• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

JLC MUT Grey dial impressions/short review

Zaus

Known Member
7/11/17
I recently bough Jaeger Le-Coultre Ultra Thin Master Moon grey dial watch from trusty for $288 + shipping cost. As trusty said, it was made by "small factory", so I'm really not sure what factory it is.
The watch is good looking. First watch with grey dial for me, so I was exited to get some with with grey dial. I picked up JLV MUT Grey, because I had no true classic thin watch.

Dial is shiny with sun burst effect + crystal is shiny, so combined it is almost like a darker mirror. Crystal has no or has a little AR coating from the inside surface of the crystal, so it is difficult to photograph it with ordinary phone camera. I have to find dark/black in a shade surface if I want to take decent pictures, because dial/crystal is quite shiny. In other hand good thing is that there are no AR coating on the outside of the crystal and it means that there will be no scratched coating. Just pure sapphire crystal (I would want to check it with diamond tester to be sure that it is sapphire). I had to take photos with DSLR and had to make black area around the camera to minimize shines of the crystal and dial.

In any case I like this watch, but which that there could be better AR coating on the inside of the crystal. Next step for me will be to find some good straps. Thinking to get a few suede straps, brown leather and maybe some lighter color straps. Maybe anybody could guide me where I could find good quality, but not pricy straps?

Here are some photos taken with the smartphone camera:
ZW0Uho.jpg

ZW0W9J.jpg

ZW0asP.jpg

ZW0mZW.jpg

ZW0oqS.jpg

And here are some photos which I made with DSLR and a special setup (in case to bring the real full and rich color of the grey dial):

ZW0hbs.jpg
ZW0KX3.jpg

ZW0AUY.jpg

ZW0LQD.jpg

ZW0eRk.jpg

ZW0YUR.jpg

ZW0yQ8.jpg

ZW0nhv.jpg

ZW01fK.jpg

ZW0qXQ.jpg

ZW0IxL.jpg

Last edited:

newonboard

Omega&IWC
Supporter
Certified
5/5/19
EU
Looks good. Today I accepted photos of my AZF with a clone. Yours looks a bit like a ZF from the markers or GF. ZF does not fit a small factory, so I am leaning towards GF. Take pictures of the moon. Movement is of course Miyota.

scottiedog

I'm Pretty Popular
15/7/16
I recently bough Jaeger Le-Coultre Ultra Thin Master Moon grey dial watch from trusty for $288 + shipping cost. As trusty said, it was made by "small factory", so I'm really not sure what factory it is.
The watch is good looking. First watch with grey dial for me, so I was exited to get some with with grey dial. I picked up JLV MUT Grey, because I had no true classic thin watch.

Dial is shiny with sun burst effect + crystal is shiny, so combined it is almost like a darker mirror. Crystal has no or has a little AR coating from the inside surface of the crystal, so it is difficult to photograph it with ordinary phone camera. I have to find dark/black in a shade surface if I want to take decent pictures, because dial/crystal is quite shiny. In other hand good thing is that there are no AR coating on the outside of the crystal and it means that there will be no scratched coating. Just pure sapphire crystal (I would want to check it with diamond tester to be sure that it is sapphire). I had to take photos with DSLR and had to make black area around the camera to minimize shines of the crystal and dial.

In any case I like this watch, but which that there could be better AR coating on the inside of the crystal. Next step for me will be to find some good straps. Thinking to get a few suede straps, brown leather and maybe some lighter color straps. Maybe anybody could guide me where I could find good quality, but not pricy straps?

Here are some photos taken with the smartphone camera:

And here are some photos which I made with DSLR and a special setup (in case to bring the real full and rich color of the grey dial):

Nice watch. Enjoy it mate! I bet the movement looks fantastic IRL.
:welcome:

Last edited:

WC800729

Known Member
Gold Patron
Certified
23/11/18
USA
I was considering the grey version since I already have the white dial and love it. I have been hesitating on the grey since the numerals surrounding the date dial were off centered from all the various factories versions.
Seems yours is fine, too bad you don’t know the factory. I will have to inquire again with my TD.
Regarding straps, I get mine from Ziczac and they are beautiful and inexpensive.
Beautiful watch, enjoy it.

osw880

13/11/15
Amazing photo review! Thank you so much.

The watch looks so great, OP wear in good health!

freediver

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/17
Yup very nice pictures !

The movement is noisy like all Miyota's ?

Zaus

Known Member
7/11/17
Yup very nice pictures !

The movement is noisy like all Miyota's ?

Movement is a bit noisy, but not too much. Case is thin, crown without threads, so there are a lot of places where sound can escape. In any case sound is similar to other gen watches. I have gen Omega De Ville Co-Axial with Cal. 2500 and sound of the movement is very similar. So sound don't bother me at all.

Reactions: freediver

tokrio12

Horology Curious
8/8/20
I'm loving that grey dial, such a brilliant balance between the eggshell and black versions of this watch!

Zaus

Known Member
7/11/17
So my opinion after a week of use. Watch is in good quality and good looking. Mine is ~20 seconds fast per day, so I need it to be regulated, but it is not bad. Miyota 9015 accuracy should be -10~+30 sec per day, but I red in other forums that 9015 can be easily regulated to -3~+3 sec per day, so this is exciting.

But there is a down side of this particular watch or with QC of "small factory". The moon plate is not the best quality. The paint on both moon discs are out of their frame. In pictures below moon looks worse than the hidden moon, which you can't see at the moment. Hidden moon's paint is out of the moon frame as well, but it is equally out, so it looks quite normal. Ofc for people who knows how genuine JLC moon disc looks like, moon on my watch will be instant tell, that this watch is not authentical.

I like this watch in overall and will update if there will be any issues or other important news. It cost was 288$ + shipping, so for this is fair price in my opinion.
ZinPW5.jpg

Zinsj3.jpg
Zin4un.jpg
ZinuIs.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: henchr and osw880

Wguugw

Horology Curious
3/11/19
Solid review. Thank you for the excellent pics. This helps inform my decision to purchase this watch.

Ove509

Looking Around
13/12/20
FR
Stunning pictures another one in my bucket list. Thanks for the review. I hesitate between the black and Grey dial, Grey dial may be more unique imo.

Dicentim

Known Member
19/11/20
Thanks for this great review.
What a pity it does not come with silver dial.
288$ is pretty cheap compared to the 428$ of the GF V2 model.
I can't decide which factory is making the best version with correct date.

Dicentim

Known Member
19/11/20
Yes 140$ difference with the same Miyota than the "misery factory".
I have no confidence in AZF clone movement, not enough feedback on it.

miscusi

10/10/20
NYC
(I would want to check it with diamond tester to be sure that it is sapphire).
I will help you with that.. all u need is your hand, you can feel the difference between mineral glass, and sapphire. you simply clean the watch crystal, and then rub your fingernail over it. do that to several watches and you will feel the difference.

Last edited:

Zaus

Known Member
7/11/17
I will help you with that.. all u need is your hand, you can feel the difference between mineral glass, and sapphire. you simply clean the watch crystal, and then rub your fingernail over it. do that to several watches and you will feel the difference.

I checked it with diamond tester and it is indeed sapphire crystal.

Reactions: miscusi

odm9421

Horology Curious
31/5/19
CONUS
Thanks for the review and pics. Was deciding between the white or grey and you sold the grey!