• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How do reps compare with watches as San Martin?

Philumi

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/3/21
So I never had a replica watch before, all of my experiences with watches were with Swiss brands and lately a lot of San Martin watches, which blew me away in terms of value, fit & finish, just overall what you get for your money.

The better San Martin watches are round about where many mid tier reps sit, arround $300 - $350, so I wonder how do they compare?

I'm specificly searching for a 36mm SS piece from Rolex, not sure which one yet. Maybe an OP from BPF or something from ARF, who knows. Are those watches up to the standard of a San Martin watch in terms of build quality, fit and finish, tolerances, haptics, or are they worse or even better?

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Don't know San Martin So I can't speak to the direct comparison but any top tier replica like the ARF explorer you get will have very good fit and finish.

obispo

21/12/15
I have never seen a replica watch as flawless and quality finished as a San Martin.

But I have to say that I had only 4 high level replicas and 4 San Martins. So my experience is limited.

I was thinking the same before you ask. Why replica makers can't catch the same build quality, even they take double price generally.

Also in my opinion, copied movements are generally more problematic than cheap japanese movements.

CPH2113 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
Palm Beach
I’ve had my fair share of reps and San Martin and other homage brands of their same caliber. I must say that they’re at the same and sometimes above quality than a lot of reps I have had.

f4f659107035100a92325b5ec205e9ad.jpg

jALbcE.jpg

Currently enjoying this new release by a new company called Seestern. They filled the gap for a correct Doxa homage.

0dc3d16821fa15e8d09434ab4b04d349.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: k4jun and Philumi

Philumi

14/3/21
mclarendude That GS hommage is nice af. I honestly thought high end reps have to be better, because well, they are illegal. I doubt that these factories have the same cost as fully legal one.

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
Palm Beach
mclarendude That GS hommage is nice af. I honestly thought high end reps have to be better, because well, they are illegal. I doubt that these factories have the same cost as fully legal one.

The GS was something else on the wrist. It really felt like a $4,000 watch, the detailing was just... wow. I got it at a bargain but sadly let it go. It was a bit too big for me. But a great watch to consider. It ran at chronometer spec.

That is something that these homage brands are literally outdoing the swiss. All my homages with NH35/36 movements have not lost or gained a second while worn or on the winder. And that to me is important and amazing at $170+/-.

Reactions: obispo

elconquistador

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
10/6/10
The GS was something else on the wrist. It really felt like a $4,000 watch, the detailing was just... wow. I got it at a bargain but sadly let it go. It was a bit too big for me. But a great watch to consider. It ran at chronometer spec.

That is something that these homage brands are literally outdoing the swiss. All my homages with NH35/36 movements have not lost or gained a second while worn or on the winder. And that to me is important and amazing at $170+/-.
Which one is the GS homage

Tribefan

15/11/19

I've always looked at it just the opposite. Cost has nothing to do with price. Rep "factories" are selling reps with someone else's brand and they are not accountable for quality. They cut whatever corner they can to get to market and have virtually no responsibility for quality failures. The name on the watch, and certainly the fit and finish, sell the product, but they operate underground and are not subject to any oversight. Once it is out the door and paid for, they are done. Maybe you get a good movement, maybe you don't. Maybe someone who is skilled has assembled that movement with adequate lubrication, maybe they haven't. Who knows?

Micro brands have to compete with each other, and part of that is on QA and serviceability. They are legit businesses that have to comply with rules, however lax those are in China, at least they exist and they can be accountable for them. San Martin hasn't been around for years because they pump out what ever parts they happen to have. They have spec's and have to provide consistency. If they were flooded with returns, it would burn their profits. JMHO, YMMV.

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
By accident I found Zelos a few months ago. I have a Zelos Abyss II in CUSN8 Bronze (like GEN Panerai), pressure certified to 3 kilometers, 3,000 meters, or close to 10,000 feet. It has a 7mm thick saphire bezel, outdoing the one Rolex has in their DSSD. And I paid $600 for it. It was even available with a Meteorite dial. Just incredible!

teh_ham

18/6/21
So I never had a replica watch before, all of my experiences with watches were with Swiss brands and lately a lot of San Martin watches, which blew me away in terms of value, fit & finish, just overall what you get for your money.

The better San Martin watches are round about where many mid tier reps sit, arround $300 - $350, so I wonder how do they compare?

I'm specificly searching for a 36mm SS piece from Rolex, not sure which one yet. Maybe an OP from BPF or something from ARF, who knows. Are those watches up to the standard of a San Martin watch in terms of build quality, fit and finish, tolerances, haptics, or are they worse or even better?

Replicas are far less consistent than established watchmakers. It's always a lottery, but thankfully you'll be given QC pictures, so you can check exactly what you'll be receiving - so you usually get an idea of the finishing before you receive it.

Reactions: Philumi

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
I've always looked at it just the opposite. Cost has nothing to do with price. Rep "factories" are selling reps with someone else's brand and they are not accountable for quality. They cut whatever corner they can to get to market and have virtually no responsibility for quality failures. The name on the watch, and certainly the fit and finish, sell the product, but they operate underground and are not subject to any oversight. Once it is out the door and paid for, they are done. Maybe you get a good movement, maybe you don't. Maybe someone who is skilled has assembled that movement with adequate lubrication, maybe they haven't. Who knows?

Micro brands have to compete with each other, and part of that is on QA and serviceability. They are legit businesses that have to comply with rules, however lax those are in China, at least they exist and they can be accountable for them. San Martin hasn't been around for years because they pump out what ever parts they happen to have. They have spec's and have to provide consistency. If they were flooded with returns, it would burn their profits. JMHO, YMMV.

For oversea buyers, yes, for local chinese buyers, no. There is a warranty that they need to honour and reputation to keep else they will be ditch by middleman and buyers. Likewise for quality, with so many "factory" making reps, especially Rolex, they can't afford to drop the ball too much or their goods won't sell.

shinynewbling25

aprilia
29/1/15
Where your daughter is
My brother actually has been on an homage kick lately and got the Seestern Monster (I think it was seestern) Seestern Doxa that Mclaren Dude posted and the San Marten Hulk and Panerai homages. I was actually incredibly impressed with the San Martin hulk and panerai. The Seesterns were great but a little sharp on the edges which normally I would actually associate with good quality and crisp machining but wearing it was a little irritating. The Seestern monster was better than the original gen one I had. The San Martins felt very quality. I've been meaning to bring my beat up V6s roles sub over his house to compare case shapes and I think I actually asked that question here around the OP's post time if there were any comparisons. I'd say they're almost identical. Still, it ain't a Rolex and the rep says Rolex on it so you have that. I can't say with San Martin that every one will feel great but I can say with reps, not every one will due to inconsistant quality and machining. Some will feel sharp and rattley and others smooth, quiet and solid.

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
The SM homage are pretty good quality and have improved from last time, but they aren’t as cheap as last time as well.
Again as u stated, one state Rolex one doesn’t so it depends on what u r looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrRungood

Looking Around
26/1/22
I am curious how the top Chinese homage watches compare to mid tier and top tier replicas. How durable are the movements in replicas? Will they be as durable as a NH35, Pt5000 or ETA movement?
I found this forum due to wanting to buy a decent replica or homage watch, probably a sub or GMT. It would be nice if YouTube would allow reviews on replicas like homage watches.
The watch that I'm currently wearing most is a Pagani Omega homage with a Seiko NH35 that keeps great time. My next watch purchase will be a higher quality watch. I'm just not sure if it will be a better made homage, replica, or an entry Swiss made watch.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk