormous) on my skinny wrist.

I agreement. Especially the Emergency 2. I bet that they regret making it super big.

How much is the list price for Emergency 2 by the way? How much discount do they do for it?

lezec

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/4/18
Sydney
I bought Speedmaster professional and realised that is too big for my wrist so I bought Speedmaster reduced and feel like they are slightly small but much more comfortable on the 6.5inch wrist.
I still prefer 40mm subs. Perfect fit.

old_man

Renowned Member
23/2/14
Below 10k USD, I would say all Grand Seikos and Rolex.

Grand Seiko is impossible to be repped, because the main selling point is polishing, and that’s what rep will never achieve.

Rolex...it really depends on your tolerance of flaws. I’ve been at this game for so long that no rep will deliver the same satisfaction as the fitment of a genuine rolex. So I will always go gen. But it’s like paintings, what’s the point of buying a genuine Picasso when you don’t even appreciate it and have no pleasure out of it?

The two brand I would absolutely not go gen is PAMs and IWC...unless it’s a vintage IWC.