Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do reps compare with watches as San Martin?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    How do reps compare with watches as San Martin?

    So I never had a replica watch before, all of my experiences with watches were with Swiss brands and lately a lot of San Martin watches, which blew me away in terms of value, fit & finish, just overall what you get for your money.

    The better San Martin watches are round about where many mid tier reps sit, arround $300 - $350, so I wonder how do they compare?

    I'm specificly searching for a 36mm SS piece from Rolex, not sure which one yet. Maybe an OP from BPF or something from ARF, who knows. Are those watches up to the standard of a San Martin watch in terms of build quality, fit and finish, tolerances, haptics, or are they worse or even better?

    #2
    Much better finish , yes

    Sent from my Mi Note 10 using Tapatalk

    Comment


      #3
      freediver Have you made that experience personally?

      Comment


        #4
        Don't know San Martin So I can't speak to the direct comparison but any top tier replica like the ARF explorer you get will have very good fit and finish.
        My wish list:
        Panerai OP VIII movement (7750 with GMT complication)

        Comment


          #5
          I have never seen a replica watch as flawless and quality finished as a San Martin.

          But I have to say that I had only 4 high level replicas and 4 San Martins. So my experience is limited.

          I was thinking the same before you ask. Why replica makers can't catch the same build quality, even they take double price generally.

          Also in my opinion, copied movements are generally more problematic than cheap japanese movements.

          CPH2113 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

          Comment


            #6
            I’ve had my fair share of reps and San Martin and other homage brands of their same caliber. I must say that they’re at the same and sometimes above quality than a lot of reps I have had.





            Currently enjoying this new release by a new company called Seestern. They filled the gap for a correct Doxa homage.




            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Last edited by mclarendude; 07-10-21, 12:42.
            "Did mcbigmac stole a watch from me?" -oascom
            founder and member of The Official RWI Planet Ocean Club and the RWI Seamaster Club.
            siggy by WingNut

            Comment


              #7
              mclarendude That GS hommage is nice af. I honestly thought high end reps have to be better, because well, they are illegal. I doubt that these factories have the same cost as fully legal one.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Philumi View Post
                mclarendude That GS hommage is nice af. I honestly thought high end reps have to be better, because well, they are illegal. I doubt that these factories have the same cost as fully legal one.
                The GS was something else on the wrist. It really felt like a $4,000 watch, the detailing was just... wow. I got it at a bargain but sadly let it go. It was a bit too big for me. But a great watch to consider. It ran at chronometer spec.

                That is something that these homage brands are literally outdoing the swiss. All my homages with NH35/36 movements have not lost or gained a second while worn or on the winder. And that to me is important and amazing at $170+/-.
                "Did mcbigmac stole a watch from me?" -oascom
                founder and member of The Official RWI Planet Ocean Club and the RWI Seamaster Club.
                siggy by WingNut

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by mclarendude View Post

                  The GS was something else on the wrist. It really felt like a $4,000 watch, the detailing was just... wow. I got it at a bargain but sadly let it go. It was a bit too big for me. But a great watch to consider. It ran at chronometer spec.

                  That is something that these homage brands are literally outdoing the swiss. All my homages with NH35/36 movements have not lost or gained a second while worn or on the winder. And that to me is important and amazing at $170+/-.
                  Which one is the GS homage
                  So much want.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by elconquistador View Post
                    Which one is the GS homage
                    https://wrwatches.com/products/san-m...s-diver-homage


                    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    "Did mcbigmac stole a watch from me?" -oascom
                    founder and member of The Official RWI Planet Ocean Club and the RWI Seamaster Club.
                    siggy by WingNut

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Philumi View Post
                      mclarendude That GS hommage is nice af. I honestly thought high end reps have to be better, because well, they are illegal. I doubt that these factories have the same cost as fully legal one.
                      I've always looked at it just the opposite. Cost has nothing to do with price. Rep "factories" are selling reps with someone else's brand and they are not accountable for quality. They cut whatever corner they can to get to market and have virtually no responsibility for quality failures. The name on the watch, and certainly the fit and finish, sell the product, but they operate underground and are not subject to any oversight. Once it is out the door and paid for, they are done. Maybe you get a good movement, maybe you don't. Maybe someone who is skilled has assembled that movement with adequate lubrication, maybe they haven't. Who knows?

                      Micro brands have to compete with each other, and part of that is on QA and serviceability. They are legit businesses that have to comply with rules, however lax those are in China, at least they exist and they can be accountable for them. San Martin hasn't been around for years because they pump out what ever parts they happen to have. They have spec's and have to provide consistency. If they were flooded with returns, it would burn their profits. JMHO, YMMV.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        By accident I found Zelos a few months ago. I have a Zelos Abyss II in CUSN8 Bronze (like GEN Panerai), pressure certified to 3 kilometers, 3,000 meters, or close to 10,000 feet. It has a 7mm thick saphire bezel, outdoing the one Rolex has in their DSSD. And I paid $600 for it. It was even available with a Meteorite dial. Just incredible!

                        Comment


                          #13
                          San Martin are shite

                          Comment


                            #14
                            c_hall100 That helped a lot, thanks.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Philumi View Post
                              So I never had a replica watch before, all of my experiences with watches were with Swiss brands and lately a lot of San Martin watches, which blew me away in terms of value, fit & finish, just overall what you get for your money.

                              The better San Martin watches are round about where many mid tier reps sit, arround $300 - $350, so I wonder how do they compare?

                              I'm specificly searching for a 36mm SS piece from Rolex, not sure which one yet. Maybe an OP from BPF or something from ARF, who knows. Are those watches up to the standard of a San Martin watch in terms of build quality, fit and finish, tolerances, haptics, or are they worse or even better?
                              Replicas are far less consistent than established watchmakers. It's always a lottery, but thankfully you'll be given QC pictures, so you can check exactly what you'll be receiving - so you usually get an idea of the finishing before you receive it.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X