• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF Master Ultrathin Moon

GregH

Known Member
25/6/18
That rose gold one was not mine. It's hard to decide which one is better but I can give you some infos. Talking about AR coating I think the white dial is the best because it has colourless AR for what I've seen. The black dials have turquoise AR while on the gen is more dark blue. Talking about readability the black dial has more contrast and it is easier to read even at night, plus the gold moon is sexy af and really pops since it's the only coloured thing in the dial. In my opinion the black dial is also more versatile and slightly sportier if you use a matte black leather strap (many users will disagree about this).

The rose gold is obviously the most good-looking, black and gold contrast is a timeless elegance, but it is also the one with the biggest tells and flaws, such as the lack of the Boutique Edition print on the back, and since it's gold plated, its weight.

If you are planning to use it everyday or often buy a Stainless steel model, if you want a dress watch to use only on special occasions or once a month buy the RG.

During QC verification check the markers if are crooked (that's pretty possible), if the screws on the back are damaged (mine came with some and I had to buy replacement screws which are hard to find), check if the date hand aligns with the numbers and if the printing is accurate.

A problem that I had was that the moon that was hidden under the subdial was heavily scratched and this was not visible during QC, fortunately my TD told me about it and I had the moon replaced.

Hope this helps

Wow thankls VIV54 for the extremely useful information! Do you think it's very rilevant the difference in weight between the rosegold rep and gen? i plan to use the watch exclusively for some special occasions, i usually use more sporty watches, so this will be my main and only dress watch (for now of course). There are other flaws in the rosegold version apart the obvious tell of the special edition engraving? in your opinion there's another dress watch that i coudl take in consideration (i would like to have the most gen like watch)
btw thanks again for the informations (and for your endorsmement to the VSF Omega in the omega section! i was looking at that watch for my next gift )

VIV54

Renowned Member
13/12/17
Wow thankls VIV54 for the extremely useful information! Do you think it's very rilevant the difference in weight between the rosegold rep and gen? i plan to use the watch exclusively for some special occasions, i usually use more sporty watches, so this will be my main and only dress watch (for now of course). There are other flaws in the rosegold version apart the obvious tell of the special edition engraving? in your opinion there's another dress watch that i coudl take in consideration (i would like to have the most gen like watch)
btw thanks again for the informations (and for your endorsmement to the VSF Omega in the omega section! i was looking at that watch for my next gift )

It depends if you buy the rose gold with grey/black dial or white one. The white one doesn't have the boutique edition flaw since it's just a standard edition.
The difference in weight for a dress watch is normally different than a sport watch since dress watches are lighter, but it's still there. Just know that gold weights twice than stainless steel.

Other dress watches you can take in consideration are the JLC Ultra thin date, but the rep is thicker than gen, same for the PP Calatrava.

The MUT Moon is amazing because it has the same thickness than the gen and JLC releases them in stainless steel too. It's really hard to find high luxury dress watches in steel, normally they are all in gold (yellow rose or white) or platinum.
And this one has a full working moonphase which imho is one of the most elegant complications. Stick to a steel version (black or silver) you will thank me in the long run, if it gets scratches you can always polish them and use them like new.

Reactions: vcappp and RobSe1

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
Just a heads up for people. I ran into an issue with mine. The hour and minute hand weren’t aligned with respect to each other (ie when the hour hand pointed at 12, the minute hand would be at 20 past). My watchmaker picked up that the minute hand was occasionally touching the raised hour markers and getting caught up. Should be an easy fix but something to be aware of

Zormin

Horology Curious
17/1/19
Mine had the same issue with the 6 marker, I took the front off the watch (it’s easy as it’s only held in place with 4 screws) and straightened it up a bit.

even though, that marker is so small when it on your wrist you won’t notice it.

How did you straighten the marker? How are the markers applied to the dial? I want to order one of these as well but in most pictures some markers are misaligned. It will drive me crazy so I'm hoping to fix any small misalignment myself.

slee220

Known Member
7/8/17
I dunno about that. I went to a jlc ad in dubai and tried the authentic one. No difference in feel with the strap or the watch. The only difference is the moonphase where the outline of the stars and moon are engraved. That's the only tell. Not the strap. Not anything else.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
I'm selling a gen strap and ZF strap in the m2m section right now. I can confirm that they're totally different. The quality of the leather, the stitching, holes, etc. Sometimes the strap is the easiest way to spot a rep, especially when it's leather.

VIV54

Renowned Member
13/12/17
Just a heads up for people. I ran into an issue with mine. The hour and minute hand weren’t aligned with respect to each other (ie when the hour hand pointed at 12, the minute hand would be at 20 past). My watchmaker picked up that the minute hand was occasionally touching the raised hour markers and getting caught up. Should be an easy fix but something to be aware of

Since I received the watch I thought it had a weak mainsprings since sometimes it was stopping after average 15 hours, but today I found with my watchsmith a problem similar to yours, the tail of the second hand was touching the hour hand. I never thought about this since Lucy told me she tested the watch, I guessed ZF messed up when she sent it back to them to change a scratched moon on the subdial (their QC is terrible btw). After the second hand was raised the power reserve of my watch is now the same as a miyota 9015 perfectly running.

