• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

JLC NSD - Is the crown mechanism true to gen?

Stoozak

6/2/15
I’ve always wondered if the Noob JLC NSD had an actual compressor crown like the gen. This eve I had a spare hour or two while the wife was out so I figured I’d satisfy my curiosity and look.

*please forgive the crap pics, it was a low light situation.

In the gen turning the crown to the close position causes a cone shaped thingy to compress an o ring against the tube and also squeezed tight around the o-rings on the stem itself. This vid gives you an idea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOaRkiTIk54

To get to the crown wings off you have to first undo the little stopper screw on the bottom edge of the mechanism.

Once that little guy is out, you just release the step from the movement and unscrew the crown wings. Now we can see the guts of it all.

The crown has 2 o-rings

Then we can have a look at the rest of the parts, and behold, the same cone shaped thing and o-ring! It would seem the rep uses the same method of sealing as gen.

I have no doubt that JLC has a few design tricks up their sleeve, but it is interesting that Noob went to the trouble of replicating the basic principal.

Last edited:

Stoozak

6/2/15
I should also mention that the tube of the rep also has an o-ring, the same as the gen, you can see it here:

kTPSEa9l.jpg