• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is a Home built watch labeled as a fake?

Built-Sub

Horology Curious
7/7/18
I got a few super duper frankens with all gen parts except say a noob case and rep springbars - but I never would say they are real Rolex (though I treat them the same as my gens).

I just get a kick out of the fact I had them built for 20% - 60% of gen price.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

That was exactly my point. I used some aftermarket and Gen parts on my watch I was not on the Rolex forums saying is a genuine but I said I built it with some gen parts and got banned because they said it was a fake because I could not have it serviced by Rolex... I don’t care... it’s what I wanted to build and I was an am extremely happy that I built it. And it was roughly 6k cheaper. I tell people it’s a Frankenstein of gen and aftermarket parts. I don’t plan on selling it I built it for me. And the snobs banned me so I found this forum and love it. Thanks guys for the help.

Sent from the RWI App

yodog

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
2/9/11
In my parent's basement
Would you feel comfortable selling a fully gen frankened parts watch to a buyer as gen?

I know I wouldnt.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: mech500

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
Rolex will work on any watch that is built by them. I have found a way around the whole movement serial number and case serial number. Yes they can tell what 3135 was in what watch by the serial number.

Anyway the way I got them too register the 116710 too me was by putting in a brand new movement. So in the system it shows as never been installed. So either Rolex USA in NYC was being very giving that day or that is a trick. I sold my great 3135 here at a lost to put a brand new one in my 116610LV which is all rolex. I just haven't had the time too go down to NYC and spend hours to have them tell me its made by them when I know I made it and I know at this point they will service it. Same with my GMT that I just made. I build a 3175 out of a 3135 so I dont know what would happen there. But it is all Rolex and all Rolex parts. The kicker is I can service my own 3135. I can do a 3175 and a 3185. So I am good with all my watches. I never have too have rolex service crap.

I will love too learn the 4130. That is my next venture. I have one coming in and I own one already. I want to be very efficient in the 4130 then I will feel comfortable.

Reactions: Dino2018

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Wearing a built watch to AD is one thing...handing it over to them is another level. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: occb2

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
Wearing a built watch to AD is one thing...handing it over to them is another level. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might be. But they took it and registered it too me. Marked on the inspection paperwork how well the movement was running and at this time there is no need for service but too bring it back when it was it was time. They noted the scratches on the band and the case. It is now in the computer with my name registered too it. So it is a good level. I was scared crapless. I thought it was just for the bracelet to be authenticated. At zero point did I think they they would inspect the whole watch.

The watch had a case that was never registered. Brand new 3186 never installed in a watch. Here is the kicker. It was a chromo light dial and hands when the serial number called for a superlume. They didnt even care. They listed it on the inspection and I got a little greet envelope with the service number exposed. I paid the $160 plus tax and walked out with a registered occb2 build 116710LN. I still want too do it with my hulk. But dont want too tempt fate twice in a row. I also have my 16700 which is 100% rolex. But truth be told. I can service each one of these movements myself, so why do I need that piece of paper Rolex gives. Plus I doubt if at the time my 16700 starts too act up I take it to Rolex that they will say no. It is a rolex movement in a rolex case and every part of the watch is rolex. So I think they will. They are getting really lacks. I still think in my heart that the GMT bracelet that I got inspected is was half fake. It didnt feel right and look ring. Engraving was way off. But that is just me.

Reactions: Maron and mech500