Today I received a milanese mesh strap, thanks to RobSe1 for sharing the model.

aXAeD.jpg

Reactions: vcappp and Nivka

RobSe1

goes Deepsea
Supporter
Certified
23/6/17
Since I received the watch I thought it had a weak mainsprings since sometimes it was stopping after average 15 hours, but today I found with my watchsmith a problem similar to yours, the tail of the second hand was touching the hour hand. I never thought about this since Lucy told me she tested the watch, I guessed ZF messed up when she sent it back to them to change a scratched moon on the subdial (their QC is terrible btw). After the second hand was raised the power reserve of my watch is now the same as a miyota 9015 perfectly running.

Today I received a milanese mesh strap, thanks to RobSe1 for sharing the model.

aXAeD.jpg

I had the same Problem on the first batch, my second Hand was touching the crystal. I also sent it to a watchmaker who identified this.

Did you order the same Mesh strap Bro? That looks awesome, i love the watch with this strap. And it fits perfect

VIV54

Renowned Member
13/12/17
I had the same Problem on the first batch, my second Hand was touching the crystal. I also sent it to a watchmaker who identified this.

Did you order the same Mesh strap Bro? That looks awesome, i love the watch with this strap. And it fits perfect

Yes mate same mesh strap! It is a pain in the ass finding a 21mm mesh strap though. Or at least a good quality one.

Anyway guys how loud is your movement rotor? Mine after service spins even more freely, the winding efficiency is amazing but the noise is quite metallic and loud sometimes.:rolleyes:

RobSe1

goes Deepsea
Supporter
Certified
23/6/17
Yes mate same mesh strap! It is a pain in the ass finding a 21mm mesh strap though. Or at least a good quality one.

Anyway guys how loud is your movement rotor? Mine after service spins even more freely, the winding efficiency is amazing but the noise is quite metallic and loud sometimes.:rolleyes:

Yeah i was searching so long for a good! and not cheap Mesh strap.

My Rotor is still noticeable - like you sead some kind of metallic grinding sound. But its not that kind of loud that you hear it while wearing.

Reactions: VIV54

ssouthall6

10/10/13
Mine got foggy today :( this fucking watch god dammit. I took the caseback off aired it, screwed the caseback on really tight. Seems fine. Polished the caseback and screws whilst it was off, think I've found the problem. Crown becomes very loose in normal use. Every time I check it it's loose.

I love this watch but it's becoming impractical, it has to take a space on the winder else you have the pain of resetting the moonphase, the stem is stainless steel so if it breaks you're fucked. Serious labour of love this watch

ca9ffd1a3b4084a839bab5ab27d9ab79.jpg

69960a549ac25ff9189b2590dab53fd8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: kombazz and KJ2020

GregH

Known Member
25/6/18

What’s the name/model of the Milanese bracelet ????

I’m waiting the return of the td’s I will follow your advice: black, silver, new crocco strap and I will check everything you told me !

Sent from the RWI App

VIV54

Renowned Member
13/12/17
Mine got foggy today :( this fucking watch god dammit. I took the caseback off aired it, screwed the caseback on really tight. Seems fine. Polished the caseback and screws whilst it was off, think I've found the problem. Crown becomes very loose in normal use. Every time I check it it's loose.

I love this watch but it's becoming impractical, it has to take a space on the winder else you have the pain of resetting the moonphase, the stem is stainless steel so if it breaks you're fucked. Serious labour of love this watch

You probably had one of those first batch with faulty waterproofness. :wacko:
And it's not only the crown I also had some moisture on the left side of the dial with my first watch. The only solution is keep it away from water and for a dress watch is quite easy.

ssouthall6

10/10/13
You probably had one of those first batch with faulty waterproofness. :wacko:
And it's not only the crown I also had some moisture on the left side of the dial with my first watch. The only solution is keep it away from water and for a dress watch is quite easy.

Yeah I don't think ado put the caseback on properly. Its better now.

It's not a watch to go swimming in but not nice to see fog ever.

I tried gen on today btw

I
594a70d07a151398a100b5ee7c7ebc01.jpg

95a132f42e019df6067d0fc821b9f482.jpg

bfb3da849b262a5b2f7e7bfd32374446.jpg

a3c8e23e2778de40c9a699ecd9228299.jpg

5e7bda514fca814766375fbe3f8bd53b.jpg

Reactions: Mr.Paneristi

RobSe1

goes Deepsea
Supporter
Certified
23/6/17
Yeah I don't think ado put the caseback on properly. Its better now.

It's not a watch to go swimming in but not nice to see fog ever.

I tried gen on today btw

I
594a70d07a151398a100b5ee7c7ebc01.jpg

95a132f42e019df6067d0fc821b9f482.jpg

bfb3da849b262a5b2f7e7bfd32374446.jpg

a3c8e23e2778de40c9a699ecd9228299.jpg

5e7bda514fca814766375fbe3f8bd53b.jpg

Thats truely a super rep. Scary close.

- Did they use some kind of „cap“ for the Pinion?
- is the gen Dial more „silver“ and structured and not so glossy as the
rep?
- are the Minute Dots more flat on the rep?

really NWBIG imo. thx for sharing