• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Looking for a Watchsmith in the UK - VS3235

LongyUK

Supporter
Certified
9/3/21
Hi all,

So I bought a VSF Sub (126610LV) in May and absolutely love the watch - its amazing.

Unfortunately after a few months I noticed a significant time loss and upon inspection I found the minute hand appeared to freeze for 5mins when it reached 12. Further investigation found that this only happened after it was set and therefore i could set the watch 5 minutes fast and it would correct itself and then work.

After a few months the above work around stopped doing the trick and the minute hand has got progressively worse.... The minute hand now reaches (around) 10 and stops indefinitely if I set it to quarter past it will work as normal until it hits 10 again and then will stop.

All evidence suggests a slipping cannon pinion which may need tightening. Adjusting the watch works flawlessly as expected.

Soooo... the time has come to send her to an expert to be looked at. Basically i need a reputable watchsmith in the UK who can work on the VS3235.

Its this watch - https://trustytime.io/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_7&products_id=22294

Many thanks...

biff1001

25/7/21
Hi all,

So I bought a VSF Sub (126610LV) in May and absolutely love the watch - its amazing.

Unfortunately after a few months I noticed a significant time loss and upon inspection I found the minute hand appeared to freeze for 5mins when it reached 12. Further investigation found that this only happened after it was set and therefore i could set the watch 5 minutes fast and it would correct itself and then work.

After a few months the above work around stopped doing the trick and the minute hand has got progressively worse.... The minute hand now reaches (around) 10 and stops indefinitely if I set it to quarter past it will work as normal until it hits 10 again and then will stop.

All evidence suggests a slipping cannon pinion which may need tightening. Adjusting the watch works flawlessly as expected.

Soooo... the time has come to send her to an expert to be looked at. Basically i need a reputable watchsmith in the UK who can work on the VS3235.

Its this watch - https://trustytime.io/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_7&products_id=22294

Many thanks...

Try Ado213 on this forum.

Reactions: LongyUK

eqw72

Gangsterville
Supporter
Certified
8/9/20
I’m also struggling to find a reliable UK watchmaker. I’ve got a couple of pieces that need routine service and waterproof and a 16610 that I’m wanting to Frankenstein with gen parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

eqw72

Gangsterville
Supporter
Certified
8/9/20
OP - best of luck getting yours fixed mate. Beautiful piece, it’s on my shopping list for this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LongyUK

Supporter
Certified
9/3/21
Is it easy to get to and remove / pinch it?

Im not adverse to having a go myself and have had movement out etc and rehanded them etc. a few times. Is the Cannon Pinion easily accessible when the date wheel is removed?

Perhaps Nikz19 has done this a few times?

​​​​​​​Thanks

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
Is it easy to get to and remove / pinch it?

Im not adverse to having a go myself and have had movement out etc and rehanded them etc. a few times. Is the Cannon Pinion easily accessible when the date wheel is removed?

Perhaps Nikz19 has done this a few times?

​​​​​​​Thanks

You have to remove the blue screws holding the date plate in place. The cannon pinion is right under the hour wheel which will then be accessible.
However pinching a cannon pinion is not a job I’d recommend for someone not used to it as the margin is really, really small. Too many chances it goes wrong.

Anyway if you still want to give it a go, you have to remove the cannon pinion and pinch it very, very slightly. Grease and put back in place. If you overdo, you’ll need a new one.

Reactions: kswiss1900

LongyUK

Supporter
Certified
9/3/21
You have to remove the blue screws holding the date plate in place. The cannon pinion is right under the hour wheel which will then be accessible.
However pinching a cannon pinion is not a job I’d recommend for someone not used to it as the margin is really, really small. Too many chances it goes wrong.

Anyway if you still want to give it a go, you have to remove the cannon pinion and pinch it very, very slightly. Grease and put back in place. If you overdo, you’ll need a new one.

Thanks Nikz, do we know if a gen part will drop in? And if so where can one be sourced if at all?

Reactions: elflako17

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
From my experience even a 3135 one will work.. They appear to be the same

LongyUK

Supporter
Certified
9/3/21
From my experience even a 3135 one will work.. They appear to be the same

Thanks for the advice on this Nikz!

My interest is peaked now. Im tempted to get a gen Pinion (3135-335) and drop it in. Is there anything I need to know? Sounds like i literally remove the date plate and hour wheel to reveal the pinion. Can i then simply 'pop' it off an replace it without removing any other parts?

Is the pinion pushed on or simply sat in place?

Excited to give this a go!

LongyUK

Supporter
Certified
9/3/21
Well I did it.

Opened her up removed the date wheel plate and hour wheel allowing me to pop the cannon pinion off…

I used a straightened staple inside the tube (the pinion is TINY) and gave it a light pinch with nail clippers in the ridge. Then I put it all back together and so far so good - it works!!! Three hours in and still keeping perfect time.

Not bad considering I have no watch tools at all other than a small screwdriver set!

Reactions: Karbon74 and Heme

elflako17

Supporter
Certified
2/7/21
Well I did it.

Opened her up removed the date wheel plate and hour wheel allowing me to pop the cannon pinion off…

I used a straightened staple inside the tube (the pinion is TINY) and gave it a light pinch with nail clippers in the ridge. Then I put it all back together and so far so good - it works!!! Three hours in and still keeping perfect time.

Not bad considering I have no watch tools at all other than a small screwdriver set!

Nice man,i am glad that you were able to fix it. i my self went ahead and ordered a brand new gen 3135-335 pinion so i can have it installed with the rest of my gen parts that i have coming

15ca3915a7aba34e728192cbc20e97d7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LongyUK

Supporter
Certified
9/3/21
Nice man,i am glad that you were able to fix it. i my self went ahead and ordered a brand new gen 3135-335 pinion so i can have it installed with the rest of my gen parts that i have coming

15ca3915a7aba34e728192cbc20e97d7.jpg

Good luck popping it in matey. It was pretty easy for me with no previous knowledge. Let me know if you have a issues.

Mine is still going strong on its third day now running at +5 sec a day!!! :thumbsup:

Reactions: elflako17

elflako17

Supporter
Certified
2/7/21
Good luck popping it in matey. It was pretty easy for me with no previous knowledge. Let me know if you have a issues.

Mine is still going strong on its third day now running at +5 sec a day!!! :thumbsup:

If i told you i was going to do this fix my self i would be lying hahah, this is something that i am going to let my watch smith handle with the rest of the gen movement parts that i have.

Reactions: LongyUK

r.keane

5/4/15
London, UK
Seems like there are not enough good watchmakers nowadays to meet the demand! ????