• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

MASTER ULTRA THIN MOON ZF Side by side with Gen comparison.

yiric

Horology Curious
2/11/18
Anyone know if the new GF V2 fixed the old flaws and improved on the dails?

the new question is now GF V2 or ZF...black or silver dial

Updog

18/7/19
Get the GF black dial. Won't be able to see the lifting/floating markers as easily

KSwatches

Trusted Dealer
29/11/18
Get the GF black dial. Won't be able to see the lifting/floating markers as easily

Gen has floating markers as discussed on other thread.

Maybe there are different gen batches but plenty of gens have the floating markers. I believe it’s a design intent. The shadow cast by the floating markers gives the impression of a more 3D geometry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Dmage

andre233

1/8/13
Big question for me is white or black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fettersack111

Known Member
13/1/19
Germany
Big question for me is white or black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'd recommend the white/grey dial. It look stunning. I've tried the black on at the AD and felt it wears a little small. And it would look amazing under white shirts or classy occasions. Legibility is also much better :)

ebitdaddy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/11/19
Moon and stars on the moonphase look really, really off relative to gen.... is that just me or is that a known flaw on this model?

shortlegs

31/5/19
The curvature of the ZF dial is wrong though. It only starts to curve towards the outermost section of the indices, rather than at the innermost.

And the moon phase is just... bad.

I'm not sure if the rest of ZF is truly better than GF, since sellers tend to prefer GF, although its suspected that its due to ZF's poor QC. But even if that was true, to me, it doesn't matter if it looks more crisp, if the dial and moon phase gives it away from further away.

KSwatches

Trusted Dealer
29/11/18
0d74cc8724c9059b51c485cdee9d3d14.jpeg

I’ve handled/sold both ZF and Gf (various colours). I think they are both very good. Nothing looks off about either one irl. I prefer ZF overall. Just looks more premium and high quality to my eyes and that’s the main thing. GF has better strap, if that means anything.

Reactions: TimepieceTalk

KSwatches

Trusted Dealer
29/11/18
The curvature of the ZF dial is wrong though. It only starts to curve towards the outermost section of the indices, rather than at the innermost.

And the moon phase is just... bad.

I'm not sure if the rest of ZF is truly better than GF, since sellers tend to prefer GF, although its suspected that its due to ZF's poor QC. But even if that was true, to me, it doesn't matter if it looks more crisp, if the dial and moon phase gives it away from further away.

Have you handled both side by side or are you comparing pics.

GF is cheaper to get from factory...hence sellers preference.

It’s a different thing when you see in real life and appreciate the overall quality. The moon phase may look “off” in pics but in real life, it’s fine. It’s so bloody small and covered with reflections etc that any difference between gf and ZF is academic.

Just my personal opinion

Last edited:

shortlegs

31/5/19
Have you handled both side by side or are you comparing pics.

GF is cheaper to get from factory...hence sellers preference.

It’s a different thing when you see in real life and appreciate the overall quality. The moon phase may look “off” in pics but in real life, it’s fine. It’s so bloody small and covered with reflections etc that any difference between gf and ZF is academic.

Just my personal opinion

No I have not held them both in hand side by side, but I don't think that is a prerequisite to form an opinion.

If I can tell the difference in the moon phase even when viewed through the less than stellar quality videos by the Chinese sellers, then my natural conclusion would be that I do not have to hold them in hand to see the difference.

Note that I have never refuted the claim that ZF has better quality. I simply pointed out that the dial and moon phase matters more to me as they can be picked up even before the better quality of the ZF comes into play.

Last edited:

ssouthall6

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/10/13
I've handled both, and the gen.

I'm perhaps a little biased as the ZF I got was m2m and caused me a load of problems. It's still in pieces a year later.

The ZF has indices that lift at the edges. This is incorrectly listed as a flaw - having tried on the gen, this was the case on that too. However obviously QC plays a part, some I've seen have been a little too lifted, it's very subtle.

There is a small difference in the dial - the J is very slightly different on the ZF, closer to gen.

Otherwise, I have to question if it's the same watch. Everything else is practically identical bar the Canon pinion and moonphase.

The moonphase is completely flat on the ZF. Unfortunately this is a glaring flaw. The moon is meant to be concave in texture. GF is not perfect but is much closer.

Flip the watch over and not much to see - a crappy miyota with some decoration.

It looks good from the front, you can be happy with both models, but for me GF is the one to go for.

Don't have any pics of my GF as it's in storage but I have an old ZF one, and gen here:

ZF

554b4c1b2e45fbaa6cb3f1aa9e906441.jpg

Gen

a7fd7bd694681a6bdd253d361e8cc538.jpg

Fulcanelli

Known Member
7/7/19
EU
It’s interesting that even those who have handled both ZF and GF versions still hold differing opinions over which is best. I have a GF v2 on the way because I read that the moon phase is superior. I still had to reject the first one because of a wonky marker so QC is not perfect.

those that prefer the ZF seem to talk about superior overall quality, but I am not quite sure what this means? Does it mean for example that the case or materials used in the GF version are poor?

I have read that the J in the dial logo is slightly better on the ZF but I don’t see any difference to my eye.

pinprinz

Looking Around
26/1/19
Hi, i am new here. I have just order this model too but it is a cheaper version. Don't know what the factory from. Here is my QC pic need to be approved. Just want to share and need some comments. Thx u.

Smart-Select-20191229-202947-Chrome.jpg

IMG-1263.jpg

IMG-1262.jpg

IMG-1261.jpg

IMG-1260.jpg

IMG-1259.jpg

IMG-1257.jpg

IMG-1258.jpg

mpx

I'm Pretty Popular
6/2/20
Austria
How reliable are those movements? I thought about adding a nice dresswatch to my collection and this one is really gorgeous. The only issue I see with it are the complications. I won't wear the watch that often as I'm more of a sports watch guy and I'm not sure if I would really want to set the moonphase everytime I wear this watch. That's why I'm leaning a bit more towards a simple 3 hand watch, maybe even without a date window. I'm a bit torn between this one and a gen Nomos Orion 35.