• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What are the key differences between ZF, GF, & VF? (JLC Master Ultra Thin Moon)

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
Hi occb2, I am sorry, did not know ,just read it. I will wait 30 days with selling and be active on this forum during this time to get me to the 25 quality post.

Sounds good brother and welcome to RWI. Take the time to read and learn. This place is a wealth of knowledge and a group of guys and gals that are freaking amazing.

Reactions: atomictoad

Fulcanelli

Known Member
7/7/19
EU
40 winds clockwise first position :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still not working unfortunately. Do you mean pull the crown out to first position and wind or wind with the crown in? It doesn’t seem to change in terms of feeling any resistance when I wind it unlike my other watches.

Last edited:

Fulcanelli

Known Member
7/7/19
EU
Just had a look at the gen in the airport and noticed a few differences with the GF v2 firstly, the texture of the dial. On the gen it is way more textured. To be fair they had it under strong spot lights, but I couldn’t recreate the textured effect using the light on my phone for example. Also the moon looked completely flat on the gen. I had read on here that it should be slightly concave and the GF was better than the ZF for example. To my eye, I am not sure that’s correct.

I must say I was a little disappointed when I saw the gen. I definitely don’t think you would be called out wearing the rep but with a side by side comparison I don’t think it would stand up to scrutiny. Just my opinion.

Fulcanelli

Known Member
7/7/19
EU
Just had a look at the gen in the airport and noticed a few differences with the GF v2 firstly, the texture of the dial. On the gen it is way more textured. To be fair they had it under strong spot lights, but I couldn’t recreate the textured effect using the light on my phone for example. Also the moon looked completely flat on the gen. I had read on here that it should be slightly concave and the GF was better than the ZF for example. To my eye, I am not sure that’s correct.

I must say I was a little disappointed when I saw the gen. I definitely don’t think you would be called out wearing the rep but with a side by side comparison I don’t think it would stand up to scrutiny. Just my opinion.

Had another look on the way back through the airport lol. This time I noticed that the gen had a plastic wrapping on! this probably accounts for the texture I could see on the dial. I stand by my previous comments regarding the moon though. To my eye the gen moon looked completely flat. Not convex and no border around the edge. I dont know if they have changed it or if people are mixing up the ZF and GF?

Interested to hear other people's comparisons on the moon with gen.

Also figured out the winding on the GFv2. If you are having trouble, its 40 winds clockwise with the crown pushed in, not pulled out at all.

Fulcanelli

Known Member
7/7/19
EU
More detail on the moon in the moonphase for those interested:

GF v2 - ( I own it) has a border around the edge and is slightly concave. Looks like it is a sticker applied on to the starry sky background.

ZF - (I have only seen pictures online) no border around edge and looks flat. Also looks like a sticker applied on to the starry sky background.

Gen - (seen IRL) has a border around the edge and looks flat. Does not look like a sticker imo, it looks like it is set recessed behind the starry sky background with a cut-out to see it (hope that makes sense).

So both reps are incorrect imo. On balance the GFv2 is probably closer because of the border but it is by no means perfect.

LHD_Kid

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/4/20
Nobody has mentioned the VF version yet? I have one and will take some pictures and make some observations soon... I think it is the weakest of the 3...

Fulcanelli

Known Member
7/7/19
EU
The movement in my GFv2 is really rubbish. It might stop half way through the day, and the power reserve is a couple of hours at best, no way it will still be running in the morning if you take it off at night. I have quit wearing it because of this, but my wife would like to start wearing it. My question is; what is the movement inside and can it be tuned up or swapped out for something better? or is it a lost cause?

LHD_Kid

6/4/20
The VF version uses the Miyota 9015 movement, with a decoration plate. Usual noise problems, but quietened a little with some careful lubrication.

Dial is quite good, nice colour. Logo is reasonable unless viewed with macro photos. Alignment of all markers is good, as is the look of the moonphase dial.

Case finishing is good, correct size. Pusher changes date, one push per day.

This is where the positives end.

The strap is the usual junk, the clasp is really not nice feeling at all. Sharp edges and unpleasant to use.

The 2 biggest issues by far are the moonphase, which is not moonphase but day/night indicator...

And... Wait for it...

Miss-spelling of the word "Jaeger" on the movement!!!

​​​​​​Yes, that's right.... They put "Aeger" :rofl:

Some pictures to round this off:
BTUh4.jpg
BTLQ1.jpg
BThxK.jpg
BTAUv.jpg
BTefj.jpg
BTWnI.jpg
BTasc.jpg
BTmZX.jpg
BToIi.jpg
BTIxp.jpg
BTqXb.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TidusKun

LHD_Kid

6/4/20
Yes, I have one on order and await the QC pics. (as well as a Master Reserve de Marche)

Reactions: Seefeld

TidusKun

Renowned Member
28/9/19
R Factory
I pulled the trigger on YLF as recommended by Li from jtime.. (had a ZF on the way from M2M but the parcel has gone missing/stolen)...

GL'd the watch already, here's a snap!

flikflak22

Horology Curious
26/4/20
Hi there,
I'm new to the rep world and I've decided that this beautiful JLC was going to be my first rep purchase..
The difference between GF V2 and ZF is now clear to me, and I guess as everybody said it depends on your own preferences (would you rather have sharper text or would you rather have a border around the edge).
I had finally decided that the sharper text was more important to me, therefore leaning towards the ZF model.
But now that YLF has released their own model, I'll patiently wait until someone can give us some feedback / comparison :)

MwahahahaXYZ

2/6/20
Same for me, I was about to go for a RG GF V2 but now I think I'll wait for info about the YLF/AZF models... Or not!

Flat moon is a deal breaker for me so I did not consider ZF and VF are just out of the game. I also don't care for the back so maybe I should just go for GF V2 and be happy wearing my watch ^_^

Reactions: Denny14

cnwh

27/10/13
Very interesting. Keep us posted. This is by far my most favourite clean moon phase. Still waiting for the right time and impulse mine to bite the bullet

shortlegs

31/5/19
There is a similar comparison thread posted.

ZF is better than GF in every way except on the moon.

Not entirely true though. The dial for the ZF is off, it only starts curving down closer to the edge, unlike the gen and GF, which starts curving down near the inner border of the hour markers.