• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Which watches are actually worth buying in genuine?

neverever

Horology Curious
11/6/18
Given the high quality of many replicas, several watches I was considering buying (budget under $20k) just do not make sense to me anymore. This includes the Rolex Yachtmaster and the Jaeger LeCoultre Ultrathin Moonphase. If I buy a genuine watch, I want to be pretty certain it is replica proof..

Here are a few categories that I think there are just aren't replicas of or are worth buying in genuine (say fully functional chronograph):

- Titanium watches
- Precious metals watches (white gold or yellow gold Rolex Daytona, or a JLC Moonphase white gold?)
- complications: perpetual calendars
- Watches with pricetags under $2k: Mido, Tissots, etc..
- vintage watches (I recently picked up a GP Chronometer HF)

Any other suggestions to add to the list?

Thanks

SadProfessor

1/11/17
I’m relatively new to this all. But I would say that there are certainly some titanium reps that a NWBIG. Tudor Pelagos for example.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: neverever

RepJelly

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/7/18
IMHO Rolex is only worth buying rep at this point. The new repped movements seal the deal. Rolex is no longer the only manufacturer of Rolex watches.

Panerai is also NWBIG. Just check the super rep list. It's mostly PAM.

​​​​​​Very hard for rep factories to match the ultra fine finishes of Patek, the super complicated RMs, the thinness of Patek or AP.

On the other hand at this point we're talking some serious coin, especially for something like a RM or a super complication patek. You might run into someone with a gen AP, probably not a gen Patel, and most definitely not a gen RM.

parklanephil

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
4/6/14
I just picked this up, not buying a rep one of these ????
739b41ccf0f416765daf2624ba2c0b07.jpg

neverever

Horology Curious
11/6/18
IMHO Rolex is only worth buying rep at this point. The new repped movements seal the deal. Rolex is no longer the only manufacturer of Rolex watches.

Panerai is also NWBIG. Just check the super rep list. It's mostly PAM.

Luckily I am not interested in the Panerais, I would feel really bad owning a genuine one...

As for Rolex, I feel the only reasonable options are the Daytonas (fully functional chronograph) or a precious metal version...

parklanephil

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
4/6/14
Not many people would want that in gen or rep. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL, well i have wanted one for 20 years, mostly for when i am in the mountains off piste

RepJelly

27/7/18
Luckily I am not interested in the Panerais, I would feel really bad owning a genuine one...

As for Rolex, I feel the only reasonable options are the Daytonas (fully functional chronograph) or a precious metal version...

Noob now has a rep of the Daytona 4130 movement... fully functioning chrono.

TonyBevilsizer

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
23/5/18
I bought a breitling colt before any reps. Thought they were stupid. Now I’m going on 15 reps and one breitling colt that doesn’t get much wrist time to be honest. I can literally have my grail under $300. I say eff a gen for the most part. No one notices watches typically so the only person that matters is you. So if you wanna spend thousands on gens or hundreds on reps it’s all personal preference.

Reactions: marcoscova

neverever

Horology Curious
11/6/18
Noob now has a rep of the Daytona 4130 movement... fully functioning chrono.

Seriously? Yeah one problem with a forum style website is that it can be difficult to figure out if information is still current. So at least those chronographs can be chalked off buying in genuine then too..

neverever

Horology Curious
11/6/18
I do wonder if there are replicas that use gold or white gold cases (not just plated)?

maxpet

12/1/14
Austria
I'd buy anything in Gen that features an in-house movement. Any Pam, Omega whatsoever. I own a Gen Seamaster 300 Master Co-axial and it features the best watch movement right now imo (generally all the master co-axials), so why not buy one? However I wouldn't buy a Pam with the 6497 movement or any Gen with an unmodified or modified ETA movement.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 4 mit Tapatalk

Kernow

Renowned Member
2/9/13
Speedy Pro Moon watch. I’ve had a couple of reps and hated them. Only the gen would do. If they came up with a movement to fix the sub dial spacing issue I may change my mind but until then it has to be gen.

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
Given the high quality of many replicas, several watches I was considering buying (budget under $20k) just do not make sense to me anymore. This includes the Rolex Yachtmaster and the Jaeger LeCoultre Ultrathin Moonphase. If I buy a genuine watch, I want to be pretty certain it is replica proof..

Here are a few categories that I think there are just aren't replicas of or are worth buying in genuine (say fully functional chronograph):

- Titanium watches
- Precious metals watches (white gold or yellow gold Rolex Daytona, or a JLC Moonphase white gold?)
- complications: perpetual calendars
- Watches with pricetags under $2k: Mido, Tissots, etc..
- vintage watches (I recently picked up a GP Chronometer HF)

Any other suggestions to add to the list?

Thanks

You have covered the below suggestions already with your price < $2k, but
- watches like seiko astron, citizen satellite-wave which keep the time to +/-1 s/day perpetually, as long as they are exposed to the sky.
- rugged radio wave watches like Gshock mudmaster, doesnt make sense getting rep for $50 while gen is $500
- cheapo kiddie watches at $2, you wont even get a rep at $0.2

:)

Reactions: neverever

hartdoc

14/9/11
JLC reverso, geophysics
Any gold or two tone watch
Breitling emergency, aerospace
Grand seikos
G-shocks
Rolex skywalker
Celini- but who would actually want one
Omega speedy pro or any speedy
Meteorite dial wat

Tusubasa

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
8/9/18
U.K.
Rolex Submariner