• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What are the key differences between ZF, GF, & VF? (JLC Master Ultra Thin Moon)

moopsy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/6/19
My two cents. I went with the GF V2.

Each rep is so close to the gen that the minor improvements on the ZF didn't really matter to me. Plus ZF is notorious for poor QC, so I didn't want to deal with that. The better moon sealed the deal for me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Honestly that is also a very fine choice. Agreed we’re splitting hairs on details only visible from 18 inches away, totally a matter of preference.

Sent from the RWI App

moopsy

13/6/19
My two cents. I went with the GF V2.

Each rep is so close to the gen that the minor improvements on the ZF didn't really matter to me. Plus ZF is notorious for poor QC, so I didn't want to deal with that. The better moon sealed the deal for me.

One more positive note for you - I just took a look at the QC photos of your rose gold GF v2. It actually looks a bit different and improved from the silver dial GF (presumably v2) I was sent a recent QC photo of last week.

Your logo is better aligned and gen-like. (Sorry, I can’t figure out how to upload this QC photo of the silver dial GF, so just take my word for it)

Reactions: evanshall

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
One more positive note for you - I just took a look at the QC photos of your rose gold GF v2. It actually looks a bit different and improved from the silver dial GF (presumably v2) I was sent a recent QC photo of last week.

Your logo is better aligned and gen-like. (Sorry, I can’t figure out how to upload this QC photo of the silver dial GF, so just take my word for it)
This is an important point, all my input is on the silver dial. I have no idea about the RG

moopsy

13/6/19
Another thing I wanted to add, I keep seeing statements that the Gen markers are flat on the dial. I don't think that's true. Look at the 7 and 8 markers on this gen dial.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0VV1guHWTK/?igshid=2aklh5gqmw2d

That’s true, but I think it’s a matter of degrees though... don’t think i’ve seen any photos of the markers sticking up quite as noticeably on any gen as some markers on the reps (including the silver dial ZF I have now, I definitely has a couple of floating markers). Doesn’t bother me though, very minor nit we’re picking.

anecdotally, the two gens I’ve inspected up close had no markers sticking up at all.

Sent from the RWI App

Reactions: evanshall and csthe

THXuk

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
25/3/06
London
4 sets of GF QC pics so far, and all had obvious flaws, and dealer agrees. I may have to switch to XF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ssouthall6

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/10/13
Another thing I wanted to add, I keep seeing statements that the Gen markers are flat on the dial. I don't think that's true. Look at the 7 and 8 markers on this gen dial.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0VV1guHWTK/?igshid=2aklh5gqmw2d

You're spot on. The markers float on the gen.

699d4cdbd5cc7e6f82a8d6c68e8d5704.jpg

Look at the 7 marker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KSwatches

boomerknox

10/5/18
CONUS
I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these soon, and looks like it'll be ZF! After looking through them and reading the VF moon dial is too bright of a blue to me and I don't care to deal with all the GF QC issues

boomerknox

10/5/18
CONUS
Anyone have knowledge on the differences between the GF v1 and v2? Did they fix most of the QC issues?

evanshall

Horology Curious
20/6/19
I have a RG GF V1. At first glance, the "Jaeger LeCoultre" printing on the dial looks better on the V2.

THXuk

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
25/3/06
London
My GF v2 is currently with Prof having new AR applied. I should have it back in 3-4 weeks. Then ill post pics ;)

Reactions: Razorig2

Fulcanelli

Known Member
7/7/19
EU
How easy is it to service the movement (and particularly moonphase) On the GF v2? Is it something a regular (and rep friendly of course) watchsmith can do cheaply?

Last edited:

Razorig2

8/6/18
London
Can anyone please take some clear macro shots of the GFv2 moonphase and the movement?

Really looking to pull the trigger on this piece.

Fulcanelli

Known Member
7/7/19
EU
Does anyone have pictures of their GF v2? I’ve just received my qc pictures and the 6 is badly off so I will reject. All of the markers are floating quite dramatically but I’ve read this is a feature of the genuine, is that correct?

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
Does anyone have pictures of their GF v2? I’ve just received my qc pictures and the 6 is badly off so I will reject. All of the markers are floating quite dramatically but I’ve read this is a feature of the genuine, is that correct?

They float on the genuine. Also the 6 marker is very hard to tell that it's "off". It looks off depending on the angle of the picture... due to its floating nature. It is hard to tell, ask for more angles.

PG7777

Known Member
27/1/19
Yes you should ask for pictures from a different angle.

I also had the same feeling on my QC pictures, but other pictures make me think that 6 o’clock should be ok.

I’m personally more worried about the “Automatique” .. Let’s see when I get the watch

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant RWI

Fulcanelli

Known Member
7/7/19
EU
Here is a straight front shot. Something around the 6 area seems off to me . Either the marker or the word ‘Swiss’ what do you guys think?