• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Want a gen - help me out guys.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Ok, so the back story - this year I was hoping to pick up a new 116610. Turns out that's near impossible in the UK. AD's not interested, Rolex not interested. I'm not interested in playing the scalper / ponzi scheme premiums to get one. I know for a lot of folks that's what you have to do, and there is no such thing as RRP any more and yadda yadda yadda. I'm not playing that game.

My head tells me to look at Tudor. The Black Bay 58 looks incredible. Has a great movement, great proportions and the price is about right. It sucks that they don't throw a nato into the deal when you buy the bracelet version, but I can get a better nato than that anyway.

Is this the modern day Submariner? I liked the black bay - but it's chubby proportions - especially the height always bothered me. The BB58 solves all those problems.

But I have issues with the brand:

Will there always be an elephant in the room called Rolex? / Is Tudor still the poor mans Rolex?

Where is the brand? As a brand I just don't get them - "Born to Dare" - I don't get that. What's being daring got to do with Tudor? Is it daring not to get a Rolex instead? Is it daring to want to copy David Beckham? And I don't get the faces behind the brand either - I mean, what the fuck have David Beckham and Lady Ga Ga got to do with Tudor? They're not quite as random as Tag were on their 'faces', (Nicholas Cage ffs) but their advertising makes no sense to me - I don't know where they're trying to position themselves. Hipster brand? Or at Millenials?

But I like the BB58

Am I over thinking this?

I'm 43 by the way. It's probably why I don't get their advertising - nothing is aimed at 43 year olds apart from Lego.

Grateful for any thoughts and opinions.

thefinger

11/2/13
BB58 looks pretty amazing to me. The 41mm BB’s always seemed to large to me, and the BB58 seems to solve that issue.

I am considering getting one myself. However, the rivet style bracelet seems kinda weird to me, especially when coupled with the gilt markers and hands. Its one notch too throwback/gimmicky to me.

Size and overall look really do speak to me, I may still get one.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: muiramas

raxford

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/7/15
I own a black bay red. People ask this question a lot over on WUS. The answer is always but what you want, and generally speaking, only enthusiasts will even know what it is, and they respect Tudor’s history.

I absolutely love mine, and though I want to buy a Submariner eventually, I wouldn’t keep both, and that’s enough to keep me from buying the Rolex.

Look on the Watch U Seek forum. I’ve bought a bunch of gens over there and there are always Rolex’s for sale.

b7bde54e95d1507477165ccdb9cb0abb.jpg

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Thanks guys - I'll take a look over on WUS.

I'd like a Tudor - looks great, but as mentioned - I'm not sure I get what that brand is about right now - who is a Tudor customer etc...
Interesting that having a Tudor puts you off Rolex - its a mindset I need to develop more.

All that being said, an ARF SD43 has just arrived - Looking at this, I'm thinking more and more that reps are going to be on parity with gens in a few years anyway.
But I'd still like another nice gen...

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Tudors' image is confused and weak - I've seen ads on the TV here and I just don't understand who they are targeting as customers. I don't get the impression that you'd 'bond' with a Tudor if you bought one even if though they are good looking watches for the most part.

Reactions: nalomb and muiramas

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Tudors' image is confused and weak - I've seen ads on the TV here and I just don't understand who they are targeting as customers. I don't get the impression that you'd 'bond' with a Tudor if you bought one even if though they are good looking watches for the most part.

Exactly - confused and weak. Confused because the messaging and faces have nothing to do with their product or their past. And weak because their target is a complete unknown. Their campaign is just Social Media, trash-tier click bait - as though X has X number of followers on Twitter so if they tweet shit, then some of that will translate into sales. This bothers me.

I was flummoxed with David Beckham as a brand ambassador - but Lady Ga Ga?

I like some of the watches, but I just don't know if I can buy into that overall crap fest.

Maybe it's my age - I would just prefer if their strategy was somehow more ... 'Cerebral'.

Your'e right dog, I don't think I'd bond right now.

Reactions: tripdog

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
Tudor will always be a poor man's Rolex -- no way around it and never going to change. If you're OK with that, then no harm no foul.

Their advertising is trying to take advantage of the Kickstarter, social media-style campaign and hoping it doesn't diminish the brand -- can't have your cake and eat it too haha. For ~2,500.00 (And the associated brand image), I think there are a lot more interesting options out there if you are going gen. The end result depends on your own sensibilities, and when facing the disappointment of what you really want being out of stock, many people will settle (taking home the heffer when the dime shuts you down).

If you have to question your purchase, I don't think you should make it -- find something that is not only a good deal, but something that brings a sparkle to your eye. My two shekels ...

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
If you are infected with this opinion of other people, you should avoid it. I personally, disagree.
I have the same view on their campaign but i tend to see it also as a cult failure.

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
Go and try some gen tudors on. Maybe they’ll speak to you then?

I got so lucky finding my sub
da7fbe2b0b0403c7c749974722c4f8f8.jpg

gigi77

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/17
If you want the Sub, hold for the Sub. Buying a gen that you are still wondering about the brand image and just the fact that you are asking people over a forum... rings a "no no" on my head.

