• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Water proofing/water resistant

Kriley53132

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/6/20
Is waterproofing really worth it? From my reading other than A brisk walk through a mist reps don’t handle water very well. Ideally I’d like to be able to have a dive watch that can withstand being at least in a swimming pool. Anybody have any insight on if that’s possible and what’s the best route to take to get there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DryRun

DryRun

Known Member
23/4/21
Is waterproofing really worth it? From my reading other than A brisk walk through a mist reps don’t handle water very well. Ideally I’d like to be able to have a dive watch that can withstand being at least in a swimming pool. Anybody have any insight on if that’s possible and what’s the best route to take to get there?

As far as I understand, reps are able to be waterproofed as well as any other watch, it's still a watch. Just, most don't come from factories being waterproofed.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Kriley53132

25/6/20
That is also my understanding. I’m just curious if anybody has had it done and does it really work?I paid extra to have a watch waterproof from a TD but I’m too nervous to put it in one and see if they really did it

DryRun

Known Member
23/4/21
That is also my understanding. I’m just curious if anybody has had it done and does it really work?I paid extra to have a watch waterproof from a TD but I’m too nervous to put it in one and see if they really did it

I've known several aftermarket mods to waterproof and I've seen videos to verify. Now, I'm not sure that I would trust a TD to do it correctly, but not all TDs or created equal. Check this link for instance: https://www.reddit.com/r/RepTime/co...ance/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kriley53132

WolfKissed

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/6/21
California

Just take it swimming! Water doesn’t just rush into any watch… you can keep an eye on it, it if starts to fog or take in water, leave it in a bag of dried rice over night with the crown open (or a silica pouch) and it’ll get all the moisture out.

I’ve done this with all my reps as they always advertise 3ATM water resistant…. Rarely are. Haha

imaballa

8/9/20
I’ve spent the last week in the sea with my vsf… sometimes spending an hour in the water. Never had it waterproofed, they should be water proofed straight from the factory. Although just like anything else in the factories, the work they do is not always immaculate

Kriley53132

25/6/20
What happen to have been a vsf sea master.that’s one of the watches I’m considering getting wet

Kriley53132

25/6/20
With this be a stupid idea to just put it in a bowl of water and see how the watch handles it so I can observe it before taking it in a pool

Kriley53132

25/6/20
With this be a stupid idea to just put it in a bowl of water and see how the watch handles it so I can observe it before taking it in a pool

Davne25

Supporter // Watchaddict
23/3/17
Germany
Hey mate, a swimming pool and swimming is a very different circumstance for the watch from the water resistant perspective. Swimming and putting the watch deeper under water will create more pressure then just putting it in a small bowl with water. And it is very unlikely that you will be able to see the water running into it. If something gets in it will be only some small drops but they can result in rust on your movement which will eventually cause much damage over time.
Waterproofing a watch doesnt mean you treat it with a special coating or something, it does mean that all gaskets are checked for damage and silicon grease will be put on them. Eventho 70-90% of all reps are waterproof to a certain degree you can never be sure unless you have the watch „waterproofed“ and checked with a pressure test by a professional, or by yourself if you have the tools. Now if you paid for it to be waterproof i think the TD will take care of it but return the watch if it is not waterproof can be very annoying. If you really want to have it waterproof, buy the tools and learn how to do it, or search a watchmaker in your area and ask him to do it… thats the best way in my opinion. :) always check the crown befor submerging it , thats the first step ;)

Gesendet von iPhone mit RWI

swink6112

Known Member
15/7/20
My ootb vsf sub40 has been in the shower and pool with me countless times and no issue whatsoever. But I heard some horror stories as well. So tread lightly and get your rep waterproof by a watchmaker is the safest bet.

UrFasionista

Known Member
13/10/21
The Earth
I like how all the reps say they are 10-30m waterproof but also that you shouldn't take them in the water and there is no warranty if you do.
In other words, they are probably not waterproof.

Kriley53132

25/6/20
Most are not. But I have had really good luck with my noob deep sea. Looked great in the Vegas pools this summer!!