• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF Master Ultrathin Moon

Phantomtech

I'm Pretty Popular
28/12/12
Comment from a user on r/reptime :

Sorry guys. I'll take the heat for pointing out some tells. JLC reps are easy to spot, and this one has several. See the last two pics in the imgur, and focus on the moon subdial, hands, printing, and markers. OK, here we go:

* Blue seconds hand has stains, which is impossible on this model unless it took a dunk in the ocean. It seems it's a poor paint, which means poor paint jobs will continue to flake and oxidize.
* Printing on "AUTOMATIQUE" should be flat, straight, and sit above the guilloche.
* Printing of days of the month (1, 2, 3... 30, 31) are (sorry fam!) bad. Several numbers bleed over the edge like Dali's Persistence of Memory. Spacing between the dates and dots is inconsistent - sometimes a bit left (see right of the 13), other times centered (between 23 and 12), but they mostly skew left.
* Man. This one cannot be unseen. Check out the minute markers, especially the 7 marker. It's dirty either from oxidizing or just dirt. It, along with several others, are 'lifting' from the dial - they should be flat and have an absolute mirror finish.
* "SWISS" is incorrect font and the ink bled a bit making the letters blobby. "D" in MADE is too fat.
* Took a quick look at the movement. The balance cock (the arm that holds the balance wheel) is just wrong. See gen, about half way down: [http://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/us/...es/master/master-ultra-thin-moon/1368420.html). You'll see the balance cock has a cut out for a blued screw, and two small pin holes, which hold down the arm to a plate. This is not present. Owners will spot this immediately imo.

**Anyway... I think we need to let the factories know these things. They actually listen to their buyers, and can make adjustments. It's a fun hobby. But, the finishing on this one needs work.**

Yeh yeh, whatever

RobSe1

goes Deepsea
Supporter
Certified
23/6/17

Sorry guys. I'll take the heat for pointing out some tells. JLC reps are easy to spot, and this one has several. See the last two pics in the imgur, and focus on the moon subdial, hands, printing, and markers. OK, here we go:

* Blue seconds hand has stains, which is impossible on this model unless it took a dunk in the ocean. It seems it's a poor paint, which means poor paint jobs will continue to flake and oxidize.
* Printing on "AUTOMATIQUE" should be flat, straight, and sit above the guilloche.
* Printing of days of the month (1, 2, 3... 30, 31) are (sorry fam!) bad. Several numbers bleed over the edge like Dali's Persistence of Memory. Spacing between the dates and dots is inconsistent - sometimes a bit left (see right of the 13), other times centered (between 23 and 12), but they mostly skew left.
* Man. This one cannot be unseen. Check out the minute markers, especially the 7 marker. It's dirty either from oxidizing or just dirt. It, along with several others, are 'lifting' from the dial - they should be flat and have an absolute mirror finish.
* "SWISS" is incorrect font and the ink bled a bit making the letters blobby. "D" in MADE is too fat.
* Took a quick look at the movement. The balance cock (the arm that holds the balance wheel) is just wrong. See gen, about half way down: [http://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/us/...es/master/master-ultra-thin-moon/1368420.html). You'll see the balance cock has a cut out for a blued screw, and two small pin holes, which hold down the arm to a plate. This is not present. Owners will spot this immediately imo.

**Anyway... I think we need to let the factories know these things. They actually listen to their buyers, and can make adjustments. It's a fun hobby. But, the finishing on this one needs work.**

Can you also hear the gras growing?

RobSe1

goes Deepsea
Supporter
Certified
23/6/17
where is the black beauty? My cart at toro is growing haha also ordered a 116660 and a iwc clasp, if this takes much longer i order his Shop empty lol^^ :laughing:

Reactions: VIV54

VIV54

Renowned Member
13/12/17
where is the black beauty? My cart at toro is growing haha also ordered a 116660 and a iwc clasp, if this takes much longer i order his Shop empty lol^^ :laughing:

ARF or NOOB? :)

Repworld

Mythical Poster
27/12/16
This watch will discontinued they said in Chinese forums

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joyjoyk

Known Member
10/3/18
Just wondering what the strap lengths are for this watch in the normal strap size? I know widths are 21/18mm.. any help would be much appreciated!

Limztf

13/10/12
This watch will discontinued they said in Chinese forums

That would be very sad.. hope the people who are waiting for their QCs get their watches before they finally stop producing.. myself included!

Repworld

Mythical Poster
27/12/16
That would be very sad.. hope the people who are waiting for their QCs get their watches before they finally stop producing.. myself included!

0afd05b34e7dbccca494b9f653255f24.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VIV54

Renowned Member
13/12/17
I understand it, but it's a bit strange, what's the point of selling like maybe 10-20 watches and then discontinue? :confused:

mrwobble

Horology Curious
19/7/18

* Took a quick look at the movement. The balance cock (the arm that holds the balance wheel) is just wrong. See gen, about half way down: [http://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/us/e...n/1368420.html). You'll see the balance cock has a cut out for a blued screw, and two small pin holes, which hold down the arm to a plate. This is not present. Owners will spot this immediately imo.

can someone tell me what is wrong with what he said? from what i see, some of the stuff he said is true. if a rep has flaws, then so be it. i don't see why we need to turn a blind eye to them... or am i missing something?

maybe they discontinuing if it takes too much time/effort to make.

kebu

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/7/16
How reliable is this news? Maybe its a scare tactic to make people buy by saying they will be discontinuing lol

Reactions: vcappp

Phantomtech

I'm Pretty Popular
28/12/12
can someone tell me what is wrong with what he said? from what i see, some of the stuff he said is true. if a rep has flaws, then so be it. i don't see why we need to turn a blind eye to them... or am i missing something?

I don’t think mentioning the flaws was the problem, I think it’s great that we point out to the factory all the things they need to fix.

But the way he was going on and on about the “instant tells” and how he can spot these tells from miles away is plain baloney.

These are mainly flaws only noticeable under a loupe...

Reactions: timnic54

Mr.Paneristi

12/3/18

I'm confused myself with the harsh backlash. If a statement made is inaccurate, It would be interesting to hear a constructive counterargument.

timnic54

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/2/16
Thailand
I don’t think mentioning the flaws was the problem, I think it’s great that we point out to the factory all the things they need to fix.

But the way he was going on and on about the “instant tells” and how he can spot these tells from miles away is plain baloney.

These are mainly flaws only noticeable under a loupe...

I agree.

Opinions on such things should be delivered in a measured and objective way. They should also be sensitive to the fact that they are derived from a photo of one example (very likely) speaking of one model (There are three) and without in hand comparison with a gen. Gen official photographs are notoriously heavily processed and not reliable.
When such comments are delivered references as to how they are derived should be supplied, preferably with some photographic evidence supplied by the writer.

The style of those comments are reminiscent of a 15 year old gamer on speed.

Reactions: Mr Gatsby

Gooch15

2/4/18
I agree.

Opinions on such things should be delivered in a measured and objective way. They should also be sensitive to the fact that they are derived from a photo of one example (very likely) speaking of one model (There are three) and without in hand comparison with a gen. Gen official photographs are notoriously heavily processed and not reliable.
When such comments are delivered references as to how they are derived should be supplied, preferably with some photographic evidence supplied by the writer.

The style of those comments are reminiscent of a 15 year old gamer on speed.

I was the posted initially. It was copied from r/reptime, as I noted, from this post. As is mentioned in the thread some of the issues are mostly down to this one particular watch.

I don't completely agree with all the points either but I think having a discussion rather than circle jerking is more productive.