• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rose Gold Watches -- How does the RG hold up to scratches over time, is it worth it?

okcomputer

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/4/18
I read a lot of posts on the forum from people saying they avoid buying rose gold watches. I have seen some for sell in the member areas that you can see the rose gold fading off in corners. My biggest concern though is not on the top so much as the bracelet part as the bottom of a watch braclet often rubs against the tops of tables as you sit and develops scratches right on the very bottom near the clasp. I would think this is where it would wear off first.

I am considering a rose gold AP royal oak based on this awesome photo I came across but am concerned about the RG fading.
https://imgur.com/gd14yon

From what I read it's around 5 microns on the RG plating and they say that most nicks only go around 3-4 microns deep and 5-6 should be adequate for regular wear.

I was thinking worst case scenario, you can pull the scratched off RG bracelet and put on a brown leather strap as the brown and rose gold look very great together as well.

JM79

Known Member
17/1/17
If you love the gold, go for the gold. I've a number of plated watches and hardly any of them have shown any fade even after a few years. I don't expect them to last forever, but the pleasure they bring should be worth the cost. There's even hope that some of them will age well and not look too bad even with a little bit of fade, but time will tell. The folks who avoid gold plated never have this trouble of course, but I suspect they're not the type to go for gold watches in the first place. As long as you don't have unrealistically high expectations, and treat the watch half as carefully as you would a genuine piece, you'll have fun.

okcomputer

11/4/18
If you love the gold, go for the gold. I've a number of plated watches and hardly any of them have shown any fade even after a few years. I don't expect them to last forever, but the pleasure they bring should be worth the cost. There's even hope that some of them will age well and not look too bad even with a little bit of fade, but time will tell. The folks who avoid gold plated never have this trouble of course, but I suspect they're not the type to go for gold watches in the first place. As long as you don't have unrealistically high expectations, and treat the watch half as carefully as you would a genuine piece, you'll have fun.

Which gold plated reps have held up the best for you?

JM79

Known Member
17/1/17
Off the top of my head - and ones that I've had and worn for a year or more - Breguet, Patek, Vacheron, AP Offshore, Cartier, Franck Muller, Ulysse Nardin, Omega, and some plated genuines too. It could be I've just been lucky, but I was warned against plated watches time and time again - and indeed it really held me back at first, because you never like to think of these things spiling. But even real gold dulls and tarnishes over the years. I don't have any watches on gold bracelets, like the Royal Oak you link to above, but it sure is fine looking, and if you desire it much more than the stainless steel version, give it a go. Maybe start with a cheaper version to dip your toe into the water? I have a stainless steel Royal Oak (as well as the RG rubber clad) and that does actually look like an expensive piece of jewellery; not at all like a standard 'dull' steel watch.

Reactions: Yadda Yadda

JM79

Known Member
17/1/17
The only bad experience I've so far had with gold plating was my Breitling Chronomat - where the rider tabs are gold. That gold is so thin you get the idea it would fall off if you blew on it. But then you look at pre-owned versions of the genuine thing and see that the gold is coming off those, too!

okcomputer

11/4/18
The only bad experience I've so far had with gold plating was my Breitling Chronomat - where the rider tabs are gold. That gold is so thin you get the idea it would fall off if you blew on it. But then you look at pre-owned versions of the genuine thing and see that the gold is coming off those, too!

I'm hesitant on getting rose gold as well as DLC coated black watches, seen the DLC black come off to. Especially if the knob you wind the watch with is coated, that with your hand/finger oils and dirt I think constantly spinning it will probably turn it.

I guess the downside is you could..
-Maybe eventually just polish off all the rest to see what is under.
-Get a new strap, maybe a RG shark mesh, or brown leather which goes good with rosegold

I really wanted to get the Royal Oak with RG and Blue but am worried on how well it would hold up.

JM79

Known Member
17/1/17
I'm hesitant on getting rose gold as well as DLC coated black watches, seen the DLC black come off to. Especially if the knob you wind the watch with is coated, that with your hand/finger oils and dirt I think constantly spinning it will probably turn it.

I guess the downside is you could..
-Maybe eventually just polish off all the rest to see what is under.
-Get a new strap, maybe a RG shark mesh, or brown leather which goes good with rosegold

I really wanted to get the Royal Oak with RG and Blue but am worried on how well it would hold up.

I think the best you can do is accept it's not going to be forever and just appreciate the time you have with it - like a pet :) Some plating does seem to hold up surprisingly well, and especially if you don't wear it as your daily watch and take care when you do have it on. Whatever happens, enjoy it. That's what it's all about.

Svermillion

5/1/15
I have many gold watches! I have a rose gold AP RO, Patek 5980, Panerai Sub 684. I also have a Rolex Day Date in yellow gold that I wear a lot! You just have to be a little more careful not to scratch them. The Pam 684 is on rubber and I feel more comfortable being rough with it. I’ve had a lot of gold watches and have never had any problems at all.
Not to mention the GOLD watches get all the attention!!

Reactions: m5smg2

m5smg2

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
23/8/07
Agreed. As mentioned above. The issue would be a deep scuff or scratches through the plating. The gold ones I wore regularly never showed signs of fade for me