• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What are the key differences between ZF, GF, & VF? (JLC Master Ultra Thin Moon)

ibsteroni

Looking Around
2/7/19
Hey, I'm ordering my first replica. The watch I've chosen is the JLC Master Ultra Thin Moon, the three factories I'm torn between are the ZF, VF V2, and GF. Could anyone tell me which of them makes the best replica? From what I've been able to gather GF has the better moon phase but isn't as close to the original, and that ZF seems to have QC issues but I'm still confused, help?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mille Voci

King Pound Cake

Horology Curious
20/6/19
I'm a bit new here myself and just ordered my first rep, the JLC ultra thin moon. I would personally pass on VF v2, because I believe (not 100% sure) that it's not a true moonphase unlike GF and ZF.

I personally went with ZF since the dial had better text (more sharp and thinner like original) compared to GF. Also even though the open case back is a clear tell that it's a rep, the ZF movement has a much cleaner engraving imo, even though GF has the rotor closer in rose gold color to gen. One downside is that the hour markers tips sometimes float on ZF while on gen they're flat on the dial. In addition to that, if you want the better moonphase go with GF v2 that they just put out which modified a few things making it better than their v1.

My last recommendation is to pull up pictures of ZF and GF
I'd rate them as ZF>GF V2>FV V2

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
I'm a bit new here myself and just ordered my first rep, the JLC ultra thin moon. I would personally pass on VF v2, because I believe (not 100% sure) that it's not a true moonphase unlike GF and ZF.

I personally went with ZF since the dial had better text (more sharp and thinner like original) compared to GF. Also even though the open case back is a clear tell that it's a rep, the ZF movement has a much cleaner engraving imo, even though GF has the rotor closer in rose gold color to gen. One downside is that the hour markers tips sometimes float on ZF while on gen they're flat on the dial. In addition to that, if you want the better moonphase go with GF v2 that they just put out which modified a few things making it better than their v1.

Great first post!
I completely agree.

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
kobe24 you have connections with zf, do you know if they are planning to release v2 with bet moon phase?

bpbp

Renowned Member
14/12/13
USA
kobe24 you have connections with zf, do you know if they are planning to release v2 with bet moon phase?

Even they do , won't tell anyone, because who will bought v1 in stock since if people know there will have V2 come.
they keep making v1, V2 something , so people will keep buying, that is how they idea to keep make money, never release perfect rep on first version....lol

Reactions: csthe

ibsteroni

Looking Around
2/7/19

Thanks for the help! Ordered it.

King Pound Cake

Horology Curious
20/6/19
The window on the back of the watch that shows the movement on the inside is not that close to gen, and it's a clear way to tell that it's a replica. However, no one will ever see that since it will be on your wrist haha.

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
VMSG any reason why you sold your MUT moon ZF version?

Not sold yet ;)
I have a function system I'll post one day. In short I have a watch per style (black, brown, white, blue) and function (work, friends, vacation, weekend, etc). So every watch is used (some daily and some once a month). I put my JLC moon for sale, even though this is a great watch and I love it, because I want to buy another watch that "sits" on the same "function"...

Reactions: King Pound Cake

King Pound Cake

Horology Curious
20/6/19
Not sold yet ;)
I have a function system I'll post one day. In short I have a watch per style (black, brown, white, blue) and function (work, friends, vacation, weekend, etc). So every watch is used (some daily and some once a month). I put my JLC moon for sale, even though this is a great watch and I love it, because I want to buy another watch that "sits" on the same "function"...

Hey I respect and can totally understand that! One last thing, and it might be a bit nit picky. Do you know if the has a 135 toothed gear or a 59 toothed gear for the moonphase? I'll either find that out every 2 years or every 122 years depending on the gear lol

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
Hey I respect and can totally understand that! One last thing, and it might be a bit nit picky. Do you know if the has a 135 toothed gear or a 59 toothed gear for the moonphase? I'll either find that out every 2 years or every 122 years depending on the gear lol

LOL I don't know...

moopsy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/6/19
I went into a TD today, guns blazing, ready to buy a ZF... and he told me he thinks the GF v2 is overall better, so it’s thrown me for a loop. Thanks for your thoughts, will have to take another look at both.

Reactions: Jayalvin777

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
I went into a TD today, guns blazing, ready to buy a ZF... and he told me he thinks the GF v2 is overall better, so it’s thrown me for a loop. Thanks for your thoughts, will have to take another look at both.
It is really a matter of choice, GF moon is better for example...
And keep in mind that your TD has its own considerations (profit margin, stock and etc)

Reactions: moopsy

ffuhcu

14/7/16

I believe it's 59, same as gen.

Reactions: King Pound Cake

moopsy

13/6/19
It is really a matter of choice, GF moon is better for example...
And keep in mind that your TD has its own considerations (profit margin, stock and etc)

Thanks for these thoughts... I imagine for a TD, the inconsistent QC out of ZF is a big hassle vs. GF and a consideration. I partially worked around the QC issue by finding a ZF on m2m here.l in good shape.

Also, in case it’s helpful to anyone else considering both factories... i ended up going with a ZF based on the better overall dial and details on the watch, aside from the moonphase. Maybe things you can’t see unless your face is up close and personal with your watch, but the ZF’s more accurate JLC logo, printing, and the button on the moonphase subdial made me go ZF over GF.

Sent from the RWI App

King Pound Cake

Horology Curious
20/6/19

I'm curious, which TD told you this? I went to a non TD myself and they told me the same thing.

moopsy

13/6/19
I'm curious, which TD told you this? I went to a non TD myself and they told me the same thing.

prefer not to call out a TD publicly on it, especially since I think he was trying to be helpful. I might even agree GF looked better from the QC pics I saw (moonphase especially), save for the couple of flaws that were dealbreakers for me and my OCD (the logo especially).

Sent from the RWI App

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
prefer not to call out a TD publicly on it, especially since I think he was trying to be helpful. I might even agree GF looked better from the QC pics I saw (moonphase especially), save for the couple of flaws that were dealbreakers for me and my OCD (the logo especially).

Sent from the RWI App
I agree with your point of view, there is no clear winner here. Both are very good and it is a matter of personal preference (moon vs dial, etc)

evanshall

Horology Curious
20/6/19
My two cents. I went with the GF V2.

Each rep is so close to the gen that the minor improvements on the ZF didn't really matter to me. Plus ZF is notorious for poor QC, so I didn't want to deal with that. The better moon sealed the deal for me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk