• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Watches that are easiest and most plausible to pull off, how to wear reps with confidence

FrinUs

Horology Curious
16/5/22
Hello all,

I couldn't find a specific thread on this so I decided to make a new post about collecting and talking about the watches that are "plausible", meaning they can be used to fool people around you into thinking they're gen. Also tricks and attitude to pull the watches off and wear them right.

Background is keeping it believable. While AP and Rolex are great, they are hard to pull off and obviously showing up with a $200k Richard Mille or even a $70k Patek Philippe doesn't fly unless you have that lifestyle and status to make people think you have that income. If you're not known to be well-off, people could expose your rep or get suspicious just because it would be too expensive or downright nrealistic.

So my go-to brands for reps right now are Oris, Tag Heuer and Longines. Even a Panerai could be believable but I'm rocking a Longines Master daily right now and it works really well.

What also matters is how you wear it, confidence, matching clothes and overall attitude, I had good success with just acting all humble and saying "ah well I had to save up a long time/work very hard it wasn't easy to buy etc", also saying it's used ("pre-owned") and that I traded some antiques in at a jeweller to get a good deal. Works like a charm to flash people that recognize you allegedly have a couple thousand bucks on your wirst.

What are the best tips to pull off your reps as gen? Any specific watches or tricks to fool your social circle appreciated ????

FrinUs

Horology Curious
16/5/22
I wouldn't say anybody. I mean yeah if you buy reps to collect for yourself in private sure why would you care if someone believes it's the real deal. But if you're wearing them specifically to show off and to flex on people, you definitely want them to pass. For example, this is why a No-date sub is my favorite Rolex rep. With no date window, the watch is simpler and better to fake and thus more likely to pass even when people who were around gens look at it. And it's not a $50k Daytona where you have the whole chronograph spiel and a bunch of stuff on the dial that is hard to fake.

Also, Nomos is great because they're simple and not outrageously expensive. Very easy to pass as real, there isn't much to go wrong. No complicated elements on the watch and no unrealistic price. Isn't this the whole point of reps? If I didn't need someone convinced I spent $10k on my watch I might as well buy a Seiko lol

BlueLineFarmer

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/21
Hello all,

I couldn't find a specific thread on this so I decided to make a new post about collecting and talking about the watches that are "plausible", meaning they can be used to fool people around you into thinking they're gen. Also tricks and attitude to pull the watches off and wear them right.

Background is keeping it believable. While AP and Rolex are great, they are hard to pull off and obviously showing up with a $200k Richard Mille or even a $70k Patek Philippe doesn't fly unless you have that lifestyle and status to make people think you have that income. If you're not known to be well-off, people could expose your rep or get suspicious just because it would be too expensive or downright nrealistic.

So my go-to brands for reps right now are Oris, Tag Heuer and Longines. Even a Panerai could be believable but I'm rocking a Longines Master daily right now and it works really well.

What also matters is how you wear it, confidence, matching clothes and overall attitude, I had good success with just acting all humble and saying "ah well I had to save up a long time/work very hard it wasn't easy to buy etc", also saying it's used ("pre-owned") and that I traded some antiques in at a jeweller to get a good deal. Works like a charm to flash people that recognize you allegedly have a couple thousand bucks on your wirst.

What are the best tips to pull off your reps as gen? Any specific watches or tricks to fool your social circle appreciated ????

To fool my friends I wear 10 rep Richard Mille watches on each of my hands and tell them I am wearing 20 watches worth $10million, it works all the time to fool them.

FrinUs

Horology Curious
16/5/22
To fool my friends I wear 10 rep Richard Mille watches on each of my hands and tell them I am wearing 20 watches worth $10million, it works all the time to fool them.

aight you're making fun of it but still, let's be honest when you're in a club and someone notices your Rolex you won't correct them and talk about "watch replicas"...you go with it

PAM_BOY

Legendary Member
6/5/19
Germany
All this has little to do with the watch, but rather with the wearer. If the rest is right, they will also take a Nautilus from you. If the rest is not right, even a Moonswatch on your wrist will be considered a Rep.

That's the ONE AND ONLY point!