You will find your sub, I am sure that some almost never used ones will pop up on chrono24 with the right price if you keep looking. So many rich people buy it, do not wear it and get bored with them.

Reactions: machim and muiramas

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
If you are infected with this opinion of other people, you should avoid it. I personally, disagree.
I have the same view on their campaign but i tend to see it also as a cult failure.

Well, it's my own opinion that I'm figuring out - I put it down in the OP, and was just asking opinions to see if my view was totally off base. Turns out it isn't.

Nevertheless, your point that it is a cultural rather than brand faliure is interesting,

Last edited:

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Go and try some gen tudors on. Maybe they’ll speak to you then?

I got so lucky finding my sub
da7fbe2b0b0403c7c749974722c4f8f8.jpg

I remember it well - you got it from Hawaii right? Just before you started practicing. You got yours the textbook - and right way. Congratulations.

Mr Gatsby

17/4/17
For me if I like it I would buy it. I would never not buy something bc of an advertising champaign, or be worried who may or may not be wearing it bc of said Champaign! That's not how I operate but to each his own. I hope you find what you looking for. I have 5 Tudor gens and bc of the matt colors on the pelagos and the bronze case's on the 2 BBB I often get what I would call non watch people saying how they like the colors but not 1 of them know what they are. Very few people do and even less care. So I say get what you want and don't over think it. Good luck.

Sent from the RWI App

Herc

Renowned Member
11/6/16
Belfast - United Kingdom
I have a few Gen watches but they represent occasions i.e anniversary, wedding and 30th birthday. I am on the waiting list for the new Rolex GMT Pepsi - The only AD in Northern Ireland is where a friend works so fingers crossed he can sort me out :) I think after this it will be my final Gen purchase.

kluzik1

Known Member
14/3/18
Go to WUS and try to find a Rolex. It’s always like this when you’ll try to fulfil your dream with some temporary solutions you end up going afterward to the watch you dreamed of

Cowboy45

12/2/18
USA
If you like the Tudor get it! I'm not sure what their brand image is and I'm 26 if it matters. I don't care though. I like the overall look of the black bay, always have. However if you are on the fence i would definetly take the trip to an AD if possible and check them out in person. Another to consider in that price range is Breitling. Those are my 2 favorites and of course Rolex is that next tier.

I would forsure see how you like the Tudor in person though. Don't let their brand advertising or target market (Whatever it may be) sway your decision making if you really like the watch.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Yeah, I'm definitely going to have a look at it. Not sure when the 58 is going to be in store. But no hurry.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Ok, so the back story - this year I was hoping to pick up a new 116610. Turns out that's near impossible in the UK. AD's not interested, Rolex not interested. I'm not interested in playing the scalper / ponzi scheme premiums to get one. I know for a lot of folks that's what you have to do, and there is no such thing as RRP any more and yadda yadda yadda. I'm not playing that game.

My head tells me to look at Tudor. The Black Bay 58 looks incredible. Has a great movement, great proportions and the price is about right. It sucks that they don't throw a nato into the deal when you buy the bracelet version, but I can get a better nato than that anyway.

Is this the modern day Submariner? I liked the black bay - but it's chubby proportions - especially the height always bothered me. The BB58 solves all those problems.

But I have issues with the brand:

Will there always be an elephant in the room called Rolex? / Is Tudor still the poor mans Rolex?

Where is the brand? As a brand I just don't get them - "Born to Dare" - I don't get that. What's being daring got to do with Tudor? Is it daring not to get a Rolex instead? Is it daring to want to copy David Beckham? And I don't get the faces behind the brand either - I mean, what the fuck have David Beckham and Lady Ga Ga got to do with Tudor? They're not quite as random as Tag were on their 'faces', (Nicholas Cage ffs) but their advertising makes no sense to me - I don't know where they're trying to position themselves. Hipster brand? Or at Millenials?

But I like the BB58

Am I over thinking this?

I'm 43 by the way. It's probably why I don't get their advertising - nothing is aimed at 43 year olds apart from Lego.

Grateful for any thoughts and opinions.

I am late to this party, man! Listen. I wanted a Rolex Explorer 36mm but all old explorers are incredibly overpriced. Suddenly, the Black Bay 36mm comes in, smooth bezel, black dial, no date. Just perfect, exactly the sturdy and reliable tiny little tank I wanted on my wrist when I was looking for an Explorer. I barely wear it because I enjoy playing with toy watches, but when I need a real watch I know it's there and I wear it with pride, knowing that yeah it's not a Porsche, but it's still a proper Audi.

Although... If you have the money and really want the sub. Honestly, don't let the artificial scarcity put you off. Also don't just look in London. How much is a flight to Dubai? And what about Singapore? Hong Kong? You can fly in, stay in the cheapest shithole (or treat yourself!), collect your brand new Submariner, fly back. How much would that be, five hundred quid? Over a six grand plus watch? I'd pay that premium.

Complex12

Horology Curious
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
23/8/17
I would recommend going on Rolex forums and getting a mint sub or perhaps a SD43. They are around MSRP. I've seen a few YM1 in stock as ADs...