Reactions: PHutch

kavorca1

cosa nostra for life.
Supporter
12/5/20
SoCal
The fact that op has to try and fool his friends is proof enough that he would be the biggest “tell” of being fake

Reactions: JayBee0815

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
All this has little to do with the watch, but rather with the wearer. If the rest is right, they will also take a Nautilus from you. If the rest is not right, even a Moonswatch on your wrist will be considered a Rep.

Think he wants to discuss how like minded people here “make the rest look right”....when wearing watches that they couldn’t conceivably afford.

It’s a valid dissuasion topic that I imagine will interest a lot of younger members, that are still at school or perhaps only starting out in their careers - and want to wear/flex an unattainable in gen watch for fun. Nothing wrong with that. Some people here are unfortunately quite derogatory towards people that admit they act like it’s gen in the club.

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe
Think he wants to discuss how like minded people here “make the rest look right”....when wearing watches that they couldn’t conceivably afford.

It’s a valid dissuasion topic that I imagine will interest a lot of younger members, that are still at school or perhaps only starting out in their careers - and want to wear/flex an unattainable in gen watch for fun. Nothing wrong with that. Some people here are unfortunately quite derogatory towards people that admit they act like it’s gen in the club.

But what should we tell them? That they had bad luck in the sperm lottery? That it is ridiculous to try to look like some of these superficial Insta-Influencer? I honestly dont know. Maybe I am just too old for that kind of shit ;-)

Last edited:

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
But what should we tell them? That they had bad luck in the sperm lottery? That it is ridiculous to try to look like some of these superficial Insta-Influencer? I honestly dont know. Maybe I am just too old for that kind of shit ;-)

Think we’re too old for this thread bro. Leave it to the kids....who wanna look like Instagram influencers..and share tips with like minded members.

I’m too old to judge people. We were all young once. let them flex their aliexpress lambo keys and their RMs in the club. It’s just for fun. No harm done.

FrinUs

Horology Curious
16/5/22
I find it hard to believe y'all don't show off from time to time. I know it's not honest but passing a watch as gen is like the guilty pleasure of collecting reps, if I didn't care I'd just buy a Steinhart. I've seen plenty of people flex gen watches like Gucci and other fashion accs and those cost a fraction of the higher end brands so I think clout is a big selling point. I still remember the first people who got the Hermes apple watch straps and all that crap and they were flashing people like mad. A Rolex that someone think is gen changes their whole perception of your persona so I think it matters a lot.

wmass

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/4/22
I was just having this discussion with my brother in law lol we concluded that there is actually a sweet spot between reps and ones existing lifestyle that equals "true believe ability" (similar to enlightenment) but only if you want maximum effect for the big brain 4d chess flex

pistebasher

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/6/20
UK
Flexing is ultimately self defeating. There is always someone with a better watch, a bigger house, a better car, a bigger dick. Wear what you like the look of and be happy my friend.

redsubmaster

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
8/12/21
it really depends what rep we are talking about, a 16610 stock from puretime for 320usd? i wouldnt even wear that, and i would certainly not pass it as a gen.
on another hand, if we are talking about an high end build from phong, with gen movement and franken parts, then yes i would easily pass it as gen to friends as this would be a 9k watch and hard to spot even by most watchsmith.
but remember, the point of this forum is not to give you tips to fool people, rwi is here for the passion of the build, we love building pieces and learn all small detail from the gen to get as close as possible to it, for our own satifaction :)

jjw1610

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/6/21
Ah yes, I remember when I was interested in buy rep timepieces to flex on my friends. Probably around the same time I was looking at Supreme BOGO sweatshirts and Yeezy ultraboosts. It really hasn't been that long since I had an Aliexpress cart full of knockoff fashion stuff, but at this point (~4 years later), I am really glad I didn't waste my money on the stuff. Don't get me wrong, if you appreciate the style and whatnot go for it, but it is rather vain to but expensive looking replicas to impress your friends. Reps are more about appreciating the style and horology behind some of the legendary time pieces that are made at a more accessible price point.

That being said, on a material level, I doubt that any of your friends would be able to spot the flaws on a $30 daydate clone. You are right in the respect that anybody who knows that you are unlikely to have the income to buy some expensive watches will probably think its fake. I think a more exact version of your question probably is: what are some watches reps that my friends don't know are expensive.